Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Predator Variants
Old 15 Apr 2007, 03:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Predator Variants

I'm in the process of expanding my marine army to be suited for Apocalypse style battles. I've never been a big fan of space marine tanks until recently and now I'm having some trouble deciding on what to get. I'm thinking about getting two predators but I'm not sure if I should equip one as an annihilator and one as a destructor or both as annihilators. It seems that for the 20 extra points it would be worth it every time to get the annihilator (TL lascannon w/ hvy. bolter sponsons). I was also toying with the idea of getting magnets so I could change the weaponry depending on what role I need them to play.

I'd be open to pretty much any options including other tanks (besides land raiders) but I need some advice before the end of the weekend so I can cash in on the BWBits sale. ;D

Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2007, 04:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Predator Variants

Magnets are a good idea, I know a BT player who magnitised his preds, one tank becomes six.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2007, 04:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, magnets are always a good thing to use.

And why no Land Raiders?
SmellTheAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2007, 04:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I use an annihilator with Heavy Bolters in my list and I must say, it is invaluable to fire everything on the move. Yes I know mixing roles is considered a 40K sin, but in this case it actually helps, as you aren't stuck in place or overpaying for the tank to get PotmS. I would run more, but I love my whirlwinds too much :P

tanarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2007, 05:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Random off topic question, but what is PotmS?
Old 15 Apr 2007, 05:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

@ SmelltheAshes - I just don't really like Land Raiders. I think they draw too much attention and aren't worth the points when you can get two Predators for the price of one Land Raider. I'm not too cray about the models, either

PotmS = Power of the Machine Spirit.

@ Tanarin - I was considering a whirlwind too. They seem like they would do very well against infantry but little else. It seems like the predators equipped as mentioned would be a good mix of anti-tank and anti-infantry. Maybe I should get two predators and a whirlwind.

Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2007, 06:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I found if you are going to run whirlwinds, you really should run them in pairs, since when it comes to scatter, redundancy is better. Just remember two things with Whirlwinds:

A) They are basically heavy Bolters, so don't exect them to excel on Marines (Though at the same time most likely you will be taking out at least a model with one.

B) You don't have to declare until game time, so if you are facing a mobile army like Speed freaks, mines might be the way to go, as the mines will hit on back armor and are S6.

tanarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2007, 07:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks; there are so many abbreviations! I'll get them all eventually.

And I guess I'm just awed by Land Raiders because my opponent keeps using one and I've not once even scored an actual hit on it.

But yeah, I'd say a mixed variant for the Predators.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 07:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

I'd say destructor, for 5 more points than the basic annihilator you get another lascannon and a auto cannon. IT dosn't matter that they arn't twinlicked. 2 wepons are better than 1 tqinlicked any day.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2007, 10:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

One advice I can give you is to always arm the tanks with Heavy Bolter sponsons. The ability to fire on the move is invaluable.

The choice between the different variants depends on what kind of weapons you need, does your army include much anti-troop weapons? Then maybe an Annihilator would be the best choice to give a punch against enemy armour. And just the other way around with the Destructor variant.
Stam is offline   Reply With Quote