Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1st company
Old 05 Jun 2007, 20:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 1st company

One can assume that the Ultramarines 1st company (as an example) who are all terminators or at least have terminator honors and veteran status fight together as a unit sometimes instead of being dispersed among the 'lesser' (haha they're marines...) companies. Is there any combination of doctrine-type armybuilding (I forget what you Marine guys call it, but in the guard it's 'doctrines&#39 that can make an army list like this. The reason I ask is that I have a bunch of old space hulk terminators but haven't played marines in at least 3 editions of this game. Used to be just troops, characters, and vehicles as force allowance restrictions... how to you fill your troop slots if you are the Ultramarines 1st Company? scouts I guess... taking their kids out for a day of 'nid hunting or something... but that seems like cutting corners. Is there a way?
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2007, 21:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to thecuriousmonke
Default Re: 1st company

Well deathwing is exclusively terminators, so that may be what your looking for*

I don't believe you can actually play a 1st company unless it's a deathwing equivalent.
May you rest in peace, Freddie Hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I hate kids.
More normaler that you'se!
Thanks to Wargamer and JD for the sigs
thecuriousmonke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2007, 23:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker

Deathwing. The only option.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 01:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I don't know if your that familiar with Deathwing but it's likely your best bet for a 1st company army.

Basically the Deathwing is the 1st Company of the Dark Angels. In the rules if you take Master Beliel (the special character of the Deathwing) you can take Terminator squads as troops. You get a rule that lets you deepstrike many of your squads first turn if you wish, but you are limited to one heavy weapon and squads no larger than 5 men strong. However you can mix assault and normal Terminators.

A first company would also have Dreadnaughts and Land Raiders, of which you can have 3 Dreadnaughts, 8 Squads of Terminators and 3 Land Raiders in a Deathwing force if you wish.

Another way to go is to just use scouts. I have an Imperial Fists first company that is 24 Terminators and 15 scouts.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 14:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

As already mentioned Deathwing is the easiest way. Deathwing squad as troops (thanks to Belial) and then you can take dreadnoughts and Veterans as elites.

However if you want a "Codex" marine force you'll have to get a little creative.

What makes veterans veterans in the current marine codex? Why veteran skills of course! Select a doctrine that lets you take a veteran skill on your tactical marines (See but don't be seen springs to mind!). Now all your troops are "Veterans" and can be modeled as such.

You can quite happily take up to five terminator squads to fill out the rest of your points. (3 elite, and 2 terminator command squads) and voila you have a 1st company army.

But wait, where's the dreadnoughts? Oh I know, take "Heed the wisdom of the ancients" now dreads can be taken as heavy support!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 16:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Durza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
As already mentioned Deathwing is the easiest way. Deathwing squad as troops (thanks to Belial) and then you can take dreadnoughts and Veterans as elites.

However if you want a "Codex" marine force you'll have to get a little creative.

What makes veterans veterans in the current marine codex? Why veteran skills of course! Select a doctrine that lets you take a veteran skill on your tactical marines (See but don't be seen springs to mind!). Now all your troops are "Veterans" and can be modeled as such.

You can quite happily take up to five terminator squads to fill out the rest of your points. (3 elite, and 2 terminator command squads) and voila you have a 1st company army.

But wait, where's the dreadnoughts? Oh I know, take "Deed the wisdom of the ancients" now dreads can be taken as heavy support!
Heed the wisdom of the ancients. :P
Durza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 17:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think I've figured it out.

I don't want Deathwing since it's a DarkAngels thing and I want to stay purist...

So I can get 2 elite squads of terminators (shooty), 1 elite dreadnaut, 2 HQ squads of terminators (commander and librarian - assaulty), 3 heavy support Land Raiders for the elites, 2 rhinos for the HQ, and tack on a couple of 5 man scout squads for the troops requirement. I don't think that requires any unorthodox doctrinating does it?

I guess the scouts would be used anyways in any battle where a 1st company would be involved...

Perhaps they were doing recon in an area where they just found a xeno/heretic threat, so the 1st company moves in to deal with it, but the scouts would still be present at the place as the tanks roll in and unload all that heavy-booted terminator madness... something like that...?
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 17:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Durza

That's actually not a bad idea...
Durza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 18:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durza
Heed the wisdom of the ancients. :P
If anyone deserved that, it was me.

The error has been fixed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 18:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
I think I've figured it out.

I don't want Deathwing since it's a DarkAngels thing and I want to stay purist...

So I can get 2 elite squads of terminators (shooty), 1 elite dreadnaut, 2 HQ squads of terminators (commander and librarian - assaulty), 3 heavy support Land Raiders for the elites, 2 rhinos for the HQ, and tack on a couple of 5 man scout squads for the troops requirement. I don't think that requires any unorthodox doctrinating does it?

I guess the scouts would be used anyways in any battle where a 1st company would be involved...

Perhaps they were doing recon in an area where they just found a xeno/heretic threat, so the 1st company moves in to deal with it, but the scouts would still be present at the place as the tanks roll in and unload all that heavy-booted terminator madness... something like that...?
Just because Deathwing is a Dark Angels thing doesn't really matter, many people use the Deathwing rules to represent 1st company armies before, and still do now with the new codex. That said you cannot transport Terminators in rhinos, only Land Raiders so you can only transport 3 squads of Termies, the others are probably better off sitting back and shooting and any squads you want assaulting are best off in Land Raider Crusaders.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote