Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Destroying the Monolith
Old 23 Apr 2007, 09:28   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Destroying the Monolith

Hi, I was wondering what way you would advise to best destroy a monolith.

I am a big fan of melta weapons and melta bombs, but their effectiveness is slashed by the 'liths special rule. I do not particularly like lascannons, so apart from a battery from them, is there an effective way to destroys the monolith without lascannons?
Pttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 12:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Destroying the Monolith

UHm... even with a battery of lascannons there is no garuntee of dwoning a monolith in time. they are appallingly tough. close combat doesn't work because it is a skimmer. Missle launchers are unreliable due to low strength. If you need to bring down a monolith, you will probbably have to hit it with everything you've got. I don't know of any sure way to stop the thing.
Rapid Fire

Gets 'em every time

Bustafer Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 13:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've always just killed necrons and ignored the monolith. Yes the monolith makes it harder to phase out the necrons, but if you can block the entrance to the monolith then the enemy can't use it to teleport....

Just try to block it with something that can withstand the intense fire power and use the missiles, meltas and plasma (along with every bolter you have) to whittle him down to that magic 25%.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 14:31   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I would agree with ignoring the Monolith. It is insanely tough and your firepower will be better served nailing all the Necron units instead to force a phase out. IMO, the only army that should take the Monolith down right off is Tau whose railguns are available in numbers and can reliably shoot it down.

As far as the necron units go shoot down destroyers first, then the fast assault units, and then just start thinning the herd. If you can take a pot shot at the Lord go for it. Also, assault them if you can. Even the "assault" necron units are only so-so against a typical marine unit with a buried power weapon or fist and if you can break the Necron unit you can run it down pretty easily. Good luck.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 15:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

two dreads with twin las, missile launchers and tank hunters. it' works, trust me

bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 15:58   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Not sure that tankhunters applies to the superevil monolith. Living metal is a real pain.....
Old 23 Apr 2007, 16:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justiciar
Not sure that tankhunters applies to the superevil monolith. Living metal is a real pain.....
Hmm... I may have to look that up cos i've been playing that it is effective. If it's not i owe an apology lol

bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 19:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

The monlith rules are pretty unclear, but i think tank hunters still works. i think it just denies extra penetration dice. Still, it is one tough customer. I disagree somewhat with ignoring it, though. I wouldn't make it a priority, no, but that think can start frying who squads of marines in one shot, and that gets old real quick. To make matters worse, my usual necron opponent runs a monlith and a night bringer. Sure, not many necrons left over, so pretty easy to phase out, but if he keeps the warriors back and sends in the heavy stuff, my infantry list runs into a whole lot of trouble. The monolith is not priority one, but killing it sure makes the rest a whole lot easier.
Rapid Fire

Gets 'em every time

Bustafer Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 04:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Tank Hunters does indeed affect the monolith, and combined with lascannons, provides your only actually reliable chance at killing it.

Should you kill it? Depends on the tactical situation. They're powerful...but slow. It just might not be a priority at first. DSing is a pain though, unless he gets unlucky on reserve rolls...if it comes in on say, turn five, it might be faster to go for phase out.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 05:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

I've got a perfect winning streak vs Necrons and all I can say is that I never bothered with the Monolith. Pound the troops in close combat is really the best thing marines can do. There is a whole thread on my advice for taking on Necrons here. it's part of our important topics and links.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote