Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dark Angel Plasma Junkies!!
Old 23 Apr 2007, 14:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Dark Angel Plasma Junkies!!

A small post from a new fan of the "sun gun"..

My Dark Angels 'Conflict' 750pt list that saw action last weekend was setup with a few things ive never used before- namely a Dread with Plasma Cannon and a Plasma cannon for one of my tac squads (which was deployed as a 5 man combat squad). This gave me 2 Plas Cannons (one immune to overheating death!) and two standard plasma guns for the tac squads.

The sheer amount of death i dealt out with these AP2 wonders was staggering- in three games i missed once with one plasma gun which was a roll of a 1, which I saved against. Everything else hit, and with hugely detrimental results for the target.

So many people belittled me for not taking more high strength weapons (although, the dread also had a missile launcher..), so they all thought that they were fine.. they dont seem to realise that i can still hurt AV13?

And after all, there's something distinctly Dark Angels about Plasma weaponry... Im sure tho that now that i've extolled the brilliance of said weaponry it will turn around and overheat next time out...

"Robed" Dark Angels-2500pts
kapow ur dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 16:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Dark Angel Plasma Junkies!!

Lets see in my Dark Angel army every Tac squad has a plasma pistol, plasma gun and plasma cannon, my characters all have palsma guns and I've even got plasma weapons for half of my Devastators. The only thing that doesn't have plasma that has the option are a couple devs and the Dreadnaught. I put out a lot of plasma shots each turn and they generally do fairly well, but that doesn't mean they always make up for a lessening in the number of lascannons and other guns I could field.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 11:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

oh, i totally agree with you on that- Lascannons and higher strength stuff is awesome, but for pure MEQ killing im finding it hard to go past plasma... at least for tourneys where all the kiddies are bringing out their freshly painted Marines from the Battle From Macragge boxed set :P

Next addition will most definately be some Lascannons and a few Devs with Missile Launchers also.

Old 24 Apr 2007, 14:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapow Ur Dead
oh, i totally agree with you on that- Lascannons and higher strength stuff is awesome, but for pure MEQ killing im finding it hard to go past plasma... at least for tourneys where all the kiddies are bringing out their freshly painted Marines from the Battle From Macragge boxed set :P

Next addition will most definately be some Lascannons and a few Devs with Missile Launchers also.
Don't diss the marines from battle of macragge, I love my statics.....

And yeah plasma's are pretty decient guns, although quiet hefty on thing's like sarges, characters and assault squads. In larger games some lascannons wouldn't go too far astry but in your 750pts list, I can't see much wrong with it.
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 14:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hehe, im just not a fan of fronting to tourneys to find row upon row of UM's, as its the most implemented colourscheme for the younger ones...

My own UMs are good fun, and arent too far removed from my currentl 750pts DA list- a dread, 2x tac squads etc..

Old 24 Apr 2007, 17:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I love plasma, and most of all plasma cannons. When ever they come up in army lists on TO theres always loads of people who jump in to say that there simply not cost effective ..... etc. They use to be better before 4th ed when u didn't have to center them, an now everyones favorite argument is that you "never hit more than one marine" and how "a good opponent will alway spread out." This simple isn't true every game i play i see perfect opportunities from a well places plasma template wether its squads crammed close together to get cover or just consolidating from a big combat, or a unit packed into an objective. My PC's always seem to make many times there points back, and there not to bad either, at st 7, if a tank turns its side to you.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 17:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Well, Plasma weapons are, or was, the trademark for the Unforgiven. Now, to my annoyance, the price has increased quite a bit.
Still, Plasma weapons are great. I usually put a Plasma cannon in every tactical squad. Often also with a Plasma gun as well.
Plasma is great. Case closed ;D
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 19:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Question:

How do marines get to save against overheating plasma weapons? Aren't they AP2? The only way you'd survive a plasma overheat is if you rolled a 1 to wound, right?

No saves allowed. Am I crazy? That's the way folks have always played in my group.
cawshis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 20:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawshis
Question:

How do marines get to save against overheating plasma weapons? Aren't they AP2? The only way you'd survive a plasma overheat is if you rolled a 1 to wound, right?

No saves allowed. Am I crazy? That's the way folks have always played in my group.
No, no an overheat is not the same as a shot. You don't roll to wound when you overheat. When the weapon overheats the marine is just automatically wounded, no strength and no ap value, he rolls a save and if its failed he takes a wound. The AP and Strength of the particular weapon are not considered. An understandable misunderstanding though.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2007, 07:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Plasma seems to have been a DA trademark item since the days of 2nd edition where the DA tactical boxed set gave us a metal plasma gun model, i think it sort of went from there??

Yes, Plasma has gotten a tad expensive, but i suppose thats why our Dreads are now a bit more expensive (+20pts) when compared to a vanilla army, and by god they earn back their cost in casualties- my last few games have allowed me to shoot at grouped Marines/CSMs after they've wiped out my troops- the results were staggering..