Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ultramarines question.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 22:35   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Ultramarines question.

My son is getting his list ready for a tournment this week end. He is using Calgar, Honour Guard, Tigurius, and Cassius as his command squad. He wants to put them in a LRC. I can not find where is say they can have a LRC as a decidated transport ( I only see Land Raider). So will I have to list the LRC under heavy support? I know that is too many points to sink into one unit, but have you ever tried to reason with a 10 year old who thiks that it would be COOL to try this? :

<><
BLACK_TEMPLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 22:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Ultramarines question.

Raiders are not dedicated transports, they occupy a heavy slot, but they can transport any unit, instead of just the unit they are attached to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 23:09   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
Raiders are not dedicated transports, they occupy a heavy slot, but they can transport any unit, instead of just the unit they are attached to.
LIES!!!! We Templar are too strong to use Rhinos as transports, and demand Landraider Crusaders!!

Wait... we're not talking Templar now are we...
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 23:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Actually as far as I know you cannot attatch Special Characters to command squads. Only normal Librarians and Chaplains. So if he wants he could take Tigurius or Cassius as his secondary HQ and then attatch them to Calgar's unit but not both.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 00:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Actually as far as I know you cannot attatch Special Characters to command squads. Only normal Librarians and Chaplains. So if he wants he could take Tigurius or Cassius as his secondary HQ and then attatch them to Calgar's unit but not both.
Actually, In my BT army I am able to take Chaplain Grimaldus and Helbrecht in the same squad. Typically, Calgar and Casius take up the the Master and Chaplain slots, then there's Tigurius* ;D. A guy at my GW store taught me this too. Be happy your son found the loophole ;D

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 01:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

There is no loophole. The rule is very specific, if you attatch special characters it's illegal not a loophole.

Now you can attatch the character in game, that's another matter. But the topic here is not that. The aspect in question is the Codex: Space Marines rule that allows a player to attatch additional HQs to a Command Squad all in the same HQ slot, which is the only way for Marines to take more than 2 HQ characters but the rule specifically says Chaplains and Librarians, not Special Characters.

Old 26 Jun 2007, 02:52   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The redshirt at our store in Memphis said that he could put them all in one squad. He was trying to talk my son out of the idea.

<><
Old 26 Jun 2007, 02:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_TEMPLAR
The redshirt at our store in Memphis said that he could put them all in one squad. He was trying to talk my son out of the idea.

<><
That doesn't make it true. Redshirts aren't given a comprehensive rules knowledge test or anything. They are often wrong. Just because a redshirt says something does not mean he is right. You cannot attatch special characters in that way.

Old 26 Jun 2007, 03:02   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

In the codex it says Librarians and Chaplains may be attached to another character's command squad. Only one of each type can be attached. It does not say that they can not be special characters.

<><
Old 26 Jun 2007, 03:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

It does not say that Special Characters can be attatched.

Note Librarians and Chaplains are a unit type, it also mentions Commanders. These are not just a name, it is a unit type. Tigurius and Cassius are not a Librarian and Chaplain respectively. They are special characters. Now in the fluff yes they are a Librarian and a Chaplain but rules wise they are Special Characters Tigurius and Cassius not a standard Librarian and Chaplain unit type.

The rules are permissive, for you to do something it has to say you can. Just because it does't specifically say Special Characters don't apply doesn't mean that they do. The rule has to specifically allow them, just as it specifically allows Chaplain and Librarian units.