Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

devastator question
Closed Thread
Old 06 Apr 2007, 22:32   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default devastator question

Hi guys,
sorry for all the (probably) obvious questions. In a Dark Angels devastator squad, can I take more of one kind of heavy weapon? I'm thinking 2 las cannons or 2 heavy bolters. Thanks in advance.
Peace
Old 06 Apr 2007, 22:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak
Default Re: devastator question

Yes, you can 2 heavy bolters adn 2 lascannons are perfectly legal, as 4 lascannons are!

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Old 06 Apr 2007, 22:59   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thanks mav
Old 07 Apr 2007, 00:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

As Mav said, different kinds of weapon are perfectly legal... just very innefficient. Because you can't split fire, the Heavy Bolters would go to waste against heavy armour and the Lascannons are bad for anti-horde uses.

Unless you're Space Wolves, your best bet is to keep it confined to a single weapon type; Missile Launchers make sense in this role, since you can engage armour and infantry without having wasted fire for either type of target.
Old 07 Apr 2007, 00:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
Unless you're Space Wolves,
I'm gonna sound like an idiot (moreso than normally 8)), but what's so special about Space Wolves?
Old 07 Apr 2007, 00:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Space Wolve Long Fangs can split their fire as long as their pack leader is still alive.

Anyway Dark Angels can also get around this some, I run a Dev squad with 2 Lascannons and 2 Heavy Bolters that is 10 men strong. I form it into two combat squads with the anti infantry in one squad and the anti tank in the other. The Combat squads special rule really allows you to get the most out of your troops guns but it does have its downfalls.

Old 07 Apr 2007, 02:04   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Space Wolve Long Fangs can split their fire as long as their pack leader is still alive.

Anyway Dark Angels can also get around this some, I run a Dev squad with 2 Lascannons and 2 Heavy Bolters that is 10 men strong. I form it into two combat squads with the anti infantry in one squad and the anti tank in the other. The Combat squads special rule really allows you to get the most out of your troops guns but it does have its downfalls.
Yeah,
that's why I wanted to know. I'm playing a friend tomorrow and he plays eldar. If I was playing my tau I'd know exactly what to pick but I'm so new to marines (never even played against them which is weird) that I'm taking two tactical squads with missile launcher each and then a dev squad with two heavy bolters. then I'll have 5 combat squads running around, 2 with bolter, 2 with missiles and 1 with 2 heavy bolters. If anyone has any advice on what works well against eldar I'd sure appreciate a few hints.
Peace
Old 07 Apr 2007, 04:42   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooDragon
Yeah,
that's why I wanted to know. I'm playing a friend tomorrow and he plays eldar. If I was playing my tau I'd know exactly what to pick but I'm so new to marines (never even played against them which is weird) that I'm taking two tactical squads with missile launcher each and then a dev squad with two heavy bolters. then I'll have 5 combat squads running around, 2 with bolter, 2 with missiles and 1 with 2 heavy bolters. If anyone has any advice on what works well against eldar I'd sure appreciate a few hints.
Peace
You know what, I just have to say that, even as a Marine player, that that is kind of sad. That is is not the norm for you to NOT play a marine list. If you dont know what I'm talking about, check out the italicized and bolded part.
Old 07 Apr 2007, 04:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

That is wierd... I rarely fight anything BUT marines and my Tau have fought 90% of all their battles against marines of one form or another and now I myself own no less than four marine armies and a small Grey Knight army. Marines are more common than any other force in most places. So that is rather strange.

Old 07 Apr 2007, 04:49   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
That is wierd... I rarely fight anything BUT marines and my Tau have fought 90% of all their battles against marines of one form or another and now I myself own no less than four marine armies and a small Grey Knight army. Marines are more common than any other force in most places. So that is rather strange.
What I was saying is that it should not be the norm for you to play against Marines. So I like that guys area! When I began, there was 2 marine armies here, a SW and my BT. Now we have a (returned)DA, another DA, an Infliltrating, a Divergent Codex chapter, and lord knows what else...
Closed Thread