Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dark Angel Company Master of DOOM
Old 21 May 2007, 06:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Dark Angel Company Master of DOOM

Ok well a while ago I was re-reading my Dark Angel codex and I came upon something very interesting that many of you may or may not know about.

The Dark Angel master comes stock with a bolt pistol and a chainsword. He can upgrade the bolt pistol to a plasma pistol. He can upgrade the chainsword to a lot of things including a pair of lightning claws, he can also take a storm bolter or various combi bolters. However nowhere does it say taking claws replaces his pistol, or that he is restricted in taking a storm bolter if he has other equipment. This basically means the Dark Angel master can have a pair of lightning claws (or various other cc goodness) and a pistol AND a bigger gun. Throw a jump pack on him and you have a fast, powerful, and still shooty commander. The configuration I use is:

Dark Angel Company Master
-Plasma Pistol, Pair of Lightning Claws, Storm Bolter, Frags, Kraks, Jump Pack, Iron Halo
Total: 170

Far cheaper than my 203pt Master Captain of doom and packing significant firepower. However is this an effective way to run a commander? It's certainly interesting and something new to the standard lightning claw setup but is it necessarily better? He has 1 less standard attack, no master crafted claws, no artificer armor, but is it still effective? Thoughts?

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 13:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to erebus Send a message via MSN to erebus Send a message via Yahoo to erebus
Default Re: Dark Angel Company Master of DOOM

Uh... No. the basic wargear limitation for everyone is two one handed weapons or one two handed and a one handed, instead of looking for were it doesn't say you can't look for were it specifically states you can do this. Can't find it? Can't do it.

Edit: Shut my mouth!

From the JJ FAQ on warseer

Quote:
11. Weapon clarifications regarding multiple weapons Is there a limit on the amount of wargear a model can carry? For insance, can a Company Master really take lightning claws, a combi-weapon, a bolt pistol and grenades?

A: There is no limit (but remember WYSIWYG).

If yes, does this mean a Master can soot his bolt pistol and then charge in and use his pair of lightning claws?

A: Yes
erebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 16:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That's gave me an idea of doing a cool conversion. A pair of lightning claws with a bolter attached to the top of each claw(a storm bolter), talon of horus comes to mind ;D
Old 21 May 2007, 17:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to erebus Send a message via MSN to erebus Send a message via Yahoo to erebus

Gauntlets of ultramar. Now with added stabby.
Old 21 May 2007, 18:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

For instance for my Company Master, I cut down Pegasus Knight wings and attatched them to a cut down power pack, the right Lightning claw I shaved off the detail on the back of the hand and then took the Storm Bolter that comes with the Space Marine Commander box and cut off the hand, clip and other details on the bottom and then attatched it to the back of the gauntlet. For the Plasma Pistol I went to the left claw and I cut off the power cabling on the bottom and part of the knuckle guard on the bottom. I took a Plasma Pistol Hand and cut off the hand and the ammunition leaving that nice smooth curve, which went over the part of the claw where the cabling did come out and the barrel ended up just under the knuckle. Sounds like it would be cluttered but it actually looks pretty cool.

As you can see there is nothing in the Dark Angel codex that restricts the characters to one two handed weapon and one one handed weapon, like there is with the Eldar (which makes no sense!).

Old 22 May 2007, 01:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

It makes perfect sense to restrict wargear for most characters in that way, not everyone has Lara crofts backpack that you can fit 10 pistols 3 rifles a shotgun assorted grenades and a cocktail dress into.
Old 22 May 2007, 02:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool
It makes perfect sense to restrict wargear for most characters in that way, not everyone has Lara crofts backpack that you can fit 10 pistols 3 rifles a shotgun assorted grenades and a cocktail dress into.
Of course but the actual restriction is nonsense. One two handed and one one handed. What about two one handed? So the character is not allowed to carry less gear but he can carry more. It means an Autarch can't carry a laser lance and a power weapon (both one handed weapons). It's not a very well written rule.

Old 22 May 2007, 23:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

SWEET! I did not realize this. So now one can tool up HQ's even further ^^
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 00:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Of course but the actual restriction is nonsense. One two handed and one one handed. What about two one handed? So the character is not allowed to carry less gear but he can carry more. It means an Autarch can't carry a laser lance and a power weapon (both one handed weapons). It's not a very well written rule.
Er... most folk are allowed two one handed weapons or one two handed and one one handed Autarchs are by my understanding allowed two one handed weapons and a two handed weapon...

Edit : Thinking about it a bit more depending on how far you want to take RAW play you can do this to a lot more models....
Old 23 May 2007, 15:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

they only get two one-handed weapons and a two-handed becasue one is there compulsory shuriken pistol and they may select another one handed weapon and either a two-handed weapon OR a one-handed weapon.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote