Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Life in the Fortress Monastary
Old 10 May 2007, 06:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Life in the Fortress Monastary

The title is rather vague so I'm sure any and all reading this are fairly curious as to what this thread is about. Well in the last year I have gathered quite a number of marines, in no less than 6 armies and all of them function very, very differently. I have a Terminator Heavy Lysanderwing, a very shooty Dark Angels, a very fast Blood Ravens army, a balanced Ultramarines, a small Grey Knight detatchment and even a Raven Guard force. Through using these various forces in quite a few games lately I've run into many various aspects of Space Marine tactics and combat, some I've discussed in tacticas, however this is a casual discussion of the various tactics and aspects of the Astartes that I encounter with my many armies. A sort of experimental tactical journal... thing... perhaps. A random idea spawned from being entirely too bored. So for starters:

[hr]

05/10/07 It's All About the Firepower

Good day brothers, today's topic is guns, guns and more guns. An Astartes strikeforce can carry as many assorted blades, hammers and fists as it wishes, however without proper firepower, many such forces will meet nothing but a swift death. Covering fire to get assault units where they are going, heavy weapons to bring down tanks or lay down suppressive fire, or to thin the enemies ranks before reaching combat in the first place. Few armies can operate without firepower of some kind. A few examples from my most recent excursions.

Recently the Imperial Fists first company had a run in with a group of 13th Company, despite all those nifty rules about deep striking, somehow the captain and his numerous Terminators managed to not appear until turn 3, imagine that. Well nevertheless having storm bolters en-mass allowed them to set up a gunline across the field from the wolf packs and gun them down while marching backwards, delaying the moment when both forces collided and allowing the command squad to counter charge, butchering their foes. Despite the sheer number of power weapons, power fists and other assorted nasty close combat weapons of one kind or another, the battle would have been lost without the versatile firepower the Imperial Fists could bring to bear.

While that tale was a success another important clash occured not long later between the Raven Guard and the Thousand Sons. The few guns in the Raven Guard task force were quickly out shot by the Thousand Sons, who then continued to back away from the maneuvering Raven Guard assault squads, forcing them to run out into certain death or remain hidden behind cover. Without the firepower to deal with the Thousand Sons vehicles at range, the Raven Guard could not risk rushing forth into the jaws of the Thousand Sons firepower. It looks like the sons of Corax need to dig up a few Lascannons.

Thus the lesson for today is, if you really want to run at people with a pointy peice of metal to make with the stabbing and slashing stuff, you either need enough guns to keep the enemy busy, or the numbers to just not care, and marines tend to be better at the former than the later... unless you worship khorn and then you just don't 'care about anything else.

[hr]

And that is part one of my strange little experiment.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 14:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky
Default Re: Life in the Fortress Monastary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Thus the lesson for today is, if you really want to run at people with a pointy peice of metal to make with the stabbing and slashing stuff, you either need enough guns to keep the enemy busy, or the numbers to just not care...
Or you're an Ork. 8)

Very enjoyable little read there, Vash. I enjoyed the sorta in-character fluffy presentation of it. Odd title though, but I guess that's what drew me in so I can't complain.

I look forward to seeing the next one. (There is going to be a next one, right?)

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 17:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Durza

I love it! Very good.
Durza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 04:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ducky
Very enjoyable little read there, Vash. I enjoyed the sorta in-character fluffy presentation of it. Odd title though, but I guess that's what drew me in so I can't complain.

I look forward to seeing the next one. (There is going to be a next one, right?)
I'm glad you enjoyed it, it's just a for fun little project I decided to work on and I haven't fully decided how it's going to go, a sort of tactical/fluffy/amusing analysis about the battles I fight or just other things I notice and decide to ramble about that involve Space Marines but don't demand an entire battle report or tactica to go into and that can also be fun to read. At least thats the idea, I hope its working.

And of course there will be more .

[hr]

05/13/07 Who's the Heretic Today

Well brothers, recently I saw a most amusing and depressing scene. On Semba III the Salamanders discovered something the Inquisition apparently decided was not theirs to know. Officially the Salamanders company suffered a mishap of faulty intelligence that pitted them against the wrong foe. Amazing what the Inquisition is capable of isn't it? Honestly I should be dead too but apparently I'm too much trouble to kill, a most amusing turn of events.

So lets be honest, there are a lot of marines out there, and they all seem to do things their own way, the Emperor knows the Space Wolves and Dark Angels take every opportunity to bash in each others skulls, the Black Dragons are surprisingly still around and haven't been purged yet, the Grey Knights do the purging and many of the Blood Angels successors aren't looked on too kindly. In such a diverse empire as the Imperium people can't help but disagree, and with so many guns around it seems we can't sit down like educated and civilised people and discuss things, so instead we just shoot each other. I suppose it makes things simpler that way.

The lesson for today is, we all serve the Imperium, just make sure that your service keeps you friendly with the right people or someone else may serve by carying out your death. "For the Emperor" can mean a lot of things and surprisingly many people don't mind if both sides are saying it. Face the foes of the Imperium brothers, but don't forget to watch your back.

On the other hand if you have nothing else to do, a good shoot out in the middle of a hive can be quite enjoyable and a great training excercise.

Old 14 May 2007, 04:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

[Eldar demeaning talk] I think that your attempts are unsatisfactory and pathetic [/Eldat demeaning talk]

That said, now that someone other than me has replied i will: funny, Im looking forward to something about plasma guns ^_^

keep it up
Old 14 May 2007, 22:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

05/14/07 Public Service Announcement: Plasma Burns

Plasma, we all know it, some love it but one thing we all know about it is, it hurts. Usually more for the enemy than the wielder but we have all seen those poor marines who find the "undocumented features" of plasma weaponry. This is also a point where the Tau just laugh at us poor Imperials as we burn ourselves with our own guns. Now some chapters seem to have a strange obsession with Plasma, the Confessors make use of an immense amount of plasma, their sergeants regularly carry Combi Plasmas or Plasma Pistols and they make use of many Plasma Cannons and Plasma Guns, yet somehow they seem to be lucky enough to avoid dangerous overheats most of the time, yet recently I saw several sergeants fall to their own guns on Semba III. The Dark Angels also seem to make use of a lot of Plasma Weaponry and use it fairly well.

Now some just cross their fingers and pray to the Emperor that their guns don't have a critical failure. But there are some ways this can be avoided. The Dark Angel Mortis Dreadnaught's armored frame doesn't suffer from the threat of its plasma cannon overheating. A gun servitor in a Techmarine's retinue can be guided by the Techmarine's Signum making it effectively twin linked and far safer. Officers can take Master Crafted Plasma Pistols that while they are costly they can be quite effective and the danger is greatly minimised. Another trick is using Apothecaries, some chapters play it safe and upgrade squad sergeants to Apothecaries, this allows the sergeant to use his skills to save a single marine every now and then who's armors machine spirit was sleeping on the job, the Captain in command can use this to keep his warriors safe from their own weaponry, letting the Apothecary patch them up whenever their guns do overload.

So those are some tips to all my fellow marines out there on how to safely use your plasma weaponry, unless you have a strange suicidal streak, maybe it has something to do with those Depressing Mortifactors or self punishing Imperial Fists. In any case remember brothers, plasma burns, plasma burns bad.

Old 15 May 2007, 01:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

And remember folks, a malfunctioning plasma weapon looks EXACTLY the same as a "good condition" model.

Now for something completely diferent

Funny, let me write one!

*Ducks monetary units hurled by big brother*
Old 09 Jun 2007, 05:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

06/09/07 Personalisation

Ok brothers, we have all seen those young, just starting Chapters with the forge standard black armor and nothing else, or those chapters too stuffy to let their marines make alterations to their armor. Those marines are so boring and unimaginative.

Adding personal markings to ones armor is a great way to personalize the armor and stand out on the battlefield, as well as show battlefield decorations. One doesn't have to be an amazing painter to do it either. Lets say a sergeant does something amazing, like kills a Greater Daemon with a bolt pistol. So you paint the plating of that pistol gold, or perhaps paint it white (or some other basic color) and add some gold or black text (chronicling the event) oer perhaps even make the marine a veteran sergeant and add the appropriate markings to his helmet. Perhaps you play a campaign and all those models who did particularly well you paint a campaign badge, which cam be as simple as a solid color, diagonal line on a knee pad and then a few dots in the middle, or as complex as painting a segment of armor another color and adding details. For veterans you can add scrollwork to the armor.

In all these ways it is possible to encourage ones battle brothers to display their various honors and achievements and personalize your company, insighting fear into the enemy and awe into your allies and all that.

Have a good day my brother Astartes and remember, plain armor is just plain bland.

Old 10 Jun 2007, 06:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

o6/10/07 Teleporting: Lunatics Only

You know, I always said that anyone who is willing to be sent flying through the immaterium with naught but ancient and poorly understood technology to protect them, to materialize in solid stone as easily as in safe and empty air, are simply lunatics.

However simetimes teleporting offers tactical possibilities that just cannot be ignored. Despite the dangers of possibly scattering into something unpleasant, the real dangers are elsewhere. The majority of units that can teleport are Terminators of one variation or another. Yet just because they can doesn't mean it's a good idea. For one without a Teleport Homer scattering means to be on the safe side one must be a comfortable distancefrom the enemy, but that makes heavy flamers and other such weapons useless. Even the Assault cannon won't be any good if you scatter out of sight of your target. Thus teleport homers are a great way to help safely teleport where you need to be. Scouts and Bikes are great ways to get those homers where you need them either through the speed of the bikes or the infiltrating abilities of the scouts.

On the other hand before one choses where to deep strike it is important to examine the whole battlefield. Just today I saw an eight man squad of Grey Knigth Terminators Deep Strike in the midst of an Eldar Battleline, their storm bolters roaring and their nemesis force weapons at the ready they had expected to gun down the puny Eldar and then rip them apart in close combat. However the Eldar were prepared for this, the Banshees that had been grouped together behind a hill to lure the Terminators out absorbed the few cassualties caused by the Storm Bolters and then charged in with abandon, by the time the Banshees were done the Terminators were slaughtered and the Banshees still had more than 70% of their number remaining. What a way to go for the Emperor's finest huh?

It is very important to take into consideration not only the units the Terminators can target, but also who can target or attack them. If you cannot complete your objective without risking the annihilation of the Terminators then it may well be prudent to deploy them in a safe location and have them move to the fight later, an irritating turn of events but better than so much dead veterans.

Lastly Assault Terminators, big and nasty they may be but without guns of any kind they are sitting ducks when out in the open, they may be able to Deep Strike but with no teeth at range it leaves them vulnerable for the turn they arrive which is all your enemy likely needs to kill them all. Leave those Assault equipped Terminators to hitching a ride in the nearest Land Raider, preferably the Crusader variant.

Old 13 Jun 2007, 08:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Have a good day my brother Astartes and remember, plain armor is just plain bland.
Heh when i first started playing for each lascannon/meltgun/battlecannon/assault cannon shot my dreadnought took in a game id add a nice bulet hole to represent it. . . .
Lo, after 4 battles my dreadnought had been drilled to peices and resembles a piece of leerdammer cheese. :-[ .... cmon i was like 12 at the time lol.

I have broght a forgeworld one now which i am not repeating the process on.

So Id have to add; use your common sense when customising.
Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote