Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A few question from a newbie on selection of weapons for squads.
Old 10 Jun 2007, 19:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default A few question from a newbie on selection of weapons for squads.

Hi there folks

I recently bought the "Battle for Macragge" box, and gifted the Space Marines to my brother, that immediately started painting them up. He quickly became interested in the game, and seeing that I'm totally new to 40K (and Warhammer in general) I'm not very able to answer his questions. So I'll ask you veterans here.

A Sergeant for a tactical squad, could you give him two Chainswords (close combat weapons), and would that have any effect.

Can the sergeant be one of the marines to carry the heavy weapon (as I see from the codex that two marines can have a weapon other that their standard bolters).

The combi-weapons mentioned in the codex (pg 22)? Are they included in any box, or do you have to mod them yourself?

He has since then gotten hold of a few other things for his army (I also got him some stuff for his birthday ), so now he has:

20 Tactical Marines (10 from the Battle for Macragge + a Tactical squad box)
5 Devestator marines (Devestator Squad box)
2 Bikes
1 Attack Bike
1 Space Marine Commander
1 Techmarine wt gun servitor

He's decided on painting and fielding them as Ultramarines (as they seem the most "classic")

What would be the next thing to buy to fill out his army?, we're aiming at 1000 points to start with, and I'm collecting Tau myself.

Any answers will be appreciated.

Best
Rune

Nanostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2007, 19:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: A few question from a newbie on selection of weapons for squads.

First off, welcome to the hobby!

Secondly, to your questions: No, a sergeant cannot have two chainswords. He can, however, have a chainsword and a bolt pistol. This combination has a nice little benefit: +1 attack in close combat. (In essence, he gets to roll two dice instead of 1. Give him terminator honors and he gets an additional +1 for a total of three, and if his unit is charging, he gets another one for the charge, giving him a total of four.)

Also, I don't remember the exact rule but I'm pretty sure that a sergeant cannot be given a heavy weapon. He can either have a bolter or a pistol and chainsword for free; if you give him terminator honors (which in my opinion is always worth it) he gets access to the Space Marine Armory. (It's in the codex, with a list of the available weapons and their point costs.) Heavy weapons are not in the armory, so they can't be taken, but combi-weapons, storm bolters, lightning claws, and all sorts of other little sharp and shooty gems are in there to suit your killing needs.

Combi-weapons are included in the Commander box set; you get a combi-plasmagun and a combi-melta. I've never seen a combi-flamer (which is too bad, because that would be devestating against horde armies like Guard, 'Nids, and Orks) so I'd assume you'd have to convert one.

As far as which additional units to buy... That really all depends on his play style. Has he played any games yet to get a feel for basic tactics? Basically, once he figures out his style of play, he'll know what to get. If he like swooping in quickly for a few kills before darting out of range, he'd probably do well with a few Landspeeders. If he likes delivering a lot of firepower or assault damage to the heart of the enemy, I'd invest in a Land Raider or a few Rhinos or Razorbacks. If he likes to stand and shoot, more Devestator Marines and a Whirlwind or a Vindicator tank. For any army, I'd recommend at least one Dreadnought; those things pack a lot of firepower and are deadly in close combat, depending on how you set them up, but really, it's up to him. If he/you have any specific questions about units, feel free to ask and we'll do what we can.

Hope it helps.
SmellTheAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2007, 19:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

1:Correct, a Sergeant cannot have two chainswords legally as far as I know, though if you really wanted to I don't think anyone would mind in a friendly game.

2:The heavy weapon must be given to a regular Marine for the reasons stated above.

3:The combi-plasma & combi-melta come in the Commander Boxed Set, though there is a way to get a combi-flamer with only a tiny amount of conversion. Since your friend plays the Ultramarines he could get Chaplain Cassius (a special character), who has a combi-flamer. Now since, for some reason, his stats say he's only got a bolt pistol you could simply swap weapons and viola! You now have a loose combi-flamer to stick on your guys.

As for his army list you'll need another bike to finish up the squad. After that I'd say a dreadnought, either venerable or not, or a predator. These will help add some more long-range firepower to his list and, since he's already got a tech-marine, a vehicle or two would be useful.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2007, 19:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to thecuriousmonke

Okay er questions to answer. Welcome btw to Tau online

1) A sergeant for a tactical squad can buy an additional close combat weapon (chainsword) from the armour if you give him terminator honours. Rules wise this means he doesn't get any shots with a pistol but I believe still benefits an extra attack for having 2 close combat weapons. In friendly games however, 2 chainswords would have the same effect just without the points spent and no shooting. Still legally it is a no no.

2) I will say that is a no no, one marine can carry a heavy, one can carry a heavy, one can be a sergeant.

3) Combi-weapons look like a bolter hybrid. I don't think you get any from the tactical squad box, not 100% on that, but I do believe you can get some from the commander box. IMO though it is much more fun to just convert them, they usually look better too.

HM must go get my codex but I think you can write up a nice 1000 point list with what you have there. Although I would buy some more tactical marines or maybe a rhino. Drop pods are good too, although you may have to convert. Heres a list.

[HQ]Space marine commander (master) ~ 111 points
-power weapon
-bolt pistol
-jump pack
This guy is a solid good close combat character that boasts Ld 10 across his entire army.

[Elites]Techmarine* ~125 points
-servo harness
-heavy bolter servitor
This fellow is going tear up Tau in close combat. Powerfully built, not more more to say, plus he can fix the rhino if it gets damaged by enemy fire and he is nearby. Keep him foot slogging behind your transport.

[Troops]10 marines ~166
-missile launcher
-flamer
Simple unit to combat Tau, can spend a turn getting into range or closer to an objective.
[Troops]10 marines** ~231
-rhino transport
-flamer
-sergeant upgraded with terminator honours and power weapon
This is the unit that will be charging straight forward. Once in combat, they should fare fine for the rest of battle.
[Fast Attack]3 marine bikers ~ 146
-added attack bike
-flamer
Speed and terrain are your friends here, you can get into close combat faster, firing all the way. Be careful how you maneuver though.
[Fast Attack] Land Speeder ~ 50 points
[Heavy Support] 5 devastators* ~160
-x2heavy bolter's
-x1missile launcher
-x1plasma cannon

So far this leaves you with 11 points. Hopefully I've been a help ;D

EDIT: Just a note, you may have to proxy some models with this list, but I'm sure people will be cool with it if he is just starting off. And in no means am I saying this list is what you should use, its just a suggestion, working with the units he has. Things you would have to get would be a biker, rhino and land speeder.

May you rest in peace, Freddie Hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I hate kids.
More normaler that you'se!
Thanks to Wargamer and JD for the sigs
thecuriousmonke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2007, 19:52   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

For the sergent you can have him with 2 chainswords and have him have a holstered bolt pistol, then it would be WYSIWYG.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2007, 21:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

From the Space Marine Codex armory page:

Quote:
"...no model may pick the same item twice."
There ya go; no dual-wielding chainswords if you want to be legal. You could, however, conceivably get a chainsword and a power sword for two melee weapons; however, there is no benefit to this at all as you sacrifice the ability to shoot before charging into combat. It's not really worth it unless you really want a model with the look of two weapons. You could always model two chainswords and have the bolt pistol in a holster, as Legatus suggested; that's technically legal.
Old 10 Jun 2007, 21:34   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I know that, but that does not mean that you cannot have it on the model for looks. Give them the second Chainsword, but keep the bolt pistol in a holster.
Old 10 Jun 2007, 22:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Right... I just said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellTheAshes
You could always model two chainswords and have the bolt pistol in a holster, as Legatus suggested; that's technically legal.
;D
Old 10 Jun 2007, 22:15   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'm blind.

I've been away from a computer for a week! Cut me some slack Jack!
Old 10 Jun 2007, 22:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hahaha, it's all good.