Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dreadnought army
Old 30 Jun 2007, 20:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Aratömte
Default Dreadnought army

Hi everyone!

Wouldn't it be cool to use the trait that gives u access to use 6 Dreadnoughts?
I've been thinking trough this a long time and I'm wondering if I'm gonna do mainly Dreadnought army, if this happens this army will just be a fun army to play with and not be a hardcore list.
With drop pod I think it has a good chance.

So what do u think, is it a good idea?
Old 30 Jun 2007, 20:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant
Default Re: Dreadnought army

well i used one a couple weeks ago and i worked pretty well. but you can get really bad reserve rolls and could really screw up your plan.
Death-Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2007, 20:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Perhaps you could back them up with a Damocles command Rhino? It's got improved comms which would help a little with the reserves roll, plus you could also bring in orbital bombardment and pound the enemy's deployment zone, which would suit the theme nicely.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2007, 20:53   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Aratömte

Ye, it can screw up your plans, but according to the fluff, and the fluff is that I'm gonna have as many Dread's as possible (which is 6).
Does it sound like a fun army?
Old 30 Jun 2007, 22:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well there are a few problems with this list that you have to consider.

A) Cost: Not only will it take a lot of cash to buy the army, but it is also expensive points wise. It will cost a base of 720 just to field all the dreads with Extra Armor (Which will be required in order to protect your investment.) Then you have to add on Drop pods, weapon swaps and so forth, you can easily eat up 2/3rd of your points at 1500 pts in just 6 models.

B) Support: This ties into the first point. You will only have at MOST 780 points (Most likely less,) at 1500 to play with for support units. You can go cheap on the HQ if you want, but you really need to cut out higher cost units like LRCs and Assault squads in order to put points in bodies.

C) Frailty: This list is very frail due to the high vechiles count. A few lucky shots and you will be hurting a lot.

While point A can be solved by budgeting your points you spend to Dreads, Point B and C are going to be your weaknesses in this list.

I would personally resist the temptation to go and play 6 dreads at 1500 pts, or play them all in drop pods. Instead I would at most play 2-3 in pods, and they should ideally not be venerable as it won't really protect you as much as you may think on a CC Dread. I would also place two dreads in a ML-TLLC config with Tank hunters, that way you can hit from range and be relatively safe from anything that can really hurt you. Your Venerable here can help you out a lot more in this role than in CC. As for your remaining Dreads, never underestimate the power of the default configuration it gives you a good amount of shots and if you happen to take tank hunters you get 4 effectively S7 shots against vehicles with a chance to rend.

tanarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2007, 23:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've seen two armies like this. One was a Iron hands army that ran 2 drop podding heavy dreads, 3 walking venerables. The army was pretty solid, but you'd never win tournaments with it(cheese factor).

The other was 2 drop podded furioso's and 3 walking dreads.

I wouldn't recomend going over 5 dreadnoughts, and no more than 2 dropping. Thats me though, but it could be a solid list.
Old 30 Jun 2007, 23:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aratömte
Ye, it can screw up your plans, but according to the fluff, and the fluff is that I'm gonna have as many Dread's as possible (which is 6).
Irrespective of Tanarin's points on why it would likely be a relatively ineffective army, it does sound fun. I say stick 'em all in pods and land them as close as possible to one another. A forest of drop pods breaks line of sight very effectively, thus reducing the number of heavy weapons that can target your Dreadnoughts simulatanously. You will be outnumbered and you will need to close with the enemy very quickly, so reducing the enemy's line of sight should be a priority for you. But whether it works or not is not all that important, it'll be a great army to play with; one that breaks all the conventions and enforces its will in a brutal display of force. It'll be an impressive sight whether you win or not.

Check out this article for inspiration.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 01 Jul 2007, 02:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aratömte
Irrespective of Tanarin's points on why it would likely be a relatively ineffective army, it does sound fun. I say stick 'em all in pods and land them as close as possible to one another. A forest of drop pods breaks line of sight very effectively, thus reducing the number of heavy weapons that can target your Dreadnoughts simulatanously. You will be outnumbered and you will need to close with the enemy very quickly, so reducing the enemy's line of sight should be a priority for you. But whether it works or not is not all that important, it'll be a great army to play with; one that breaks all the conventions and enforces its will in a brutal display of force. It'll be an impressive sight whether you win or not.

Check out this article for inspiration.
Oh. I never said it wouldn't be a fun army to play. Infact if I had the money I would make one. I was just pointing out the possible difficulities in such an army on the tabletop. Of course it won't win tournaments if you play in them (With the exception of maybe an Iron Hand's army) due to Spyder's mentioned Cheese markdown.

tanarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2007, 02:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've played against it before. 6 of the darn things. All drop podding. I thanked my lucky stars I had melta weapons that day otherwise that would've been a slaughter*

Especially after he turned his "Techmarine powerfist retinue of doom" loose on me
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2007, 02:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanarin
Oh. I never said it wouldn't be a fun army to play.
And I never said you did. I just said it'd still be fun despite the tactical shortcomings possessed by such an army. The points you made were right on the money, I just didn't want Aratömte to be put off by them.