Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dark Angels and Master Crafted Weapons???
Old 15 Apr 2007, 08:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Dark Angels and Master Crafted Weapons???

I was just having a look at the new Dark Angels codex and i noticed that they can't take master crefted weapons. I can't work out why this is, thier one of the first founded chapters, Black Templars and normal Space Marines chapters can take them. So why is it then that Dark Angels can't take master crafted weapons?
grimreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2007, 11:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Dark Angels and Master Crafted Weapons???

Damn man beat me to it.... Was about to post that exact question.

We had an idea it could be somthing over looked... also one other is Artificer armour i noticed they cant have. Is it just me or is the new wargear system in the Dex kinda crap?
Old 15 Apr 2007, 11:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The simple answer is fluff. Artificer armor and master crafted weapons should be extremely rare. Yet every vet sgt in the normal marine codex has access? Thats just not right.

As for the reason you can't take it on your chapter masters or your librarians/chaplains... ok, who here hasn't tooled up one of their characters before. Are we to believe that every librarian in the imperium has a iron halo? Should every chaplain have a power fist and a adamantite mantle and artificer armor? I mean a 2+/4+ immune to instant kill and armed with the ability to kill anything, while cool and all, just isn't the way that the fluff goes (and is kind of points intensive).

By taking away some of the more "no brainer" choices they've made the Dark Angels a more tactical army.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 22:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yea but that means the dark angels (excluding special characters) have NO acess to those tiems at all. IT means normal 'updated' marines can squash the Dark Angel champions.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 23:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I wouldn't say "squash", but DA characters have certainly taken a hit (especially Librarians). At this point, it's rather stupid to take a bog-standard character for combat, their special counterparts easily outclassing them.

Also, why do the DA have far less goodies (arty armour, master-crafted) than other chapters? They have a total of 6 master-crafted weapons! Only 2 sets of artificer armour? A single Adamantine (most definitely not Adamantite - it's not that hard to spell)? For a chapter with apparantly tons of ancient suits of TDA, they sure don't have the other items to go with it. Whether or not it's fluffy, Vanilla Marine can take more, and that's just stupid.

Even if I realize that CA isn't as bad as what I first thought, there's still a lot I dislike strongly.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
O Y Montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2007, 00:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

There are also many typos within the codex. One i know off my head is in the wargear list for Command squads

'Up to 2 veterans their chain sword or bolter with...'
Old 16 Apr 2007, 00:15   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

My sense is that Dark Angels players are supposed to take their Special Characters. Period. Use their rules and call them something else, maybe, but the Special Characters represent the loaded-out regular characters you can build with the normal Space Marine List. And the Dark Angels Special Characters do have Master-Crafted Weapons, for the most part. So every Dark Angels army should be fielding at least one of them. The codex makes it even more obvious by forcing you to take them to play the pure Deathwing and Ravenwing forces. This is all Jervis. Remember that article he wrote a few monthes back about how he wanted to see more Special Characters being used? This is the result. I don't really have a problem with it.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2007, 01:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I guess that's understandable, but I'd rather make my own special character than use an official one. (I'm working on one or two of my own for my DYI Chapter, and it's pretty fun, I must admit.)
SmellTheAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2007, 10:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

There's a house rule in our club so that masters can master craft thier weapons at the price in C:SM, although some want it for sargents and stuff (not mentioning any names am I JD? :), which I feel is fine, just talk to your oponent about it, if they wont allowit, just take melta bombs on everyone to make points.

Although I do strongly fell they when the FaQ is published, Da character will be able to master craft stuff, and it will be in a second run of the codex (not the first time DA have had to have a second run of a codex is it?)
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2007, 12:19   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Bear something in mind, gentlemen; the Dark Angels codex is a template on how future Codices are meant to be. This means that whilst they may seem weak now, all the overpowered lists are likely to get their heads kicked in until they beg for mercy, and when that happens the Dark Angels will be looking pretty good.

Plus, I notice nobody bothers to actually read their Codex... for example, you can have a Stormbolter, Bolt Pistol and Power weapon on your HQ (read it... it is legal), and you still get +1 A for two Close Combat weapons! All your guys are 4 Attacks basic no matter what weapon load you give them, and they get Fearless, plus Frag & Krak Grenades for free!

Who needs Master Crafting? I never really used it myself. The problem is not the Dark Angels aren't getting enough "ancient relics", it's that everyone else is using too many!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote