Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

At a Roadblock: Need Help.
Old 01 Jun 2007, 21:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default At a Roadblock: Need Help.

Alright, my problem is simple. I've got oodles of basic Space Marine troops, more Veteran Sergeants than you can shake a powerfist at, and enough Assault Marines to eat a continent. I've got a unit of scouts, a fully-loaded biker squad, a land speeder Tornado, and a pair of Dreadnoughts.

And I don't know where to go from here.

I'm about to start my summer job, and I'm planning on using my pay to really expand my army. I just don't know what to get next. I don't really have any armor apart from two somewhat fragile Dreadnoughts... So should I get a Predator? I don't have any transports at all, so should I invest in a Razorback or a Rhino or two? Perhaps even a Land Raider? I've already got two Commanders, but neither a Chaplain nor a Librarian. I've also thought about getting a Techmarine, since my Chapter is very tech-oriented. I've been eyeing the Land Speeder Typhoon for a while too, which would add some serious mobile fire support to my force. My goal is to eventually have 6 heavily converted Dreadnoughts, but I just finished my second one and I don't really have any ideas yet for the third. I've only got 2 rocket launchers, 2 plasma cannons, 2 lascannons, 2 heavy bolters, and a single multi-melta. Do I need to invest in more heavy weapons for my infantry?

I'm basically faced with a ridiculous amount of options, and I need some guidance.
SmellTheAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2007, 22:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Oddball
Default Re: At a Roadblock: Need Help.

I'd go for a few rhinos and/or more Heavy Bolter Marines

Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all of the time and have the time of your life.
- Billy Connolly
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2007, 22:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hi SmellTheAshes,

What you're asking is a pretty deep question, believe it or not!

I dunno about you- but spending money on 40K stuff is a big deal to me. I've got my fiance', bills, meals, you know- all that stuff my paycheck gets used up with, so I do my best to make sure that when I do spend money on this hobby- that it's money I felt was well invested.

From a strategic standpoint- the easiest thing to do would be to set a points value you'd like to be "playable" at, and write up a list, taking anything and everything you want. That's how many people who come here decide.

Some of us simply pick models we love the look of. From a monetary standpoint this may not be the most practical route, but if looks and hobby are key- this is the way to go.

For the pure mathhammer wizzes, sometimes it's a matter of calculating points per "dollar". This is good especially if you're on a limited budget. Example: bike armies can be a lot of fun, but your PPD is much lower than, say terminators or standard marines. Some highly themed armies are simply very expensive to collect.

So I guess it really depends on what is important to you right now. From what I've read- it sounds like you'll have some "disposable" income soon- that's great! It sounds more like the focus is strategy and functionality.

I would suggest writing two lists: one with the 6 dreadnoughts in it, and one "take on all comers" list that you wish to have access to in the future. Write up the lists, calculate the dollars, and then evaluate how badly you love the mini's.

Just my $0.02

- Yriel
Old 01 Jun 2007, 22:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I have grown to love the Predator Destructor (with heavy bolter sponsons). It's just a gloriously cheap lil dakka-wagon and in the DA book it's even cheaper potentially foreshadowing the same for basic marines somewhere down the line. It's got decent frontal armour, so as long as you watch your flanks it is reasonably survivable. Plus it'll draw fire from the dreadnoughts and allow all 3 to survive longer. I know a number of the1500pt lists I've drafted include a pair of tag team dreadnoughts and a destructor.

Plus tanks are just so much fun!
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2007, 04:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thats' the great thing about space marines, you can never run out of options. ;D I think that creating some lists is a great idea. I remember you saying that your army is a fast attack oriented army, is that still the case? If so, I would really consider getting some razorbacks and/or rhinos for your tactical squads. Space marines will most likely be getting a new codex next year and looking at the DA codex you can get a fairly good idea of the basic layout and point costs of alot of units. Both transports should be getting the same reduction in price which makes them much more viable options.

I would also really recommend you get a chaplain to lead your assault marines, it will make them incredibly effective with the Litanies of Hate rule and well as a rock hard assault capability of the Chaplain himself.

As for the dreadnoughts, You may want to hold off on getting 6 of them. There is alot of things that could happen to the traits system in the next codex and it would be a shame to spend alot of money on the models and not have a spot for the to fill in the FOC in a years time. It may be a good idea to stick to three but ultimately that your choice to make.

A techmarine would be very cool for a themed army like yours. I would consider converting one to ride a bike. Not only can he be a monster in CC but he can zip around the board to repair damaged vehicles.

I would go with Yriel's suggestion of writing up a few lists and play around with different setups until you know exactly what you want. I would recommend going to bwbits to save some money on your purchases. They frequently have weekend sales that further reduce prices for boxed sets and bits. My last big purchase saved me nearly $100 by planning out what I was getting and waiting for a good weekend sale.

Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2007, 04:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well the only suggestion other than the making of a list I can offer is possibly buying more armor to back up the Dreads. You'll find that they become less fragile if there are bigger threats for the big Anti-tank gun s to deal with. :P

tanarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2007, 03:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

A Techmarine on a bike?

Holy expletive, that's brilliant. I knew that any IC can be given a bike, but I never made the connection between bikes and a Techmarine.

As an added bonus, it would give me an awesome bit of conversion work to do, since that's my favorite part of the entire process, and I try to do work on all of my models.

Looks like I need a Techmarine box, a bike box, and a few sketches... *rubs hands eagerly*

One question; is there a plastic version of the Techmarine available? I'd really hate to have to do this one with a metal model... It's a lot of potential chopping, and all I've ever seen are the metal Techmarine blisters.
SmellTheAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2007, 16:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Durza

Unfortunately I'd say so.
Durza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2007, 21:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellTheAshes
A Techmarine on a bike?

Holy expletive, that's brilliant. I knew that any IC can be given a bike, but I never made the connection between bikes and a Techmarine.
As an added bonus, it would give me an awesome bit of conversion work to do, since that's my favorite part of the entire process, and I try to do work on all of my models.

Looks like I need a Techmarine box, a bike box, and a few sketches... *rubs hands eagerly*

One question; is there a plastic version of the Techmarine available? I'd really hate to have to do this one with a metal model... It's a lot of potential chopping, and all I've ever seen are the metal Techmarine blisters.
Well for a full model, no. There is a Techmarine head and some accessories on the ravenwing sprue. So you could probably make a good techmarine using those bits along with the regular SM plastics.

Here they are:
http://www.bwbits.com/product/44-0836

http://www.bwbits.com/product/44-0813

And here's some altenative Adeptus mechanicus shoulders:
http://www.bwbits.com/product/48-1232

I can't really think of a good way to make a servo harness but I suppose you could bits order that from GW.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2007, 04:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to titankiller

One thing to look for might be Wizkids&#39; Mechwarrior Clix figures, the older WorkerMechs. Some of them have claw/loader/pincer-looking arms that can be clipped off and then used to make a servo-harness. I tried once with some of my old &#39;Mechs and a spare Marine I had; looks okay, you can definately tell he&#39;s a techmarine. I&#39;m not sure where to aquire such figures today, maybe on ebay. They&#39;d be known as: ForesterMech, ConstructionMech, MinerMech, AgroMech, plus a few others with similar names. Oh, and they also released the "MkII" versions of most, if not all, of them.

Hope that helps, its the best I can come up with for a techie conversion.