Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need help picking a chapter...
Old 07 Apr 2007, 09:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Need help picking a chapter...

I got some Space Marines that I'm thinking of using as the start of my second army, but I don't know which chapter I want to play. I got a codex on the way, but in the meantime I don't know much about them. Been thinking about Ultramarines, but it seems like everyone has an Ultramarines army... :-\

I was thinking maybe Black Templars, too. Any advice?

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2007, 09:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Munchkin
Default Re: Need help picking a chapter...

Think about what you want carefully. If you really can't decide, it's great fun to create your own. You can mix them all up, or give doctrines, and you have your own, cool, unique chapter that no one can say: 'That's wrong!' to. Black Templars require lots of extra bitz, so if your pockets aren't full, don't get 'em.

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

Help Support My Humor!
Munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2007, 16:29   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

When picking an army I usually consider (primarily) 3 things; play style, paint scheme, and background, not necessarily in that order.

Do you want a shooty, balanced, or assault style army? Most players I have met like to have an army that is different in its play style from their other armies.
Having a play style you like will keep you playing your army for years but having one you hate will make your army shelf bait in a hurry. You currently play Tau I believe so I would suggest a balanced (easily achievable for marines) or assault oriented force.

I would also not buy anything more than a tac squad or two until you get the codex and look through it. The last thing you want is a bunch of models you will never use. If you have a friend you can arrange a casual game or two with outside the local game store I would suggest running a proxy battle or two with them. Just use figures from your current army and designate them as being the units from the new army. It might help nail down how you want the new army to operate and prevent unnecessary purchases as well as diminishing the frustration level.

A well liked paint scheme is important for keeping you painting until the army is finished and not throwing in the towel and leaving you with a half-painted army. Once upon a time I did not think the paint issue was that big a deal, then I starter painting Word Bearers. Let me just say that painting multiple layers of red (because the paint is so weak) and truckloads of boltgun metal trim was less than fun. Also, having different paint schemes lets you experiment with other colors and improves your painting overall.

Personally I find background to be the most important of the three in keeping me playing a particular army. I like to have an army with a history and heroes that are at least a little different from the stereotype version of the army and I very much like having an army that can have "personalities" in it. I have not had much success in enjoying my Necron army due to the impersonal nature of it (at least to my perception).

For your marine army I would suggest going to the GW website and reading through all the marine background there as a start. There are also a lot of helpful links in the Important Topics and Links subject thread on this board. That should give you a good overview of the marine background and different established chapters.

If you like one of those chapters you can adopt it and go from there. If you want to make your own chapter then you probably need to start doing more research to make it interesting while still keeping it relatively "true" to the 40k universe. Too many insanely impressive deeds or really anything too jarring to the overall background will lessen the chances of your chapter fitting in and folks will tend to make comments.

For a DIY chapter, what you want to develop is a theme of some sort whether it is based on a particular culture (White Scars = Mongols, Black Templars = Knights Templar from Crusades, Ultramarines = Greco-Roman), historical military force, or sci-fi fiction. Regardless, you will probably want to change a detail or two about the background to make it "different" or unique. The Index Astartes articles and supplements are a good model for organizing this

Good luck.

(Excellent advice: +1 Karma awarded - Dutch)
Old 07 Apr 2007, 19:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Thanks Justiciar, don't know why I didn't notice those links before.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2007, 20:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
When picking an army I usually consider (primarily) 3 things; play style, paint scheme, and background, not necessarily in that order.
Best words of advice ever! Period!

I chose Ultra because they where well rounded, not a lot of "extra" stuff to buy or paint, and they are blue. Also I could use them in my DH army, and my DH in my Ultra army. Now that I have gotten better at playing I want to start a Space Wolves army.
Old 07 Apr 2007, 21:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to captain_octavain

Quote:
Been thinking about Ultramarines, but it seems like everyone has an Ultramarines army...
In my entire 4 year career of playing 40k I Have only seen one ultramarines player...

But I would start a DIY army because you can change it's play style and fluff anytime you want (useing divergences)

But the current chapter dex's are:
Black Templar's (assault)
Blood Angel's(assault)
Space Wolves(assault again)
Dark Angels( I dunno)
Ultramarines(codex)
for preserving my rights
to live and die for this life
and paying the ultimate price for me to be...FREE!
captain_octavain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 05:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Or just use a different portion of a well know chapter. I use a Tyranid themed Ultramarine army. A combination of Tyrannic War Vets of 1st Company and 3rd Company everyone else. If you look at most Ultramarine armies you may notice that the shoulders are gold trimmed. Mine will be red trimmed. Just subtle differences like that will really make your armys stand out. It also helps that my primary army is Tyranids. The Space Wolves 13th Company is another good choice for the bizzare Space Marines but they require specific models and that could get expensive. Right now there is a boom of Black Templar armies out there because of the new models and stuff last year. Same goes for the Dark Angels now.

The all consuming Y he are beyond the teachings of the Tau va And we Y he are proud of it

Lictor, Lictor, in a tree,
Stupid humans can't see me,
Reach out quick and cut one down,
See the rest all run around.
Quickly kill the last in line,
Hear the rest all squeal like swine.
Cut and slash and hack and slice,
Welcome to my paradise.
Lictor, Lictor in a tree,
No one's left to search for me.
Evisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 06:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming (aka Far_Shot)
Quote:
Been thinking about Ultramarines, but it seems like everyone has an Ultramarines army...
In my entire 4 year career of playing 40k I Have only seen one ultramarines player...
Wait what??? only one ultra player? Seriously, i've seen at least 12.

I say stick with whats coolest to you
-If your for over the top conversion work then you should try for Black Templars or Dark Angels, all those extra bits need somewhere to go.

-If you want a straightforward "just build it and be done" army go with ultramarines

-If you like red and blood and blood red, then blood angels are for you.

-Space wolves are berzerk and are feircely loyal. Also they have many, many details

Did I miss any?

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 15:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Why didn't I think of it before... What about Iron Hands? There is an unused army. I don't even think they have rules yet. They aren't "new" just not that used. That has alot of conversion possibilities. Bionics and all that.

The all consuming Y he are beyond the teachings of the Tau va And we Y he are proud of it

Lictor, Lictor, in a tree,
Stupid humans can't see me,
Reach out quick and cut one down,
See the rest all run around.
Quickly kill the last in line,
Hear the rest all squeal like swine.
Cut and slash and hack and slice,
Welcome to my paradise.
Lictor, Lictor in a tree,
No one's left to search for me.
Evisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 20:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

What about Raven Guard? They're my personal favoraite chapter (my homemade chapter uses thier gene-seed) They'd play differently from your tau, and not many people play them..