Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How bout them Blood Angels?
Old 25 May 2007, 16:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default How bout them Blood Angels?

Can't wait for the rest of the update in next month's White Dwarf.

So...Death Company has Rending...its a dark day for the Necrons.

Those overcharged engines also look sweet.
Old 25 May 2007, 17:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: How bout them Blood Angels?

I groan about the application of the rending band aid to yet another unit. I mean come on... It starting to seem like they're just throwing rending onto units when they can't think of something better to do weapon wise. Not to mention the fact that this will likely make games against BA even more a game of "Sink the DC". Great... Now we have flying feel no pain power armour genestealers with furious charge that will almost always be accompanied by a character that will give them re rolls to hit :

On the plus side it's nice to see them get overcharged engines that can't actually cause the vehicle to just randomly explode. Oh and I am literally tap-dancing on the grave of the 6 dreadnought list. There's a guy at my local shop who took 6 tiny scout squads (with vet sarges) 6 dreadnoughts and a chappy. You usually ended up fighting a great big DC, about half of which would have power fists, 6 dreadnoughts, some scouts and tornado speeders or whatever other thing he was currently min-maxing to death
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2007, 18:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

-Rending
Wait what? There are like 4 units with rending in the whole game. Tyrannids, harlequins, assault cannons and death company, right? Its one of the more uncommon CC bonuses, certainly not as often used as a boss with a power-whatever.

-Dreadyness
Heh, Necrons have much love for the 6 Dreadnought list. RIP my mechagodzilla competitor.
Old 25 May 2007, 18:42   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Around here rending is already one of the most over-used items. We dont need ANOTHER thing with it. And this now means that this one player is going to have ANOTHER thing to complain about when his Deathwing never makes CC because of a Demolisher cannon or what not.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 00:37   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to WiSe SwOrDsMaN

Im gonna say this, even if it doesn't pertain to the BA. Calm down on the rending! Sheesh! They're just doing it to make it a bit more realistic. I mean, an assualt cannon probably sounds like a minigun(you know, with the humming) which means that it puts out a whole lot of bullets that would rip things to shreds. So they put rending on it. Genestealers need their dangerous claws to tear into riggings in ships and into people chests quickly so they can get out of the hail of fire thats gonna come at them after that. Same pretty much applies to Harlequins. Except that there are so few of them, that they have to be that good to stay alive. DC, well, they are BA who have succumbed to the RT, so they are ferocius animals, with being the top of the chapter and have the best swordsmanship(me and my dad think their like italians), so you should expect them to have rending. Calm down about the rending!

Oh, and by the way, I don't care too much for BAs, I like the DAs. For the Lion and the Emporer!

You always know things are too good to be true when you don't remember the alarm going off.
Then it does...
WiSe SwOrDsMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 01:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

The problem is that when rending is overused it runs the risk of opening up the proverbial pandora's box. I think they've realized their mistake on the asscannon and are now pricing it higher and limiting it's availability to compensate. Yes, it should definately be a good gun, but statistically better at busting around than the specialized anti-tank lascannon? However, if they continue to give rending to more and more units more people will expect their units to get it "because x has it". When only genestealers had it it was something that people saw as a genestealer thing as everyone can picture an alien wannabe furiously tearing panels off a tank. However, when the likes of daemonettes, the assault cannon, Shrike, and eventually harlies got their hands on it it seemed that every army had an excuse for a rending unit. Now that DC are supposedly getting it either as an approximation of the effect of multiple weapons or just to represent sheer insanity it gives even more ammo to the "we want rending!" crowd. It's just too easy to come up with an excuse for a weapon to have rending if piles of other units have it in order to represent different properties of their weapons or the unit itself

-Shurricats. Alot of people demanded this during the time before the new eldar book. Why? Blades are sharp, and there's a lot of them flying around.
-Gauss Flayers. Some Necron people asked for this too. Why? The matter stripping effect.
-Flayed one/wraith claws. I've seen this come up a number of times. Why? They're supposed to be almost scalpel like
-Wulfen. Why? They're crazy like the DC.
-Orks. Why? Brutal+some people just aren't happy with the choppa
-Dark Eldar. Why? A splinter weapon could easily hit a vulnerable spot. And what about the shredder?
-Warp Spiders/Shadow Weavers. Why? Monofiliment wire. Very similar to shredder technology

The ease of justifying rending wouldn't matter as much if only the genestealers had it since they could just say: "nope, that's a nid thing"
Quote:
Old 26 May 2007, 01:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I just don't get the opposition to the mechanic. Why would it be bad if lots of things had rending? As long as their points were appropriate I don't have any hardened opposition to what form their effectiveness takes.
Old 26 May 2007, 01:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Purely thinking about people's objection to the mechanic itself I think there are two things. Firstly, people see the assault cannon and the fact that rending made it a better anti-tank weapon than the specialized lascannon. So I think there's a level of "guilt by association" that goes on. Secondly, I think people find rending to be boring, since players using it just have to hope for sixes once they get it on target
Quote:
Old 26 May 2007, 03:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Meh to rending honestly, what would be annoying was if they made rending on a 5 for some units, then I might be concerned.

death company are only slightly hard then normal marines, and personally I'm not all that fussed over 'everything get's rending' the game will be easier for newer people to grasp. Things that are good in combat get rending, unit champs usually ignore armour and your basic guy is just that.

although assault cannons..... :
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 11:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by adreal
Meh to rending honestly, what would be annoying was if they made rending on a 5 for some units, then I might be concerned.

death company are only slightly hard then normal marines, and personally I'm not all that fussed over 'everything get's rending' the game will be easier for newer people to grasp. Things that are good in combat get rending, unit champs usually ignore armour and your basic guy is just that.

although assault cannons..... :
that extra 4+ save they get is a serious pain. especially with a 10man squad. its beyond the capacity of a lot of armis not loaded down with uber cc monsters and ordnance to take down.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote