Warhammer 40K Forum

Space Marines Quiz #3 - Space Marine Vehicles
Closed Thread
Old 15 Jan 2007, 17:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Space Marines Quiz #3 - Space Marine Vehicles

[size=14pt]Space Marines Quiz #3 - Space Marine Vehicles[/size]

[size=12pt]Quiz Closed![/size]

Welcome brothers to the new quiz! You have all been waiting for this for quite some time now. I thought that I should start with a quiz first before starting to work on creating more tactica's for this board. I hope you will enjoy this one just like the first two.

The rules:

- You are only allowed to enter the quiz 1 time
- Don't discuss the answers with any other member
- Don't post any answers of the questions in this thread
- Please send me a Personal Message (PM) with the answers only, don't send me the questions.
- You are only allowed to give one answer to each of the questions. Only the first answer counts.
- The subject of the message must read: Quiz submission
- Answers should follow the corresponding number of each Question (eg, 1 - Answer, 2 - Answer, etc)
- Once you've submitted your Answers, you must post in this thread and quote a piece of Space Marines fluff (short)!
- The quiz will run for a very limited time, so send in your answers quickly to avoid disappointment.
- My decision is final, I don't discuss the answers.

>>Submit your answers here<<

After the quiz is closed I will see how many questions need to be answered correctly to collect the prize.

The prize = +1 Karma

[hr]

[size=12pt]The Questions:[/size]

1 - What does STC stand for? And what is it?
A Standard Template Construct (STC) system allowed the very efficient creation of technological designs. Introduced before the Age of Strife, an STC allowed workers to build anything from a sock to a tank to a dwelling. Examples of STC technology still in use are the Rhino Armoured Personnel Carrier and the Land Raider.

2 - Who is the oldest Dreadnought in the Imperium?
Bjorn the Fell-Handed. He is the oldest Dreadnought in the Imperium and was a member of Leman Russ' retinue and fought in the Horus Heresy when he was still whole of body.

3 - How many links on a Land Raider separate the special Aquila track links? And what do they stand for?
Twelve; The Aquila is the Emperor and the other twelve represent the High Lords of Terra.

4 - Name three other Dreadnought variants. And what is the main difference then the normal Dreadnought? You should name at least one major difference for each other variant.
Hellfire replaces the Powerfist with a missile launcher giving up close combat ability for long range ability. The advantage of the Dreadnought's missile launcher over its Space Marine equivalent (which can only be fired when the marine stays still and brace himself) is that the former can run at full speed whilst still laying down a barrage of missiles. Officially, Hellfire Dreadnoughts are usually referred to as Fire Suppourt Dreadnoughts.
The Siege Dreadnought is designed exclusively for assaults against fortified positions. Its Inferno Cannon will devastate any infantry caught in the open, while its close combat weapon is modified with rock drills and an internal Heavy Flamer, allowing it to burrow through the walls of a bunker and roast anything inside in a single action.
The Furioso was designed by the Blood Angels and their successors. It gives up the ranged heavy weapon for another Dreadnought power fist. This allows them to literally "tear apart" enemy vehicles when in melee combat. It is the antithesis of the Hellfire in this respect.
The Mortis is almost exclusively used by the Dark Angels chapter and mounts two ranged weapons. Unlike the Hellfire variant, the Mortis has a considerably wider weapons selection, as the left arm strongpoint is not restricted to a missile launcher. It commonly mounts a pair of the same ranged weapon, commonly twin-linked Autocannons or Lascannons.

5 - How many power armoured Space Marines can a Thunderhawk gunship carry?
30 Marines

6 - What is the cross-country speed of a Predator tank?
50 Kph

7 - Which tank used by the Imperial Guard is also used by the Space wolves?
Leman Russ Exterminator

8 - How many engines does a standard Thunderhawk have?
The standard Thunderhawk Gunship has three engines

9 - Why don’t the Chaos Space Marines use Whirwinds and Razorbacks?
They both are a post-Heresy design and are therefore not used by Chaos Space Marines.

10 - Name three other Land Raider variants. And what is the main difference then the normal Land Raider? You should name at least one major difference for each other variant.
Land Raider Crusader; geared towards transporting more troops, the Land Raider Crusader's main differences from the original Land Raider lie in its weapons loadout.
Land Raider Prometheus; The Prometheus was developed specifically as a command tank. The original Land Raider's lascannon sponsons have been replaced with two pairs of twin-linked heavy bolters each and the hull-mounted heavy bolters have been replaced with special communications and sensor equipment. This variant is supposedly used by Space Marine commanders as their mobile base of operations as its heavy armor can withstand the most hard-hitting attacks.
Land Raider Helios; the Helios replaces some of the standard Land Raider's existing weaponry with a more specialized loadout. The Helios mounts a Whirlwind missile launcher in place of the twin-linked heavy bolters. The background for the tank states that the Helios was designed by the Red Scorpions Space Marine chapter to supplement their existing artillery during the Siege of Helios. Purportedly, the extra space required for storing the whirlwind launcher's missiles reduced the transport capability of the vehicle.

11 - What is the Damocles Command Rhino? What is it upgraded with?
A command vehicle, The Damocles is essentially a Rhino upgraded with a communications suite and a teleport homer

12 - What is the maximum airspeed of a standard Land Speeder?
350 kph.

13 - What is the Vindicator used for? Fluff wise.
The Space Marine Vindicator is an armoured, short-ranged siege tank. Used to breaking through fortifications and walls.

14 - What are the two vehicles commonly used by Space Marines to conduct planetary assaults?
Thunderhawks and Drop pods

15 - What is the fully laden weight of a standard Land Raider?
81 tonnes fully laden and 72 unladen. So, 81 is the right answer.

16 - A Space Marine squad disembarks from a Rhino that has moved less than 6’’ Can they launch an assault?
No. Models that disembark from a non-open-topped vehicle that moved (exception: Land Raider) may not assault that turn.

Good luck, you're gonna need it... :funny:

[size=14pt]Hall of Fame:[/size]

Abael
Malveaux
Vash113
Tom Norman
King Winter
Arguleon-veq

Vash113 got all the questions right!
Old 15 Jan 2007, 20:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Space Marines Quiz #3 - Space Marine Vehicles

"The deployment of heavy armour by Space Marine Chapters is always for a specific mission or role. Tanks are not used for general advances, operations to seize or hold ground or for prolonged siege warfare."

Nice quiz Stam, as usual.
A couple seemed a little vague to me, by we'll see how it turns out.

Cheers!
Old 15 Jan 2007, 20:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Mage001 Send a message via MSN to Mage001

"They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give of themselves to me."

Interesting quiz. I think I need to read up on Space Marine fluff. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan
I'd like to call it... "Fair", I mean, she has boobs, how'd we compete?
Old 15 Jan 2007, 21:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

"Pain and death are illusions of the weak mind. While his gene-seed returns to the Chapter, a Marine cannot die. Without death, pain loses its relevance."

Nice quize Stam, that gave me something to do this afternoon.

Old 15 Jan 2007, 21:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

"The combat task of a Space Marine armoured unit is to deliver the decisive blow to an enemy at the critical point. It is deployed to break an enemy defensive system and in close co-ordination with other arms, to destroy the most dangerous hostile units."

Great quiz Stam...I find it rather alarming that I remember the Land Raider's weight. What an obscure fact...now why can't I remember birthdays?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 11:39   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Life is the Emperor's currency, spend it well

Nice quiz, even though it is the first one that I have participated in...
Old 16 Jan 2007, 15:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

The most dangerous thing on the battlefield is a Junior Officer with a compass and a map.

Great quiz. Quite challenging.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 16:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

''Give me a hundred Space Marines. Or failing that give me a thousand other troops.''

- Rogal Dorn

Great Quiz Stam. I bet I got the easiest questions wrong though.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 17:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

They are my Space Marines; and they shall know no fear ]

Nice quiz Stam. Very difficult. I doubt I got many answers correct. Oh well :-\
That's what the new Space Marine codex relates to. Grilled puppies.

Thanks to JD for the awesome siggy
Old 16 Jan 2007, 20:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks a lot for your appreciation!

I will post the answers and the hall of fame within 12 hours from now. I also still need to decide on how many questions I allow to be wrong.

Abael, could you post here in this thread and qoute a piece of Space Marine fluff just like the other entrants.
Closed Thread