Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Black Templar Army/Restoration
Old 22 Jun 2007, 11:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Black Templar Army/Restoration

Ok, here's the sitrep - I've recently bought an old (3rd Edition) Black Templar army off a friend who was clearing out his stuff (got a very good deal given the amount of stuff included).

So in terms of models, here's what I appear to have in my possession:

- 1 Chaplain (missing a bolter arm?)
- 1 Champion (looks like an old old model of The Emperor's Champion - I've searched far and wide across the internet and haven't found a picture of it anywhere..)
- 39 Space Marines (1 Lascannon, 2 Missile, 2 Plasma, 2 Flamer, 1 Melta)
- 10 Assault Marines
- 1 Landspeeder
- 1 Dreadnought - TL Lascannons + Missile (old metal model)
- 1 Rhino (old model)
- 1 Predator - Twin Linked Assault Cannon + 2 Heavy Flamers (old model)

Books:
- Another 3rd Edition Rulebook.
- 3rd Ed Space Marine Codex
- Codex Armageddon
- Index Astartes (I)

* Given that it came in a 3rd Ed Starter Box - It looks as though its just basic space marines painted to look like Black Templars, as per the Starter set - with extra units added in.

[hr]

Just a note - I do have access to a 4th Ed rulebook of course, and my brothers 4th Ed Space Marine codex, but not the Black Templar Codex at the moment.

So my questions:
1) Is the Predator Configuration still legal in any form? (Actually if i'm not mistaken its a Baal Predator?)

2) Can someone give me an estimate on roughly how many points that would total up to be?

3) I'm looking at restoring the paintjob (it's all covered in dust) or repainting it as a different chapter altogether... thoughts? I've looked through the BT sticky threads but it's a little hard to follow without the new Codex.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 14:34   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Black Templar Army/Restoration

Quote:
1) Is the Predator Configuration still legal in any form? (Actually if i'm not mistaken its a Baal Predator?)
It is infact a Baal predator Unforunately limiting its use to a Blood Angels army. You would have to recoonfigure its weapons to be able to play it with a different army.

Quote:
2) Can someone give me an estimate on roughly how many points that would total up to be?
Just glancing at the list and using the 4th edition space marine codex point values, my rough estimate is that it is around 1200-1300 points. That estimate is on the low end however because besides what you have listed, it doesn't include any other upgrades.

Quote:
3) I'm looking at restoring the paintjob (it's all covered in dust) or repainting it as a different chapter altogether... thoughts? I've looked through the BT sticky threads but it's a little hard to follow without the new Codex.
All the marine armys are very cool and full of character, its just a matter of what play style you enjoy. One rule that sticks out in my mind regarding the black templars is that squads "Fall forward" instead of falling back if they fail their leadership from taking 25% casualties, meaning you move faster towards the enemy if you take casualties. I'd suggest heading to your local games store and checking out all the codexes and see which one you'd like to play, or head to Gamesworkshops' website and view the chapter descriptions. I'm sure you'll get some good advice here as well

Hope this helps!
Old 22 Jun 2007, 14:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well if you are going to re-paint everything you could do a Blood Angels army instead with the codex now coming in WD and all.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 15:21   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

We dont take a leadership at 25% casualties, we take them at one loss. And, if you pass, its only a D6 massacre result anyways...
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 16:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Besides we massacre towards the enemy due to righteous zeal the said unit and any attatched characters "massacre" towards the nearest visible enemy ;D. Love that rule 8)

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2007, 01:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ah, thanks guys.

I was more so wondering if it resembled a 'typical army' of sorts, but I guess it could form the basis of nearly any space marine army (I checked the models again also, no Neophytes/scouts there).

I guess yeah first thing to do after my exams is to drop by GW and do some reading then =) [ The GW website doesn't have too much on what the constructed armies actually look like... sample army lists etc ]

Ooh, no wonder the champion looked familiar - its the Dark Angels Chief Librarian Ezekiel model.
Old 23 Jun 2007, 01:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by .mace
Ooh, no wonder the champion looked familiar - its the Dark Angels Chief Librarian Ezekiel model.
Really? :P That seems interesting

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2007, 16:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I set up the army today, split it into squads, and inspected a small note that appears to be the army list... and the colours painted on the bottom of the bases.

[size=larger]Pictures: http://blog.themace.net/2007/06/40k-post-1.php[/size]

It appears to have (following the order of the photos - squads left to right, front to rear):
- Assault Squad - 10 Marines with Jumppacks
- Librarian, Chaplain
- Tactical Squad - 10 Marines - 2 Missile Launchers and Flamer (Illegal?)
- Assault Squad - 10 Marines (No Jump Packs)
- Combat Squad - 5 Marines with Plasma Cannon
- Combat Squad - 5 Marines
- Combat Squad - 5 Marines with Plasma Cannon
- Rhino
- Dreadnought - Lascannon/Missile Launcher
- Landspeeder
- (Baal) Predator

[hr]

I've dusted them off, so they're ok at the moment. I've decided to keep them as Black Templars for the time being, until I have the funds to get some Dark Angel parts (preferably the Standard Battleforce) and the Ravenwing Battleforce - at which point I'll look into repainting them all and spreading some Dark Angel bits throughout the army and bumping it up to 2000 Points with Ravenwing and Deathwing squads.

But that's only going to happen once I get my 2000 Points of Tau done... and I'll probably be starting Daemonhunters with inducted Imperial Guard and a small Movie Marines force/side project as mentioned in that post, in parallel with this army.

So thanks for the input guys =)
Old 28 Jun 2007, 17:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

You know I'd suggest using them as Blood Angels. The Baal Predator is not a legal option for any other chapter and luckily enough you have the right models to work even with the combat squads. Multiples of 5 and the distribution of heavy weapons and assault weapons, so with just a repaint you could do a decent Blood Angels army with few to no additions to it.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2007, 18:18   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Get a jet pack for the chaplain and but him with the assault squad.

Oh and he needs a bolt pistol.

and if you dont like the BA color scheme then paint them however you want and call thema successor chapter.
The Sword 88 is offline   Reply With Quote