Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What kind of units should I use in a my combat style
Old 11 May 2007, 12:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default What kind of units should I use in a my combat style

My style of combat is shoot them to submission and close combat till they can't move. What units should I use?
Shas_O Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2007, 14:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: What kind of units should I use in a my combat style

Tons of tactical marines with the "Trust your Battle Brothers" trait. Close to within 12" and bolter the enemy before you charge in to finish them off.

To get closer faster consider drop pods or "See but Don't be seen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2007, 20:17   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to mattster293

if you wanna shoot them to pieces get the new devastator sqguads and use the best wepons there is in the pack, i tell you, you will not be dissapointed
the space marines codex has two missing chaoters expunged from the library, my chapter, is one of the expunged chapters, you see, the primarch of my chapter soon turned to chaos and as the ultimate sacrifice to the chaos gods, threw his whole chapter on a desert planet and left them there to die, they now walk this planet, which has no name, and call it their home world, altough they are sure they have an original homeworld, the fortress monastery is weak and made of scrap wood, with techamrines and servitors still building it out of what they find, the chapter fights of hordes to protect home
mattster293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2007, 02:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You want a kind of nasty combo that fits your playstyle? Try taking the trait that allows you to take devastators as elites and heavies, and the trait that allows you to take assault marines as troops... thats six devastator squads and nine assault marine squads possible. Throw in a chaplain with a jump pack and a master to join the devastators (or even just to give him a command squad for the 2 heavy weapons and the apothecary...). Expensive, but plays to your style and honestly... if you shoot at the assault marines you have so many heavy weapons facing you its not funny, and if you try to take out the devastators you're going to have to face lots of attacks with the obligatory hidden power fists.

Even used in a min/maxed capacity its extremely nasty... and lends itself to be easily manipulated by the traits system.
Old 12 May 2007, 03:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to titankiller

There is no trait that lets you take Assault Squads as troops. Blessed Be The Warriors allows you to take them as either Fast Attack or Elites, but there isn&#39;t one for taking them as troops. The trait Be Swift As The Wind allows you take bikes as Troops, but not Assault Squads.
Old 12 May 2007, 03:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Titan is right. Another fun possibility is taking Honour Your Wargear with See but Don&#39;t be Seen. This way you can even have some Devastators have both infiltrate AND tank hunters, they&#39;ll be expensive but that would be really funny. Another would be taking be swift as the wind and then giving them teleport homers so termies can come in right in the thick of it.

War is great! Well, except for that dying part ...
BeserkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2007, 09:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Doh, sorry... between the late night at work and the fact I no longer use the space marine codex... (dark angel player...) I forgot. Lets see, there is one that allows you to field your troops with bolt pistol and close combat weapon. If you give them a rhino its almost as good. Still an expensive army. You could also try using the one that allows you to give infiltrate to your tacticals and devastators. That list can get really nasty if done right.
Old 12 May 2007, 15:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Dreadnoughts.

Lots of Dreadnoughts.

Take the Heed the Wisdom the the Ancients trait and you&#39;re allowed up to 6, with a whopping 3 Venerables! An assault cannon and a storm bolter or heavy flamer, depending on your opponent, should give you plenty of shooty power, and the DCCW is murder in assault. Outfit a few with Lascannons for any pesky armor and let the games begin.

Another idea I just had would be to get some Scout squads with heavy weapons infiltrated onto the field. They can keep things busy while your assault marines move up and close in. You&#39;ll probably lose the scouts eventually, but hey, they&#39;re the cheapest way to get a heavy bolter in the front, and if you&#39;re going against a low LD army, a few snipers would be awesome for holding the enemy lines back. (Three cheers for pinning tests.)
SmellTheAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 01:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well you can therotically have 6 venerables, but it can get really expensive really fast.

tanarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 01:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Venerable is generally worth it, especially if you can avoid penetrating hits. I had Venerable Dreadnought survive an entire game against a necron player because of the re-rolls.

War is great! Well, except for that dying part ...
BeserkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote