Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting a SM Army...
Old 14 May 2007, 14:38   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Starting a SM Army...

I am wanting to start a SM army here soon but torn bettween which chapter I would want to chose from.

I have been reading on most of them but I would like the view points of people who play them.

Chapters of interest are...

Blood Angels

Raven Guard

Dark Angels
Old 14 May 2007, 15:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Starting a SM Army...

Ok, here we go!

Blood Angels: Hated by many for their Death Company and special rules. They're about to get an update, but from what we've heard the DC will probably still cause irritation. They have a good background with the whole semi-vampiric tragic hero thing going on, but even if you take a rather moderate army list, some may cry cheese

Raven Guard: A very cool chapter with all the assault squads, but one that took a hit with their traits. Fluff wise they're supposed to be all about surgical strikes, but they have a trait that makes transports eat up Fast Attack slots ??? . Still, if you want to take an absolute boat load of assault marines, as Borat would say "Very Nice". Oh and you can make Edgar Allan Poe jokes all game and watch them fly over your opponent's head!

Dark Angels: Be prepared for dress jokes . Seriously though, they can field a crazy number of scoring units thanks to the combat squads rule. Oh and you can take dirt cheap transports! The only thing is that their new codex is often criticised for a lack of flexibility in terms of wargear options and, of course, squad sizes. Then there's also the Deathwing and the Ravenwing, but you have to take special characters to use 'em (at least if you want to do a pure Deathwing or Ravenwing army)

I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 15:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Then there's also the Deathwing and the Ravenwing, but you have to take special characters to use 'em
Actually you only need the special characters to use them as troops. In a standard Dark Angels army they can still be taken as normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 15:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Then there's also the Deathwing and the Ravenwing, but you have to take special characters to use 'em
Actually you only need the special characters to use them as troops. In a standard Dark Angels army they can still be taken as normal.
Well, I meant as an army, but it could do with some clarification
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 15:59   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well I am thinking I am leaning more towards Blood Angels more then the other two right now.

I should get the SM codex for thier ruling I am guessing.
Old 14 May 2007, 16:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Actually nope. Their rules are being published in the June and July white Dwarf. I've already got the June one and it details all the rules for their Special Character and units. They look pretty mean.

Special Characters to Watch Out for

Dante
He's the chapter master of the blood angels. With 4 attacks a master crafted power weapon and a melta gun that counts as an additional close combat weapon! He's pretty tough and can pour on some good hurting. Throw in a jump pack, artificer armour and iron halo and things are looking good. But wait, there's more! Every blood angel within close proximity to him gets "Preferred enemy" and enemy models lose a point of Ws and BS because of his death mask!

Coruboul

He's not that impressive in combat because all he has is a chainsword. However he does count as an apothecary and his grail is mean. Giving him an invulnerable save and every blood angel within 12" furious charge! Keep him between two units where he can't be picked out and use his abilities to keep them alive a little longer and even meaner on the charge.

Mephiston

He is the man. Firstly his profile is through the roof. Compared to a standard librarian he gets an extra point of Weapons Skill, Strength, toughness and initiative! Throw in a suit of artificer armour, plasma pistol and the feel no pain rule and you have a frightening commander. Plus he has all three blood angels psychic powers. Oh yeah, and he can use them all and his force weapon EVERY TURN!
The three powers are Might of Heroes, a power that lets him make a jump pack move, and a power that lets him try to transfix foes in combat. Keep him away from buried power fists and rending attacks and he'll be fine. Use him to kill monstrous creatures before they even get a chance to attack.

Special Units

DEATH COMPANY!

Genestealers have nothing on these guys. They have a profile like that of veteran marines and a plethora of special rules. Furious charge, feel no pain and rending! Zounds. They'll destroy anything they reach.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 14 May 2007, 16:14   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The codex for the SM has details and stats on every unit used by every Chapter right?

That was the reason I was going to get it because this is my first SM army and I really don't know what most of there stuff does.

Blood Angels does look like what I am wanting to head towards though.
Old 14 May 2007, 16:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex1
The codex for the SM has details and stats on every unit used by every Chapter right?

That was the reason I was going to get it because this is my first SM army and I really don't know what most of there stuff does.

Blood Angels does look like what I am wanting to head towards though.
Not quite every chapter. It has rules for "Codex" marine chapters and traits to customize your own chapter or one of the famous chapters. Several chapters have their own codexes however.

Dark Angels and Black Templars have fully up to date and stand alone 4th ed codex books.
Blood Angels rules are being released in white dwarf as a fully stand alone up to date 4th ed rules.

Space Wolves (and 13th company)have their own 3rd edition codex which must be used in conjunction with the Space marine codex.

All other Space Marine chapters use Codex Space marines.
Some particularly well known ones (i.e. the other founding chapters and famous ones) that have rules in it are:

Ultramarines
White Scars
Raven Guard
Iron Hands
Salamanders
Imperial Fists
Crimson Fists
Blood Ravens
Quote:
Quote:
Old 14 May 2007, 18:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

May I suggest Black Templars? I completely understand if that's not what you're looking for, but its a bit like BA but without the "That's from WD it doesn't count" part or the "That's 3rd Ed" part.

Plus, the armor is black. How easy is that?
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 18:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
May I suggest Black Templars? I completely understand if that's not what you're looking for, but its a bit like BA but without the "That's from WD it doesn't count" part or the "That's 3rd Ed" part.

Plus, the armor is black. How easy is that?
The new blood angels rules are 100% completely and totally official and legal. The front of the white dwarf even advertises them with a big "Official" seal.
Quote:
Quote: