Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New player, new chapter - some advice
Old 22 Jun 2007, 05:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default New player, new chapter - some advice

Hi all. I only recently started playing 40k. I've known about it for years and have read a lot of the fluff, but only recently allowed myself to be persuaded to start a Space Marine force.

First off, I'm far more interested in the fluff of the game than winning every game I play. I really like Space Marines because of their look and angelic iconography. I chose them pretty much on that and nothing more. (that, and the sound of the Terminator's voice in Dawn of War ("Once more into the maelstrom of battle!" gives me chills).

I started out reading the Space marines codex and decided Ultramarines were just too generic. Blood Angels looked cool, but I don't like the whole berserker thing and the vampire overtones just don't do it. Sanguinius was just too damned cool though... the wings, fighting Horus... the character, the look.. damn... wow.. anyway.

Dark Angels... REALLY liked these guys. Color scheme, Combat style slightly dark, if a tad emo. VERY cool look with the monk's robes and so forth. And... well.. then I found out more about them and their Primarch. These guys are just soo NOT the good guys (and yeah, I have a knight in shining armor complex, I need to play the good guys, or at least close to the good guys). Fluff wise I just can't identify with their motivations and personality. Their primarch is also a ruthless bastard, don't like him.

So that sort of left me hanging, until I figured it would be cool to create my own chapter, look and history.

First the core points to emphasize:
- Angelic Icons a definite. Lots. Wings, halos, flaming swords... er.. stained glass windows... you get the idea. (no happy, chubby cherubs though, they're not invited)
- Name, while done, should have something to do with Angels.
- Maybe a link to Sanguinius.

Ok, so I came up with a working idea and I'll state my reasons. Please help me with anything that doesn't make sense or could be changed to be cooler or fit in better with the 40k universe.

Rough history
Gene Seed - Blood Angels

There is one other chapter I heard of that descended from the Blood Angels gene seed and managed to conquer the black rage and blood thirst flaws. I figured if other chapters were allowed to have that then I could too.

These guys have managed to show none of the negative side effects of the Blood Angels gene seed. They do however believe that the only reason and way to maintain this is by being focused on self purification. Vows of silence outside of battle, intense meditation on the words of the Emperor, fasting etc. Very monastic order. Leaders wear robes like the Dark Angels (allowing me to scavenge models for cool parts )

Sanguinius grew wings which were fully functional and could be used for flight. To emulate this there might be an emphasis in the Chapter on assault squads using jump packs. Very old veterans might even manifest the same wing outgrowths, allowing me to put actual wings onto the models. (idea of a jump pack marine sargeant with a pair of angelic wings unfurled above was pretty cool).

Working name: Angels Errant (possible alternatives: Ash Angels, Ice Angels, Angels of Sorrow (gaah a tad emo..)

The name of the chapter took me the longest. Errant infers a journey and thus the idea of a fleet based chapter. The name Ash Angels was based on their color scheme (still to come). Ice Angels... just well... sounded nice...?

Color scheme: Fortress Grey base, Codex Grey highlights, scab red trim on shoulder pads and other points.

Unfortunately this color scheme is looking really drab, and a bit like I'd just primered them. Looks like most of the other nice color schemes have been taken so I'm going to carry on playing with this to see what I can come up with.

Anyway, any suggestions or points I've deviated from or not made sense? Anything I've missed? All input welcome and thanks in advance. (and sorry for the gigantic block of text too)
Old 22 Jun 2007, 05:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Durza
Default Re: New player, new chapter - some advice

Wow, seems like you've really done your homework, you seem to be very focussed. When I started I was going ultra marines, but decided on a few traits. I've been playing for nearly 7-8 months, and I still have barely any fluff! :P

I'm pretty sure the chapter who beat the black rage were the lamentors, who have had horrendeously bad luck, they joined the wrong side when another chapter went chaos, and when they went on a crusade to recover their honour, they were nearly wiped out by hive fleet kraken. :-\

But the wings idea sounds pretty good, maybe you could use eldar swooping hawk wings?

Also, could you show us pictures of your colour scheme?

Sorry for the rambling. :P
Durza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 05:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'OMG'WTF'BBQ (Durza)
But the wings idea sounds pretty good, maybe you could use eldar swooping hawk wings?
Bingo!

Quote:
Also, could you show us pictures of your colour scheme?
Will try to get a camera organized. Still busy playing around with the colour scheme. Would rather post it up with a few different options.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 15:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I like the idea of the army, and Angels Errant is a very cool name.

I have to say a few quick things though

1 - It is VERY unlikely for a space marine to grow wings. I'd suggest rather than having wings that grew, making them some sort of biomechanical implant. A much much larger and more powerful version of the wings found on cherubs. They'd look great on a chaplain or commander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Rat
Quote:
Bingo!
Don't do that! The swooping hawk wings are small and very distinctively Eldar looking. Its a conversion that has been done to death and just doesn't look good, or angelic! It just looks silly on a marine.

Instead I would suggest grabbing some plastic Pegasus wings from the bretonian Pegasus. They're larger and much more angelic looking.

http://ca.games-workshop.com/storefront
/store.ca?do=Individual&code=99380299008&orignav=9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 15:30   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
I like the idea of the army, and Angels Errant is a very cool name.
Agreed, and Angels Errant isn't a canon name, I looked it up. So, that could be your name if you want it to be.

I have to say a few quick things though

1 - It is VERY unlikely for a space marine to grow wings. I'd suggest rather than having wings that grew, making them some sort of biomechanical implant. A much much larger and more powerful version of the wings found on cherubs. They'd look great on a chaplain or commander.
Agreed, maybe have it be a dysfunctional implant, or zygote, like on the Black Dragons for instance, they have some geneseed problems, and they have bone blades growing out of their arms and head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Rat
Quote:
Bingo!
Don't do that! The swooping hawk wings are small and very distinctively Eldar looking. Its a conversion that has been done to death and just doesn't look good, or angelic! It just looks silly on a marine.
Alex tried that once, it looked horrible on his Dark Angels.
Instead I would suggest grabbing some plastic Pegasus wings from the bretonian Pegasus. They're larger and much more angelic looking.
That's the way to go.

http://ca.games-workshop.com/storefront
/store.ca?do=Individual&code=99380299008&orignav=9
All and all, its a very creative idea, over my Space Marine chapter that I'm going to make,a fter I assemble a Salamander Company.
Old 23 Jun 2007, 06:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the replies.

After looking at things, I'll likely go more for the WHFB pegasus wings. I also intend to use stuff like this tastefully and not go overboard gluing wings to all and sundry.

Color scheme is coming along, although my drybrushing skills need work. (everything looks like it's been through a sandstorm) Working on that next.

Came up with a nice way of differentiating leaders and heroes. Small styalized red markings under the eyes on helmets and possibly tatoos on non-helmeted figures. The markings are meant to look like the figure is crying tears of blood. (got a nasty feeling this might already have been done by a lot of people and I'm being a lot less unique than I think - still, looks cool...)

The wings, bio-mechanical implants or dysfunctional implant?

Tough one... I had just read the Black Dragons story when I came up with this, which is why I initially went with the dysfunctional implant idea. I sort of wanted it as a manifestation of their lineage from Sanguinius (who as previously mentioned, rocks mightilly and is a righteous frood).

I guess I can go with implants if it's more realistic (within the fiction of course). Sort of when a marine proves himself, they are given the implants that eventually grow into wings. Any other chapters that have anything similar to this?

Thanks again for all the help guys, awesome group here. Thanks for letting me join your party.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 23:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Does anyone know how good Sisters of Battle Seraphim/Saint Celestien wings look on marines? Just thought about it, might be cheaper than pegasus wings.

Quote:
(got a nasty feeling this might already have been done by a lot of people and I'm being a lot less unique than I think - still, looks cool...)
I wouldn't worry too much about that. Besides if anyone asks you did it first :shifty:

Quote:
The wings, bio-mechanical implants or dysfunctional implant?
Perhaps the chapters apothecaries accidentally brought a mutation to the geneseed through secret experimens which they conducted in an attempt to removethe black rage. Unknowingly they actually caused the geneseed to become more like that of their primarch. Maybe...

Quote:
I guess I can go with implants if it's more realistic (within the fiction of course). Sort of when a marine proves himself, they are given the implants that eventually grow into wings. Any other chapters that have anything similar to this?
It is rumoured that the Black Dragons apothecaries 'encourage' the growth of the ossific blades and theres always the Space Wolves fangs to concider.
That's what the new Space Marine codex relates to. Grilled puppies.

Thanks to JD for the awesome siggy
Tim the Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 01:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

My suggestion would be to have your Chapter be a Successor of the Imperial Fists and use the Black Templars rules. They give you a very knightly close combat army that you can customize your way with your own name, background and color scheme.

I know of no Blood Angel successors who have conquered the Black Rage, except perhaps a failed attempt in the 21st founding and even if they have overcome the Black Rage it hasn't done them any good.

Sanguinius is cool but all marines can have the 'angelic' emphasis. Pegasus wings work well cut down a little but you could also try Seraphim packs and swooping hawk wings as mentioned.

For your color scheme I'd suggest using something strongly contrasting. Either a black base with white scrollwork or a white base with black scrollwork. Add red as your secondary color and metalics on certain areas.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 23:07   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

You know you can always model them however you want and then use whatever rules you wish. For example, I have a friend that uses SW 13th rules on his Space Dragons army, thus he essentially has Wulfen packs but they are modeled to look like lizard men marines. I myself have used a lot of the older robed dark angels veteran models as Vet Sgt.s in my Salamanders tactical squads. All I did was hide all of the swords with purity seals which you can find off any marine sprue. You can even go farther than that. For example, I used a Chaos marine sprue to give my Salamanders a more barbaric look. My Devastator Sgt. With horns looks so awesome!

Lord Bovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 23:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A white prime with the codex grey/shadow grey highlighs leaving the joints white, trim with red gore brushed over with blood red(brings a really deep red there). You could use metalics as shoulder trims...

Just an idea, it'd be a fairly light model which I havent seen very much of with regular Space Marines, ecspecially Blood Angels.