Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Transport Vehicles
View Poll Results: What transport unit would your reccomend?
Rhino 8 30.77%
Razorback (HB) 6 23.08%
Razorback (LC) 2 7.69%
Land Raider 1 3.85%
Land Raider Crusader 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 May 2007, 00:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Transport Vehicles

I'm trying to decide what to add next for my BT army. Here's my "List" so far:

5 Assault Termies
Emperor's Champion (he is just so cool!)
Castellan with some CC Upgrades
8 Initiates (bolter)
8 Initiates (bolter)

I can make some "Neophytes" with guardsmen who I wouldn't use otherwise anyways. (convert lasguns to shotguns). I've been looking at some differnet things...

1. Rhino- Cheap, effective for transporting a squad of Initiates, maybe with an accompaying Castellan/Emperors champion to the middle of the battle fast. Lacks anything decent, oh, say armor or maybe weapons.

2. Razorback- It seems the Razorback doesn't get much love. I personally like the idea, and it looks great. Only downside is 6 transport. I could take a minimized squad of Initiates with the Casteallan/E's C attatched to deliver him and some bolter support right to the enemy with LC/HB for support. Seems like a good option to me.

3. Land raider- Big, Massive, and can handily transport my Assault Terminators and provide some much-needed anti-tank support to my list. Downside is it takes a Heavy Support slot and costs $60, but at this point a HS slot isn't in dire need.

4. Land Raider Crusader- Big, and provides unmatched Anti Infantry support. Again, costs $60 or so, but this wouldn't take up a HS slot, and it does have a multi-melta so it can kill some tanks.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 00:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to titankiller
Default Re: Transport Vehicles

I voted Rhino, but it would be closely followed by the LRC. The Rhino is best in my mind because it can haul the most marines for the fewest points. Once it drops them off, it can still maneuver around to provide them cover. Also, if it has smoke launchers, it has a much better chance to get close without being killed. Remember, don&#39;t use the Rhino as an attack vehicle, use it as what it is, a transport.

The LRC does this too, and also provides a large amount of firepower. Not too mention that, if a unit charges out of the LRC, they gain frags, which is invaluable for termies.

Personally, I don&#39;t like the Razorback too much, though I could see its uses for a 6-man shooting squad.

What I will recommend adding next: Initiates with bolt pistols and CCWs, Assault Marines, possibly a Predator.

Hope this helps.
Old 15 May 2007, 01:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Assault Marines? Stick &#39;em in a landraider. You can dash up full speed and get a second/first turn charge with it, and the expensive terminators wont get shot on their way there. Get a crusade and unleash bolter hell upon everything around it as well.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 01:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, a LRC would be the most fluffy but if you want to haul just five termies I&#39;d say go with the LR for the added fire support. However, you made it seem like this is a fairly small game and if so go rhino. If not Mech BT, grind them into the dust with Land Raider Crusaders! ;D

War is great! Well, except for that dying part ...
BeserkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 14:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wow... A tie betwen Rhino and L.R.C. Noone likey da Razorback? Because that&#39;s what I&#39;m thinking about getting. I figure a LC Razorback would give me a bit of anti-tank without having AV14 all aroun, which would be nigh-inpenetrable to my friend&#39;s armies, and add a L.R. to my army after that to transport 5 assault termies with some Anti-Tank-Ness.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 15:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

use the crusader with the assualt marines not a landraider the crusader can carry an extra terminator and at the distance the crusader needs to be to drop off the terminators the botlers and assault cannons can rip every thing apart

The way 2 Death is Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 15:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to titankiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
Wow... A tie betwen Rhino and L.R.C. Noone likey da Razorback? Because that&#39;s what I&#39;m thinking about getting. I figure a LC Razorback would give me a bit of anti-tank without having AV14 all aroun, which would be nigh-inpenetrable to my friend&#39;s armies, and add a L.R. to my army after that to transport 5 assault termies with some Anti-Tank-Ness.
The Razorback simply doesn&#39;t cut it for delivering an assault-oriented squad into combat. 6 men, even if one is a character, won&#39;t do a whole lot against anything much larger than them. Not to mention the fact that having that big gun on top forces you to make a choice: "Do I move 12" to get the squad into combat sooner, or do I just move 6" and shoot that guy over there?" The Rhino has no such qualms; it simply continues its dash forward until the unit jumps out or the tank is hit.

The Razorback is best suited for moving a fire support squad around and/or adding its firepower to theirs; Black Templars are by far a CC-oriented army, so even when they do have the 6 man las/plas squads, its best when they act as static fire support, hence why I leave the Razorback at home (or take its turret off and say its a Rhino).

On the subject of Assault Termies and their ride, a LRC is by far a better choice because of its ability to carry more men and it adds frags to them if they charge out. This is in addition to the fact that they may buy it as their dedicated transport, giving you two scoring units for one slot. Using a standard LR to cart them around isn&#39;t as good because: 1) its two scoring units for two slots, as opposed to 2-for-1; 2) during deployment, the LR, being a Heavy, goes down first, effectively constraining the terminators to its position, and allowing your opponent to set up to avoid it. If the termies have bought themselves a LRC, then both they and the tank count as an Elites choice, meaning they get put down after a majority of their best targets (squishy Troop choices) have been placed.

Hope that helps.
Old 15 May 2007, 18:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I voted Razorback, but only if you use it right. What I like to do is snag a Razorback with Heavy Bolters and use it to cart around a Devestator squad with a Lascannon/Plasmacannon weapons set. That way, they can move around to hit whatever needs to be hit, and the Razorback can provide some much-needed anti-infantry support for the primarily anti-armor squad.

Then again, you&#39;re running pretty much a CC only list, so the LRC is probably you&#39;re best option.
SmellTheAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 18:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by titankiller

On the subject of Assault Termies and their ride, a LRC is by far a better choice because of its ability to carry more men and it adds frags to them if they charge out. This is in addition to the fact that they may buy it as their dedicated transport, giving you two scoring units for one slot. Using a standard LR to cart them around isn&#39;t as good because: 1) its two scoring units for two slots, as opposed to 2-for-1; 2) during deployment, the LR, being a Heavy, goes down first, effectively constraining the terminators to its position, and allowing your opponent to set up to avoid it. If the termies have bought themselves a LRC, then both they and the tank count as an Elites choice, meaning they get put down after a majority of their best targets (squishy Troop choices) have been placed.
Got to quibble with you on the scoring unit part. Barring some special language in the LRC&#39;s entry of the Black Templars codex (It is one of the few I am not familiar with/posses so I may be missing something), if it is taken as a dedicated transport it does not count as scoring by definition.
Old 15 May 2007, 18:04   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

That was my understanding, as well. If you take them as two slots, they are both scoring. But if the Land Raider is purchased with the Terminators, only the squad counts as a scoring unit. The price you pay for saving a Heavy Support slot.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote