Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Index Astartes: Grey Ravens
Old 19 Jun 2007, 15:48   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Index Astartes: Grey Ravens

[size=36pt]Index Astartes: Grey Ravens[/size]

[size=8pt]LEFT: Original Founding Colours of the Grey Ravens Chapter.
RIGHT: Modern Colours, adopted during the Penitence Crusade.
[/size]

The Grey Ravens were founded towards the end of M35. They were created from the Ultramarines Gene Seed, and originally intended to act as a Warden Chapter to protect the Eye of Terror region. However, shortly after the Chapter was founded, reports of massive insurrections in the Raven Cluster prompted the High Lords to send in this newly founded Chapter. It was reasoned that a full Chapter of Astartes could do more good than any Crusade Fleet, which would take far longer to gather and mobilise.

As can be expected, the campaign of the Grey Ravens was ruthless and efficient. Within three short years the entire Raven Cluster was back in Imperial hands, and the Industrial Fabrication world of Ravensburg was named as their Homeworld.

Homeworld:
Ravensburg was named after an Adeptus Mechancius Explorator ship. The vessel Ravensburg discovered the planet, and all the others making up the Raven Cluster in mid M33. Many of the planets held human colonies that through isolation had avoided the worst of the Horus Heresy. Unfortunately, as history showed, it would take nothing less than a full Astartes Chapter to fully cleanse the taint.

Ravensburg is a cold, arid place. Though once rich in raw materials, millennia of industrial processing has all but exhausted these resources, and now the planet survives primarily by means of agriculture. The titanic caverns below the surface are now home to subterranean aquatic farms that produce, slaughter and distribute their shrimp like cattle, whilst on the surface cactus like plants are farmed.

The Fortress Monastery of the Grey Ravens is built into the walls of the Dead Sea Abyss; a gargantuan crater formed when the planet’s main ocean dried up. The Astartes mined deep through the rocks, and formed a twisting maze of armouries, chapels, launch bays and fabrication bunkers around the lost ocean. Combined with void shield generators and concealed gun emplacements, the Fortress Monastery is one of the best defended in the Imperium.

Though the Chapter is now primarily Fleet Based, they retain a small garrison on Ravensburg at all times, patrolling the surrounding systems for signs of attack.

[size=8pt]Typical Ravensburg patrol formation.[/size]

The Penitence Crusade:
Though the Chapter originally held closely to the teachings of the Codex Astartes, over time they began to develop certain peculiarities. Perhaps the most noticeable, and the most dangerous, was their pride. The Grey Ravens became obsessed to the point of blinkered by their desire for glory, to the extent where they would commit to tactically inadvisable actions for the sake of honour.

This came to a head during the Baral Uprising of M38. It is reported that the Grey Ravens refused to commit their forces alongside the Jakul 19th Skirmishers, whom they considered filthy and uncouth. During a rare meeting between the Astartes and the Guard, the Mark-Captain Riddae was recorded to have said to the Grey Raven commander “you seem so determined to let them [the traitors] win, why don’t you side with them and be done with it!” Enraged, Captain Yarel shot the Guard Officer on the spot, and ignited a violent internal conflict that crippled the Imperial defenders as the Jakul and other Guard regiments battled both the Astartes and each other.

In the aftermath of the Baral Uprising, Chapter Master Razeel declared that his Chapter was tainted. “We have fallen from the Emperor’s Light,” he announced in the gathering hall, “and we must pay in blood for forgiveness.”

The Chapter set off in full force, undertaking a Crusade of Penitence that would last for almost a millennia, and leave them almost completely destroyed. They pushed outwards towards the Eastern Fringe, and into the darkness beyond the Astronomicon. For hundreds of years the Chapter battled alone in the darkness, and their deeds were recorded in great armoured vaults aboard their vessels. Their Crusade of Penitence eventually came to an end following their return to Imperial Space, when Chapter Master Razeel fell in battle. The remaining members of the Chapter, their honour and faith restored, limped back across the stars to their Fortress Monastery, and began the long task of rebuilding.

[size=8pt]Helmets used by the Grey Ravens to designate rank.
Left to Right - Marine, Veteran, Sergeant, Veteran Sergeant and Captain.[/size]

The Rebirth:
Slowly, the Grey Ravens began to grow in numbers once more. Far more cautious than they once were, the Grey Ravens of today are a hardened and dedicated fighting force. They have learned to make good use of their allies, and will regularly seek to fight alongside other Imperial forces. They favour rapid-attack and ambush, though have proven skilled in all forms of combat.

Currently, the Chapter is primarily engaged against the Tyranids. This comes as no surprise to those familiar with the Chapter; despite having absolved themselves, the Grey Ravens still seem to favour the most dangerous of actions. It seems that, despite their new-found caution and comradery, the Chapter as a whole still feels the need to prove themselves and unquestionably loyal to the Emperor. The Grey Ravens also provide many Marines to serve in the Deathwatch.

Battle Cry:
Original Battle-cry: “Battle brings Glory!”
Current Battle-cry: “Our lives for the Emperor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2007, 15:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Index Astartes: Grey Ravens

Nice. I quite liked that.

Two quick things

1 - You say their penitent crusade lasted nearly a millennium and ended when their chapter master died. This would make the chapter master 1000+ years old, attainable for a marine, but not common. Was this intentional or just a small oversight?

2 - Rules wise would they just be a vanilla chapter or would they employ any traits? Any pics of painted minis?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2007, 16:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Wargamer, I assume the Grey Ravens are of your creation. I very much like the background on the Explorator ship and the before and after look at the Chapter history. Well-done.
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2007, 02:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Well there is little indication as to how long a Chapter Master serves, Dante is 1100 and still going very strong and Marneus Calgar is over half a millenium old at least and I don't remember how old Logan Grimnar and Azrael are. While 1000 years may be old for a serving Astartes the Chapter Masters are the very best, having served their chapter for centuries before advancing to becoming Captains and then likely centuries more before becoming Chapter Masters and then likely several more centuries of service as the Chapter Master, I'd expect the average age of death for a Chapter Master would be around 800 or so.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2007, 14:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I know that some very lucky space marines do live to be quite old, though I think Dantes 1100 years is something of an exception even among marines. Blood Angels are noted for being particularly long lived.

Which is why I was saying its not out of the question for the chapter master to be that old, but I was wondering if that was the intention. Were they led by an uncommonly old marine or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2007, 16:48   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I never intended it to matter one way or the other to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2007, 02:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

maybe he died of a heart attack at the sight of some crazy chaos thing ;D
Old 21 Jun 2007, 15:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide

They actually look alot like my marines. and they even primarily fight nids! of course its hard for me to tell if the grey is metallic or not. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
LoTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2007, 15:37   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

I liked the fluff for this army actually.

Makes me want to start Space Marines (but I am not that easiliy swayed. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote