Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Space Marine Fleets
Old 22 Jun 2007, 05:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Space Marine Fleets

Alright, I've already posted similar topics in other boards for background information for a story I'm writing. Before composing my first draft, I need to know a few things:

-Do Space Marines transport their armor and infantry up to their Battlebarges and Strike Cruisers solely by means of the Thunderhawk?

-Can any Space Marine Strike Cruiser or Battlebarge enter the atmosphere of a planet?

-What is the Battlebarge's primary means of tactical (not widespread) destruction? (Think pinpoint strikes)

-How many Marines can a Thunderhawk carry?

-When a Battlebarge wishes to make a warp jump, what are the procedures and dangers posed to nearby objects?

Thanks guys, I know we have some well-educated veterans out there.
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 05:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Space Marine Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger
Alright, I've already posted similar topics in other boards for background information for a story I'm writing. Before composing my first draft, I need to know a few things:

-Do Space Marines transport their armor and infantry up to their Battlebarges and Strike Cruisers solely by means of the Thunderhawk?
Usually, but when the need arises I'm sure they would make due with anything that had two wings and an engine.

Quote:
-Can any Space Marine Strike Cruiser or Battlebarge enter the atmosphere of a planet?
Not without staying there permanently I expect, they are just too large and not built for it.

Quote:
-What is the Battlebarge's primary means of tactical (not widespread) destruction? (Think pinpoint strikes)
Bombardment cannons and lance arrays I believe, you could look up the stats for the Battle Barge in the battlefleet gothic rules, I believe they are a free download on GW's website.

Quote:
-How many Marines can a Thunderhawk carry?
Thirty if I remember right.

Quote:
-When a Battlebarge wishes to make a warp jump, what are the procedures and dangers posed to nearby objects?
A warp jump cannot really be done anywhere, it has to be done at certain warp jump points, these are areas in the outer reaches of any given star system where the gravity pulls are little or nothing, otherwise a warp jump in the shadow of a planet, or too close to a star's, gravity would cause... nasty effects. As for procedures well there really aren't any. I don't know of really much of any documentation for that last question but most fluff pieces that mention warp jumps note the gellar fields being activated, many times the turn off of unnecessary systems, closing shutters over all the windows including the bridge window leaving the Navigator as the only viewer to the outside of the ship, at least for the jump. Latching into safety harnesses etc and usually with guns at the ready in case anyone goes insane and needs a bullet to the head or daemons breach the gellar (sp?) fields.

Ships aren't my area of expertise though so I'm not sure how accurate all that is and it is almost 1:30 in the morning for me.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 05:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
a warp jump in the shadow of a planet, or too close to a star's, gravity would cause... nasty effects
What kind of violent effects? Perhaps an engine malfunction leads to an explosion?
I'm looking for something of the like...
Old 22 Jun 2007, 15:26   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Quote:
a warp jump in the shadow of a planet, or too close to a star's, gravity would cause... nasty effects
What kind of violent effects? Perhaps an engine malfunction leads to an explosion?
Picture the souls of the ships crew(numbering in the 10s of thousands) being ripped from their mortal bodies, the psykic scream of their tormented souls being felt by the beings of the planets below, people going insane, explosions ripping the hull of the ship as it is ripped by the enormous effects of both gravity and the Warp.

The psykic backlash lasting for months...
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 16:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatus Glacies(Icer)
Quote:
Quote:
Picture the souls of the ships crew(numbering in the 10s of thousands) being ripped from their mortal bodies, the psykic scream of their tormented souls being felt by the beings of the planets below, people going insane, explosions ripping the hull of the ship as it is ripped by the enormous effects of both gravity and the Warp.

The psykic backlash lasting for months...
Excellent!
Thank you.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 20:08   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Welcome to help!
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote