Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

assault marines without jump packs
View Poll Results: have you ever used your assault marines without their jump packs?
yes 5 16.13%
no 26 83.87%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 17 Dec 2006, 01:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default assault marines without jump packs

I ask this because i had the idea of using magnets on the assault marines back to allow this.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 01:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: assault marines without jump packs

I've never done it. And I'm not planning on doing it, either.

There's only one time that dictates the usage of Assault Marines without Jump Packs. That's when you're going for an insanely static based Space Marine army, and you want it as cheap, points wise, as you can get it. That'd mean as many basic Space Marines as you can get; 1x full Command Squad with HQ, 3x full Veteran squads for Elites, 4x full Space Marine squads for Troops, 3x full squads of Assault Marines without Jump Packs for Fast Attack, and 3x full squads of Devastator Marines with Bolters for Heavy Support. Total of 126 Space Marines. Maximum when following the Force Organization Chart.

Otherwise, and in general, Assault Marines are meant for speedy attacks. Something that Assault Marines without Jump Packs cannot manage.

It'd be a pretty fun modelling project to work on, though. :P
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 02:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

As far as I can tell, you can still have 2 more troops and another Command squad there for a total of 170 marines (176 if you include all 3 HQs in both squads), and you don't even need to pay the points for an HQ because the Command squads count as the HQ choices...

But anyway, the only reasons I can see to not use the Jump Packs is:
A) Stapped for points
B) Need the plasma pistols/flamers/melta bombs
C) Pistol and CC weapon...

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 17 Dec 2006, 06:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

I've done it. Through the 3rd edition codex, I needed a unit that I could use for combat but which was cheaper than veterans. I was against marines, so the plasma came in handy, and I attached a hideously expensive commander and chucked them out of a Land Raider at something (3rd ed remember).

Old 17 Dec 2006, 13:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

There doesn't seem to be much use for a footslogging assault marine squad as far as I can see; not when you've got Veteran and Command squads with similar options.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 18:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

They used to be subtly different, veterans and or command squad (one or the other) couldn't take close combat weapons, and I was after a cheaper alternative with plasma pistols. These days I wouldn't bother taking them.

Old 18 Dec 2006, 03:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

I could see it if you had either an army with a large firebase that needed cheap CC counterattack (and didn't have the traits), or you wanted an extra squad and you had all 6 troop slots filled with 6 man lascannon-plasma squads.

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Old 18 Dec 2006, 03:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Personally I would never use them with the new codex. The Trait system allows you to give your tactical squads BP and CCW for free, and there are some *cough* lots *cough* of disadvantages that don't really weaken your force at all.

This would free up room for other things, and won't take up valuabe land speeder slots.

Snow
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 04:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

The really big problem I see with Assault marines without the jump packs is that they never allowed for an option for them to have transports. As a result even though they are equiped for close combat, they have to slog thier way forward to the enemy. They don't get the deepstrike option if they are without jump packs and there is no trait that let's them get closer. It might be fine if you want to go for a theme that has your marines in massive amounts of foot slogging close combat troops, or maybe city fight, but that's about it.

Long and short, better to just keep the jump packs on. :-\
Old 18 Dec 2006, 14:46   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Then again, if you want a foot slogging combat army, you could just "Take the fight to them" but then your limited to 60 marines (troops), which isn't much since their foot slogging armies tend to require more models then shooty ones .
Closed Thread