Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

on the librarian.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 22:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default on the librarian.

with a familiar, and bolt pistol, our librarian friend is an I6 character who receives 5 attacks on the charge, and if there are any unsaved wounds, the model is instantly removed from combat. i was wondering if a librarian has to roll a psychic test for each wound it tries to make (each swing of the force weapon) or if it just rolls a single one and that is all. also, should he fail the test, he does cause a perils of the warp test, does he not?

also, with the veil of time power, can i choose to re-roll all of my rolls on my turn, or do i have to pick a set of roles, like all armour rolls, all wound rolls, or all to hit rolls, ect. the book mentions all of them, but makes it seem like it's an either/or situation.

combined, you'd have all of the above that got to re-roll everything it wanted, making it a melee monster! i'd really like someone to tell me i'm wrong on all accounts, but somehow i think i've described things accurately.
krupintupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 22:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: on the librarian.

You are wrong with respect to the Force Weapon. Using it counts as a psychic power, so you can only insta-kill one wounded model per turn and you cannot use it if you have already used a psychic power that turn.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 22:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Veil of time covers all of those things but you can only using during your turn, not during an opponent's turn.
About the Perils of the Warp test, I'm not entirely sure. I doubt the Force Weapon can kill you seeing as swinging a sword shouldn't obliterate the wielder but this is the 41st millennium, stranger things have happened.
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2007, 01:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

The rulebook says you 'make a psychic test for the psyker against any one opponent wounded by the force weapon' and 'the normal rules for using psychic powers apply'. So yeah, you can suffer a perils of the warp attack by using your force weapon's special ability.

I suppose stripping out something's soul is not something that just happens when the Librarian whacks it with his sword, it takes concentration and deliberate manipulation of the energies of the warp, which is pretty much the same as using a psychic power.

And yeah, Veil of Time is unspeakably horrible...if you're on the wrong end of it.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2007, 02:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

One person per turn, and they get an invulnerable save? Ok, well now, especially back home around my handbook, that doesn't seem as deadly as I'd initially thought.

It seems as if veil of time trumps nearly all of the farseer's different status-effecting powers in terms of usability, and I thought they were supposed to be like the masters of the warp. May be playing them as well, so it'd be really good to know what's what.

Sorry for veering off-topic, but I'm relieved about the librarian.
krupintupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2007, 02:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
It seems as if veil of time trumps nearly all of the farseer's different status-effecting powers in terms of usability, and I thought they were supposed to be like the masters of the warp. May be playing them as well, so it'd be really good to know what's what.
The Veil is supremely nasty, but it only ever effects the Librarian himself.

The Farseer's powers are toned down substantially for gameplay - but they still are very powerful support 'spells'.

A quick rundown:

Doom: Reroll any to-wound rolls against the targeted unit for the duration of the turn. Beware of a "Doomseer" combined with Howling Banshees!

Fortune: Allows the targeted unit to reroll all it's failed saves - especially powerful when combined with T6, 3+ save Wraithguard or Conceal, a Warlock power that grants a Cover save.

Guide: Allows a unit to reroll failed to-hit rolls. Combined with something like Fire Dragons, Dark Reapers, or a fully-gunned Falcon, it can be supremely painfull.

Mind War: Roll a dice, add Leadership, the targeted model does the same. My Farseer got a six and your Force Commander got a one? Such a pity. You just lost five wounds. Invulnerable saves are a must here!
Old 23 Jun 2007, 17:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

In my opinion, the Farseer is vastly superior to the Librarian, not in terms of close combat power, but in terms of sheer battle winning influence. The various upgrades you can take for a Farseer make it a terrifying presence on the battlefield, able to use two psychic powers a turn while being damn near impervious to a perils of the warp attack, and dramatically increasing the risk to enemy psykers!
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2007, 10:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Youngy

especially eldrad ulthran but my librarian could take him on, he took on half a tau army 750pts including oshava and came out with 1 wound

Youngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2007, 15:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngy
especially eldrad ulthran but my librarian could take him on, he took on half a tau army 750pts including oshava and came out with 1 wound
Libby versus Eldrad? My money is on the scion of Ulthwe. T4, 3+ invulnerable, can keep Fortune on himself and Doom on you permanently (not to mention Mind Waring you twice before combat)... then there's the whole "power weapon, wounds on a 2+" thing.

Besides, killing Tau in close combat isn't that much to brag about :huh:.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 21:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Yea my Epistolary in my Blood Ravens chewed through half a 1000pt IG army (the Master killing the other half) but that's not so impressive. What was impressive was cutting down a five man Grey Knight Terminator squad in one swoop before they could even strike in retaliation and then the following turn Force Weaponing the Grand Master. Oh that was sweet. Payed for himself many times over.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote