Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Picking a CC Marine Chapter
Old 08 May 2007, 22:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Picking a CC Marine Chapter

Hi guys. After I finsih my Tau, I'm going to start a cool close combat marines force, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I've looked at Blood Angels and Black Templars. I'd appreciate it if someone could explain the major advantages and disadvantages of Blood Angles, Black Templars and a Codex force themed to Close Combat. If possible I want to include lots of terminator armor. Also please consider the cost, since it seems a normal Codex forc e would be less than templars since they have their fancy and expensive upgrade packs.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2007, 22:33   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: Picking a CC Marine Chapter

For the Templar you are Fearless in CC, can get all those nifty vows, such as ignoring major psychic powers on a 5+ and minors completely, or 3+ on everything(including MC's according to the GW hotline) to hit, a 6+ invulnerable for everyone. Or +1 strength at -1 initiative. You can mount everything but Sword Brethren(you can for Termies) in Landraider Crusaders.

Some of the Downsides are the Righteous Zeal(which can be a plus depending), no devastators, and a low amount of people who can take gear such as a teleport homer. They are slightly more expensive than regular marines, With Initiates and Sword Brethren being 1 point more, and Commanders being 5 points more. But, other than that, not much else that I can think of!
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2007, 22:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sounds pretty cool to me. If I did them I'd probably do a successor using the same rules, since I'm not paying $30 per couple squads for the BT stuff.

If someone could elaborate about Blood Angels and Codex Marines, especially with the density of Terminator ARmor in each list, I'd appreciate it.
Old 08 May 2007, 22:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

If you want large amounts of terminator armour and decent/good melee, I would recommend Deathwing on the same line as BT and BA.
You may not have the Vows as the Templars or the same level of melee power as Blood Angels, but you get the nifty Deathwing Assault rule. The ability to mix weaponry as you like in the Terminator squads and by adding Belial(cheap!) your Terminators count as troops. You also get the choice of adding a termie standard-bearer and apothecary. ^^
It is all about taste
Good luck.
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2007, 23:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmmm... Deathwing might be interesting. Where are the Deathwing rules? The normal Marines Codex? Or are they special?
Old 08 May 2007, 23:44   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

They're in the Dark Angel's codex
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 02:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

From what I've seen it depends on how much CC you're talking. Blood Angels (for the moment) a really nasty on the charge and its free so thats nice. The BT can just throw bodies at the enemy while backed up by Land Raider Crusaders. If you really want to go terminator crazy though you'd have to go Dark Angels for the Deathwing. The BT can have a nice mix if you don't want to go too much either way.

War is great! Well, except for that dying part ...
BeserkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 03:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

What about Space Wolves? Who doesn't love drunken vikings in space?

Out of the two you mention I'd go with BT. Lovely close combat ability, the possibility of Monty Python jokes and you don't get egged for having Death Company
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 03:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to TheEmperorsJanitor Send a message via Yahoo to TheEmperorsJanitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
What about Space Wolves? Who doesn't love drunken vikings in space?
Seconded.

Run with the wolves young nerdling!!!!
I just don't get the attraction, how is a vampire girl sexy? It's a monster, it wants to kill you, stop thinking about having sex with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord General Thunder
You just wasted 5 seconds of my life, you prick.
TheEmperorsJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 03:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you want the wolves I'd recommend them. They're very straight forward actually. With true grit they don't sacrifice any real ranged power and get an extra attack. They also can pack more special weapons in a squad than you would believe. Blood Claws are fun too. Drop Podding them is devastating. They do lack Devastators (long fangs are just too fragile in my opinion) but they have all the vehicle support you could need. Not to mention blood claw bikers who have 3 attacks on the charge (as bikers). The only draw back is that the terminators are limited to HQ retinues, but you get an HQ for each 750 points so you can easily get 3 if you want.

War is great! Well, except for that dying part ...
BeserkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote