Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Discussion
Old 09 Feb 2007, 20:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Aratömte
Default Discussion

What is best, paiting your marines and REALLY cool or paint standard and play.. ?
Old 09 Feb 2007, 20:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aratömte
What is best, paiting your marines and REALLY cool or paint standard and play.. ?
Is the question:
"Which is best: painting your Marines to a "really cool" quality and waiting to play or painting your Marines to standard level quality and painting sooner?"

If that is your question. Then I have some questions for you. As a marine player, how many figures are you going to field? Say, maybe 40 and 2-3 vehicles? That's pretty much bigger than a 1,500 point army. So I'll assume that.

You should be able to produce 5-10 figures and hour to a reasonably good standard (especially marines if you undercoat properly). In a Marine army, 35 or so of your marines will be to this standard. Which means 3-7 hours of painting there.

Your commanders may take longer, maybe 2-4 hours each (if you're insanely detailed!). Still, that's only 10-20 hours of painting there (20 hours would be crazy and you'd be to 'Eavy Metal standards by then).

Vehicles can take as long as commanders. But marine vehicles are fairly easy to paint.

So, unless you're incredibly detailed or undisciplined, you should be able to paint your figures to a very acceptable (and above average) level in two weeks (tops). That's averaging 3 hours a day at the slowest estimate. (Do it while you watch TV).

Before I get beaten by everyone else - my estimates are all high...very high.

So, to hopefully answer your question - paint your commanders very well. Paint your troopers & vehicles well, but not commander level. If you assemble everything OOB, it shouldn't take you more than a couple weeks of playing.

But you don't want to paint to a poor standard just to get things on the table and have to re-paint or strip them down later. It's not worth it.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2007, 21:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I don't think either is 'better'. For some people, playing the game is the most important part of the hobby for them, while for others it is the modelling and painting side of things that keeps them collecting. I only ask that people paint their models! It doesn't have to be magnificent, or even good, but at least make an effort. Eventually it gets easier and painting to tabletop standard is your bread and butter; you'll wonder how you ever used to produce anything of lesser quality.

I've never put an unpainted miniature on the table (nor unbased for that matter) because I enjoy the spectacle of an epic battle unfolding as the game progresses, and I feel I'd be doing my opponent an injustice if I spoiled that for him. If the miniatures are featureless grey blobs, or worse still - proxy models, then it shatters the illusion and robs me of my enjoyment. I just go through the motions, looking forward to the moment the game will end and I can satisfy myself that I paid my dues for another day by playing against a lazy gamer, fondly hoping for the next opportunity to play against someone who has the common decency to at least basecoat their models.

Sorry, I'm going off on one again, but your question doesn't make much sense. Neither in a purely grammatical sense, nor as Emlyn translated it. Hobbyists that paint their miniatures to an exceptional standard rarely abstain from playing the game; typically, these are the most keen players you will ever meet. My point is, painting to a 'really cool' standard doesn't mean forgoing playing the game. Besides, no matter how hard you try, if you've never painted before, you won't be able to reach a very high standard anyway. If you have had enough practice to paint to a high standard then you're more than likely going to have a second army to play with between painting models for your new one. So the question in its current form is irrelevant really.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2007, 20:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Tom, how is it that i can always respect you? I'll wager that if we were seperated by something slightly less massive than the Atlantic ocean, we'd have a might fine game of 40k. Anyway, i fully agree with you, Tom. I have never placed an unpainted model on the table, even for a casual game. it just ruins the whole flavor. and i hate being beaten by and unpainted force even more. What a disgrace. I did put an unbased model into a game of mordheim the other day, but it was an accident, and i was very embarassed when i caught the mistake. i ran the guy out infront so he had to get shot first.

I don't quite agree with your estimates, however, Emlyn. The other day i sat down to paint a single glade rider for my woodeld army. standard rank and file light cav. I put down my brush 3 hours later and wondered where my day had gone, and it is still no where near heavy metal standard. It's real nice, to be sure, but i know it does not compare to anything a more serious or trained painter could do. My last hero took 12 hours.

While batch painting and table top standard might be within reach of your estimates, the forces that people like Tom and I field cannot realistically be completed in that amount of time. When I commit to buying a new army, i do not expect to play with it for at least a year.

My deathwing is a rare exception, it finished then in only 6 months, but the entire 1500 point army is only 22 terminators, a dread and an LRC, and i bought 90% of it prebuilt and primed.

Getting even a little paint on a model does a huge job, though. i am always amazed at how much better things look even once they have been primed, and more amazed when i see them just half done. I really respect and appreciate people who take the time to paint, even to a low standard. In the end, i spend much more time looking at my models on the shlef than i do playing with them. I'm glad that they look good just standing there.

Feel free to discuss this with me further if you agree or dissagree. though this thread didn't make sense from the get go (what is best? it's a matter of opinion, if we have interpreted the question correctly. And why in the SM forum?) We might as well try to salvage it.
Rapid Fire

Gets 'em every time

Bustafer Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2007, 23:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustafer Jones
Tom, how is it that i can always respect you? I'll wager that if we were seperated by something slightly less massive than the Atlantic ocean, we'd have a might fine game of 40k.
Don't you live in Cambridge, bud? Or is that another Cambridge in the US somewhere? If it's (the original and best) Cambridge in the Uk, then I could meet you in Games Workshop next time I take some time off work.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 01:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Y'know, I was gonna write up a mini-rant about how long it takes to paint and about how I've got a ridiculous amount of models to paint (i.e. 85 total), but I'm just gonna go paint.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
O Y Montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2007, 02:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abael
Y'know, I was gonna write up a mini-rant about how long it takes to paint and about how I've got a ridiculous amount of models to paint (i.e. 85 total), but I'm just gonna go paint.
Don't give up. PAINT!
Only then your life I will save
Luy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2007, 02:37   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Quote:
I hear ya... it takes me forever... heck it took me an hour just to paint the base color on my Seraphim! Dunno why I'm so slow.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2007, 08:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The All-father
Quote:
I hear ya... it takes me forever... heck it took me an hour just to paint the base color on my Seraphim! Dunno why I'm so slow.
Right there with you, buddy. Maybe we're perfectionists? Maybe other people are just more talented than us? But Emlyn's estimates are way out for me too.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 15:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sorry Tom, I'm in Cambridge Massachusetts, the second best. I need to get painting myself. The only thing that is pushing me to paint my Wood Elves is that i am using them as my Mordheim warband. I'm thinking that it is time i started trying some modeling though, which may very well just double the time it takes me to produce a single model. I miss the days when i didn't care/know better/ have people saying "Wow, those look great." I miss just batchpainting marines and calling it a day. But really, look at the money we spend on these things. The other day I bought a Termie Chaplain for like $15. If i spend 15 bucks on a model, i'm going to make it look nice. My goal is the make it worth more when i'm done than when i started. I can't understand how somone would just slap on some paint and call it a day. It is the equivalent of buying a Ferrari and then saying "Red's nice, but i like black better. Good thing I've got some old spray paint in the garage..."
Rapid Fire

Gets 'em every time

Bustafer Jones is offline   Reply With Quote