Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

which HQ do you use most and why???
View Poll Results: What HQ do you use in your sace marine armies (you can tick up to 2)
Company Captain 3 5.36%
Company Master 23 41.07%
Reclusiarch 3 5.36%
Master Of Sanctity 9 16.07%
Codicier 3 5.36%
Epistolary 11 19.64%
Techmarine (with scions of mars) 4 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Jun 2007, 13:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default which HQ do you use most and why???

i got to thinking recently that i hardly ever see some HQ choices

what HQ do you use and why

i have voted for techmarine and librarian. my libby has an infiltrating command squad with 2 lascannons and he has fury of the ancients - they are a general annoyance unit with some tank busting thrown in.

my techmarine has full harness, lightning claws (sometimes swap for thunder hammer/plasma pistol), Iron halo, either terminator armour (if i want to deepstrike - i remove the iron halo for a mantle if i take that option) or sometimes a bike.

techie is attached to either a terminator squad (when he's in termi armour ) and deepstrikes with some terminators or is attached to a full bike squadron of 6 bikes and attack bike.

sometimes i just give the techie an iron halo/terminator honours and attach him to some veterans and go hunting

so i have a fasination for techmarines
Old 27 Jun 2007, 14:28   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: which HQ do you use most and why???

I play Black Templar so my reasons are a little different. I take the Marshal(Master) for the leadership bump for Rightious Zeal. And I take the Chaplain to my my charges even MORE deadlly. Immagine, 30 3+ to hits, with re-roll, and then 30 4+ to hit, with re-roll.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2007, 14:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, first off, an Epistolary is always better than a Codicier. Not currently using one, but if I ever do have a Librarian, it's always an Epistolary.

I voted for the Master and Master of Sanctity. Currently I'm running both. Throw the Commander a Storm Bolter and you've got an 80-point LD10 spreader on the field. Plus, with his statline, he can fend off light assaults and possibly swing heavier ones in your direction. However, he's not so great against heavier troops.
Now, the brawn to the Master's brains is my Chaplain. He's what's called a torpedo, a tactic I picked up from Mal. He's got a bike, power fist, Terminator Honours, Artificer Armour, and the Adamantine codpiece. He can turbo-boost out on the first turn for that tasty 2+ invulnerable save, and at his improved toughness and immunity to instant death, he's very hard to kill. Then, with his power fist and Crozius, he can kill anything (don't forget Litanies of Furry Hate). He's capable of collapsing an entire flank on his own. Plus, if you really need it, he can be a great counter-charge unit, especially when combined with another squad. At well over 200 points, you might think it hard for him to get his points back; in fact, it's very reliable.

Now, back to the Librarian. For quite a while, I had an Epistolary lead my drop pod army. And it worked. He's great at killing the big gribblies and can kill the little guys with either Might of Heroes or Veil of Time (not that he can also take Fear of the Darkness or another power, another reason why Epistolary>Codicier) and can increase his Initiative. He could also cast MoH on the command squad's Sergeant, and extra Power Fist attacks are always tasty.

I've also used a Reclusiarch to lead Assault Marines, which works out very well as the Reclusiarch is a steal for what he does. Litanies of Hate, free power weapon, and Fearless in exchange for Rites of Battle (as compared to a Captain)? Yes please!

So, the only HQ that are not worth taking, IMHO, are the Captain, Codicier, and Techmarine (who has less WS, BS, and I than the others for just as much - not worth it, just take him as an Elite for cheaper).

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
O Y Montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2007, 15:53   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abael
Now, the brawn to the Master's brains is my Chaplain. He's what's called a torpedo, a tactic I picked up from Mal. He's got a bike, power fist, Terminator Honours, Artificer Armour, and the Adamantine codpiece.
Mine only has a powered armor codpiece :-\

The Master is my definite choice. My army runs a small amount of elite troops, most are normal infantry so the LD10 is a must, and in larger games I'll also take a master of sanctity.
-The Gran Galactic Inquisitor, Lord Bag Boy of the segmentums Obscurus, Ultima, Pacificus, Tempestus, and Solar, Hunter of the pious heretics, slayer of xenos friends, and demolisher of the daemonic entity that is Pokemon. Also Lord Inquisitor of the land of the knights who say Ni, and the chief torturer of Barney the foul, and the malignant cancer that is known as teletubies. Also The slayer of all those disagree with him, and some who agree, well all who agree, I should say the slayer of All who have the misfortune to know him. Your Lord Inquisitor Nick
Inquisitor_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2007, 17:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I use a chapter master, right now he infiltrates and assaults. When the chapter finds it's land raider crusader they'll use that. If I'm not using him, Im using an Epistolary with a jump pack and veil of time with a familiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2007, 19:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I always take Belial... so I kind of had to vote for company master as he's the master of the Dark Angels first company. However for a second choice I would normally take an Interrogator chaplain in terminator armor.
Old 28 Jun 2007, 00:21   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
He's what's called a torpedo, a tactic I picked up from Mal. He's got a bike, power fist, Terminator Honours, Artificer Armour, and the Adamantine codpiece. He can turbo-boost out on the first turn for that tasty 2+ invulnerable save, and at his improved toughness and immunity to instant death, he's very hard to kill. Then, with his power fist and Crozius, he can kill anything (don't forget Litanies of Furry Hate). He's capable of collapsing an entire flank on his own.
Now THAT is beautiful....*tear*

Being a Dark Angels player, the HQ choices are a bit different than the standard Space Marine Codex, however I find myself taking the Company Master equivalent quite a bit. I like him not only for the widespread leadership but because he can help turn the tides in assault when you tool him up right.

My second favorite would have to be Epistolary (Or Ezekiel) simply because all of my opponents at my local shop hate forceweapons with a passion. Ezekiel is also a particular good character hunter in my opinion with all of his cool abilities.
Old 28 Jun 2007, 00:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Personally I always take a Master or equivalent. That leadership 10 is just something I wouldn't go without. Leadership is one of the Marines main strengths and I like to capitolise on it. As for the others it depends, I take Chaplains in some armies but I have a particular fondness for Librarians, I5 Monsters with Veil of Time and Force Weapons gives them the capacity to wipe out nasty targets before they get to swing.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2007, 16:12   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I take a Master with a command squad and inflitarte them to get a really tough team into postion early.

I also take a Master of Sanctity with an assault sqaud so that he can most effectively use his litanies of hate since the assault maries can move 12" and then assault 6" more. That way I almost always get the charge and get 30 or 40 attacks with rerolls on all the misses.
The Sword 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2007, 01:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Master of Sanctity! I have slayed so many champions in my days with the Chaplain alone.

I always have this one scenario in my mind:

"Alright, I charge into combat, My Chaplain due to his Litanies of Hate can re-roll any and all failed hits." I say.
My opponent says: "So? I have [insert majorly awesome special character here]. He has a WS of [insert characters WS here]"
Then I say: "Right then I need 3's." My opponent stares back at me (note: there are very, very few BT layers at my shop) "How?"
I say: "Preferred Enemy: Everyone."
He syas: "At least I strike First, I'm I: [Insert Intiative value]
I say: "Furious Charge"
He goes: "Dammit!"
I say: "Well, it get's worse. I'm revealing my Holy Relic"
At this point the dude is bawling his eyes out.
I say: "Well, my Chaplain is up first, uhh 7 attacks, power weapon. I need 3's to hit."

;D

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote