Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Librarian Tac Squad(s) for Blood Ravens
Old 13 Jun 2007, 09:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Librarian Tac Squad(s) for Blood Ravens

I'm planning on starting Blood Ravens 2nd Company Army. According to fluff they have one of the largest percentages of Librarians if not second largest after the Grey Knights. I wanted to show this somehow when I played. Normally the only way of fielding Librarians is as HQ choices, either Codicers or Epistolaries. So after a guy at the GW shop I go to explained the Blood Raven traits I came up with an idea.

This brings me to the Lexicani Librarians. According to the Lexicanum Wiki, Lexicanii don't have Psychic Hoods or other high level equipment so they look very similar to & are equipped like normal Marines except they have the blue Power Armor that Librarians wear. Also while they don't usually see combat, it is a possibility, even more so for the Blood Ravens. Fewer normal Marines means a higher chance a Lexicani has to serve in a combat capacity even though he hasn't developed combat powers. Also this is one possible way of tempering a Librarian for more rigorous combat scenarios.

Now one of the two Blood Raven traits is See but don't be seen which gives Infiltrate & Acute Senses. In Blood Raven fluff the Librarians often help predict how best to defeat a foe. So a squad of Lexicanii infiltrating could represent Librarians sensing that a particular position is very advantageous or crucial to the battle. Acute senses would represent the sensitivity of Librarians to their environment.

So a tac squad that is taking the Infiltrate skill could be painted blue with Blood Raven markings to represent the possible deployment of Lexicanii especially if the Acute senses ability was also purchased. If you felt a full squad of Lexicanii is excessive you could have a single model painted blue instead. While there is no real advantage to do this it allows one to legally represent the high occurrence of Librarians in the Blood Ravens Chapter.

Wow that was a lot longer than I thought it would be. Anyways what do y'all think of this idea?

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 09:49   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Librarian Tac Squad(s) for Blood Ravens

Perhaps you could paint some Sergeants as Librarians? Or, to prevent confusion, just paint one Shoulder Pad in Librarian colours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 11:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It's a good idea, although I agree with Wargamer. Whilst the Blood Ravens have a higher percentage of psykers than other chapters, low level or not it's hard to imagine them being fielded as squads akin to the Grey Knights. Having one fulfil the role of the sergeant however seems ideal for infiltrating squads and seems very characterful

I'm back!
El Mariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 13:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think this is a good starting point for an idea.

Taking tactical squads as lexicanum seems a little overboard, but using lexicanum to either represent Veteran sergeants, or veteran and command squads could be a very cool idea.

Here's a couple more quick quick cool suggestions

Company champion - The 5+ invulnerable save granted by the combat shield represents psychic shielding around himself.

Grey Knight terminator squad - Take 4 of them. Don't use grey knight models, instead convert them from regular terminators and paint them blue. Make sure you take the holocaust power to show that they can all channel their abilities together.

Veteran squad with infiltrate and furious charge, bolt pistols, close combat weapons and terminator honours. This squad is expensive (31 points/model!) but its really fun. In combat by turn two these blue marines will scare your opponent.

Devastator squad. 6 regular marines, 4 lexicanum marines. This idea is a little bit over the top but it could still be fun. All 4 lexicanum know how to use their powers to hurl long range bolts of warp power. They each count as a marine with a heavy bolter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 13:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree totally that they wouldn't have several squads to field composed of Librarians. At most I would put a single full squad of Lexicanii especially if its a full squad. Maybe two in 2000+ points, depending on the number of of other Marine models.

Also like Wargamer said making the Sergeants in infiltrating squads Lexicani also works well, if not better since the Librarians are supposed to be the leaders in the Blood Ravens.

I plan on fielding a single 6-8 man squad this way & personalizing them. They'll be fairly expensive points wise as I'll be giving them the trust in you battle brothers trait, making them cost about as much as Assault Marines.

Eep! Falstead posted before I did. Those are really good ideas! Hmm I may do the Grey Knight or veteran squad instead. I want more than just two Librarians represented but having more than a single squad seems excessive like I said. Seven to twelve Librarians represented would make me very happy in regards to fluff.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Old 13 Jun 2007, 14:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Just as a note you can possibly take up to FOUR regular librarians in a Space Marine army.

Here's how

Take a Librarian
Give him a command squad
Attach another librarian to the command squad.

One particularly nasty application of this is the so called "Padawan"

You grab one Codicer with veil of time, terminator honours, bolt pistol and familiar + whatever other bonuses you feel like.
Next as the attached librarian you take an epistolary with might of heroes.
Charge into combat and cast might of heroes on the Codicer. Then he can cast Veil of time on himself. Now you have 6-8 attacks (7-9 when charging) re-rolling everything! Alternatively don't bother with veil of time and just make all those attacks and then use your force weapon!
[size=8pt]
*Forgive me if I got codicer and episotlary mixed up there (I have a feeling I did) I can never remember which is which. Suffice to say the one with more wounds should be the one doing all the hurting![/size]
Quote:
Quote:
Old 13 Jun 2007, 16:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Are you sure you can do that? According to the character rules one can only take one type of character per squad. I'm not sure whether type means the Librarian entry or can't have 2 Codiciers or 2 Epistolaries

Old 13 Jun 2007, 17:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Trux
Are you sure you can do that? According to the character rules one can only take one type of character per squad. I'm not sure whether type means the Librarian entry or can't have 2 Codiciers or 2 Epistolaries
No you may only "attatch" one of each type. But that does not stop you from taking one librarian, then taking a command squad for him, then attatching one Librarian, you just cannot attatch 2 Librarians. Otherwise you could have 6.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 19:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Trux
No you may only "attatch" one of each type. But that does not stop you from taking one librarian, then taking a command squad for him, then attatching one Librarian, you just cannot attatch 2 Librarians. Otherwise you could have 6.
Sorry i'm getting confused guys. Can a librarian commnd squad attach one more librarian or not?

bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 20:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose
Sorry i'm getting confused guys. Can a librarian commnd squad attach one more librarian or not?
No it can't attach more than one librarian.

Here's how it works.

You buy an HQ model,(in this case a librarian). You may buy a command squad for him to lead.

If you have a command squad you may attach a librarian and/or a chaplain to it. You may not attach more than one of each type of character.
However since the first librarian isn't attached to the unit, he's leading it you can attach a second librarian.

Does that clear things up?
Quote:
Quote: