Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help with beating my friend's cheesy tactic.
Old 21 Apr 2007, 17:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Help with beating my friend's cheesy tactic.

Okay, my opponent has beaten me in all but a single game, and every time he wins, it's by the same means. We're both playing Space Marines. (He's got the Purity Above All Else trait.)

He has a ridiculous amount of rocket launchers. He basically sits them in the back of the board with an Apothecary or two and pummels everything I have with Krak Rounds. By the time anything reaches range with his troops, it's been thinned out so much that it doesn't really stand a chance. I have a single Devestator squad but it never gets to do much as the only things that can compete with his range are a single rocket launcher and a lascannon. If either of them score a wound, his Apothecary ignores it and in the next turn, my Devs get shredded. I tried running them in a transport to get them closer (Just once with a borrowed Rhino) and he blew it up with no survivors during his first shooting phase.

I can't figure out how to beat him. I tried running all my fast units (landspeeders, bikes) at him as soon as I could and they never make it. I'm not sure exactly how it's distributed but most of the time he's rolling seven rocket shots per shooting phase.

I'm somewhat limited on my units (2 tac squads with no special weapons, 2 assault squads, a bike squad, a Venerable Dread, and a Landspeeder Tornado.) I'm just starting to build my army.

My question, then, is twofold. If I need to get a new unit to counter this (in my opinion, uberly cheesy tactic), what would it be? And is there a way to beat it with what I'm currently fielding?

We've played a decent amount of games and it's getting really frustrating because he's doing the same thing every time. When I tell him to change his tactics a little he reworks his list to include a Land Raider and some Termies, and then I lose because I can't consistantly beat the LR's armor.
SmellTheAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2007, 20:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to captain_octavain
Default Re: Help with beating my friend's cheesy tactic.

Get a deep striking unit to land in the middle of their lines (preferably terminators) and let him be distracted by them, while you move all your fast units up into charge range, and keep all your units before that in cover/out of range so he moves forward in order to get a shot at you, but keep 2 counter-assualt/ambush units available In case he tries something funky.
for preserving my rights
to live and die for this life
and paying the ultimate price for me to be...FREE!
captain_octavain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2007, 22:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Use cover as you close with him, and only close with him if you are doing a seek and destroy mission. If he wants to win a Take and Hold, or a Cleanse, or a Secure and Control, or a Recon, he can't just sit back and shoot.
Old 22 Apr 2007, 00:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If I remember right there's a trait that allows you to infiltrate both tactical and devastators.... :
Old 22 Apr 2007, 00:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howloutloud
If I remember right there's a trait that allows you to infiltrate both tactical and devastators.... :
Yea "see but dont be seen" if I remember right.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2007, 03:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

My Deathwing are good for fixing probs like this- Deathwing assault on turn one, open fire with assault cannon and then smash whats left in second turn with lightning claws/ thunder hammers.. Should work well for 'normal' termies as well.

"Robed" Dark Angels-2500pts
kapow ur dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2007, 04:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Durza

Sounds like he's cheating, Apothecaries can only ignore unsaved wounds, and can't save against insta-death.
Durza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2007, 05:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yah, Apothecaries can't heal insta kill wounds. So a possible solution could be 3 vindicators if you had them but anyways. You're best bet it seems is to try to get some nice big pieces of terrain to block his lanes of fire. Also if you can keep your guys out of sight until like turn 4 on any objective based game he'll have to start moving by then and you can attack. Also if he's relying on krak he'll have a lot of trouble hurting a land raider, you could be cheap like him and take two land raiders and really have some fun. Other than that, drop pod in and hose him when you jump out. Yes he'll get to shoot you, but played right he'll get one shooting phase and that shouldn't be enough.

War is great! Well, except for that dying part ...
BeserkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2007, 12:42   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

get more guys *cough(read my sig)* get more guys and heavy weapons, sit in cover and beat him at his own game. heavy bolters seem to do the trick. have devvies with heavy bolters get nice and close supported by nice chunky units and he wont know which way to go. assault marines are also handy to have on the field but i wouldnt suggest it if hes gonna do that tactic.(dangerous terrain tests if you want the cover save etc)

my two cents.
AUS$0.02

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it
every six months.

Teamwork is essential -- it allows you to blame someone else.

--thanks to DRobot
FiremaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2007, 16:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin

scouts.
get them into combat, with power weapons, while the rest of your stuff moves up through cover, works EVERY time, although i have no experience of playing with normal marines, only space wolves.

alternatively, you could get something big, a landraider for example, usually people will shoot them because they're big, and you can put a command squad in there, so that if it does make it, they can jump out and eat stuff.