Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Updates you would like to see in the Space Marine Codex.
Old 15 May 2007, 00:21   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Updates you would like to see in the Space Marine Codex.

There are a few thing that I absolutely hate about the Space Marine Codex.

The first of which is the fact that they do not real make clear the differnet level of divergences that define which level you are at for the Make Your Own Chapter Section.

The second thing I do not like is the fact that they do not really define what each weapon looks like, which in my experiences is very helpful. Yes, I am a noob.

Is there anything that you guys do not like?

Eating my wings to make me tame...
TheExMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 00:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to titankiller
Default Re: Updates you would like to see in the Space Marine Codex.

I thought the levels of divergence were quite clear. You&#39;re one of five levels: undivergent (Codex chapter), minorly divergent, notably divergent, significantly divergent and extremely divergent (chapter has its own codex). I don&#39;t get what you don&#39;t understand.

And I don&#39;t see what you mean by they dont define what each weapon looks like; every weapon that Space Marines use is shown in the model pages, with exception to the Deathwind launcher.
Old 15 May 2007, 01:43   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

What I meant about the divergance levels is the fact that it does not clearly define them, it just give out ranks.&#39;

Also, the weapons pages do not show what the gun looked like, because certain wepaons (like the Meltagun and Flamer) can easily be mixed up by new players.

Eating my wings to make me tame...
TheExMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 01:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

They need to fix the trait system so that drawbacks are actually, you know, drawbacks. Right now you take a pretty powerful advantage (Honour your Wargear perhaps) and take "We Stand Alone" as a drawback. Even if you&#39;re going to a tourney where they don&#39;t allow allies. Almost every drawback can be dodged in some way if you didn&#39;t want to take certain things anyway. It&#39;s far too easy to pick the advantages you like and then take the drawbacks that effect the player the least instead of using the traits how they were intended. To make your army fluffy
I&#039;d hate to get on his bad side... &gt;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 02:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hmm. I didn&#39;t realize this thread was for [constructive] criticisms on the SM codex.

Anyway, just going by the thread name, I wish the main SM codex was updated so that all tactical, veteran marines and the like would come standard with bolt pistol, frags and krak grenades.

I don&#39;t play marines myself (yet??) but it doesn&#39;t make sense to me that mega-elite-super-soldiers aren&#39;t able to properly assault into cover, or tackle basic vehicles without special preparations. However, when it comes to the bolt pistols, I just don&#39;t feel right that the DA chapter has a &#39;leg up&#39; on other chapters.. besides, I think it&#39;s just cooler to be able to shoot a bolter before charging somebody.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON&#39;T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 03:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I&#39;m looking forward to Combat Squads, with the possibility of &#39;Remnant&#39; squads like they did for guard (I love Combat Squads by the way). Possibly a trait getting you out of combat squads (The trait would be called "Honor your 6 man Las/Plas").

I believe that everyone is going to get equipped with frags and pistols, if the DA and BA codex are any indication. And yes I&#39;d like to see some decent drawbacks. (I play Ultramarines so the whole trait thing doesn&#39;t bother me much...)
Old 15 May 2007, 03:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
I&#39;m looking forward to Combat Squads, with the possibility of &#39;Remnant&#39; squads like they did for guard (I love Combat Squads by the way). Possibly a trait getting you out of combat squads (The trait would be called "Honor your 6 man Las/Plas").
Six-man Las/Plas is the entire reason Combat/Tactical squads were implemented for the Dark Angels codex :...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floobosaurus
Anyway, just going by the thread name, I wish the main SM codex was updated so that all tactical, veteran marines and the like would come standard with bolt pistol, frags and krak grenades.
Agreed in full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titankiller
I thought the levels of divergence were quite clear. You&#39;re one of five levels: undivergent (Codex chapter), minorly divergent, notably divergent, significantly divergent and extremely divergent (chapter has its own codex). I don&#39;t get what you don&#39;t understand.
There&#39;s some people who try to take no less than four traits with two drawbacks. Clarification on wording would be helpful, since I can&#39;t beat people unconcious via the internet...
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 05:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to titankiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra&#39;Tuisich-Novae
There&#39;s some people who try to take no less than four traits with two drawbacks. Clarification on wording would be helpful, since I can&#39;t beat people unconcious via the internet...
Wtf? How do someone bend it that way? What&#39;s the logic? ??? It all seems very clear to me.
Old 15 May 2007, 08:46   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Definately want to see elements of the Dark Angels brought to the mainstay. Specifically:

#1: Combat Squads. The Codex Astartes says that Marines operate in squads of 10, which split into 5-man squads as needed. TEN MAN. Not six. Not eight. TEN!

#2: Full gear. Bolt Pistol, Frag & Kraks. Awesome idea.

#3: Scouts staying as Troops. Face it, why would anyone take them as Elites?

#4: Assault Cannon raping. Dark Angels pay a lot more for Assault Cannons, and the biggest offenders *cough*Terminators*cough* are limited to one per squad.

#5: Terminators. 5-man squads are all well and good, but I would like a 10-man squad. Simple addition really... plus a 10-man squad could be allowed two weapon upgrades.

#6: Cheap and Cheerful Transports. A Rhino is a box with treads. Why does it cost so much? The Dark Angels got that right.

Really, the Dark Angels have set the trend as to how all Marine armies should be from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 11:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, firstly - I really like the 10/5 man squad thing. That, to me, seems like a really good idea. However, I have a few other issues with the SM codex.

1) Sergeants - why must I essentially pay for an extra marine just to give my Sergeant a plasma pistol? I think they should slightly increase the cost of tactical squads and allow the Sergeant automatic access to a limited number of wargear pieces (plasma pistol, purity seals, power fist, combat shield, etc). Obviously, you&#39;ll never have a Sergeant running around with Artificer Armour or an Iron Halo - which is why the list should be limited.

2) Troop Types - okay, this might get some people upset - but I don&#39;t think Scouts should be troop types. Think about the capacity in which Space Marine Scouts typically operate. They would not essentailly be with any given company. They should be a Fast Attack choice.

Likewise, I think it&#39;s crazy that I can&#39;t take Veterans or Terminators as troop choices. This essentially limits me to never taking a pure 1st company list. Certainly, there could be some sort of limitation to doing it - but it should be possible.

3) Land Speeders should not be able to deepstrike. This is a purely fluff based tiff I have with the codex. Why can a Land Speeder deepstrike when an Eldar Falcon (which can leave orbit) cannot?

4) Characters - I realize that the SM codex also serves as the Ultramarine codex and that&#39;s great. But let&#39;s try to give some more characters too other chapters too - usable characters who are still alive. Okay, I admit, I&#39;ve got a personal axe to grind here as my Imperial Fists are led by a dead guy who didn&#39;t do anything other than lead a massive barrage of Terminators on the second turn.

I mean, really look at Calgar&#39;s or Shrike&#39;s special weapons than look at Lysander&#39;s. Someone definately got the short end of the stick and it just so happens to be the loyalist chapter who helped to stay the advance of the chaos traitors at the steps of the Emperor&#39;s palace.

Still - I would really like to see some other races get their codex updates before the Space Marines do. Even issuing some sort of Chapter Approved patch would be nice (mainly to do away with the 6 man squads and such). While I haven&#39;t actually seen the new Dark Angel codex, from what I hear, it took major steps to address many of the out of balance aspects of Space Marines in the same way that the Eldar codex got rid of the out of balance aspects there.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote