Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Bike Armies... viable?
Closed Thread
Old 16 Dec 2006, 05:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Bike Armies... viable?

i was lookin thorugh an old index astartes article about the White Scars and i found myself thinking about a white scars bike army. i think it would be really difficult to field, with so few models. so, is an all - bike army workable?

EDIT: i also posted a trial 1250 list under army lists.

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
Old 16 Dec 2006, 06:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Bike Armies... viable?

you may not get many models but you get more manoevourability than a transport for fewer points. The problem comes when you have a command squad because they can't be given bikes.

Of course I haven't read this WD article for any rules but you could use the white scars traits from the codex.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 12:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omeganus
you may not get many models but you get more manoevourability than a transport for fewer points. The problem comes when you have a command squad because they can't be given bikes.

Of course I haven't read this WD article for any rules but you could use the white scars traits from the codex.
*starts whistling* Ravenwing are getting a command squad option *still whistling*
Old 16 Dec 2006, 13:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you really want to take them, you could always mount a command squad on a Rhino so it can keep pace.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 14:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

ohh... i went with independant character on bike, is that not good?

Old 16 Dec 2006, 14:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

It just means he can't havve a command squad, you can however attach him to a bike/attack bike/scout bike squadron.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 14:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailTheRuss
i think it would be really difficult to field, with so few models.
If you focus most of your points on static units, which is actually very easy to do in a White Scars army due to their "Flesh Over Steel" drawback, your White Scars actually won't have too few of models, as long as you keep the Bikes basic. This means little to no Special Weapons on your Troop Bikes, it'll end up costing you a lot more points than you want.

Quote:
is an all - bike army workable?
Any all Bike army is workable. Really. That's why they're there. If you have the option of taking something onto the field of battle, it's going to have to have a way to win with it, no matter what, or else it wouldn't exist in the first place. It's just how you work that all Bike army of yours that gets you far in Warhamer 40,000.

Bikes themselves are pretty expensive for a Troops choice, but they're also insanely fast, and good in close combat with their high attack characteristics, and toughness. If you have your whole army equipped to carry them into battle just right, they're perfectly fine, and can be fielded well. If you don't have everything right you'll die shamefully.

Quote:
Not bad at all. Like already stated by Omeganus, it just means he can't have a Command Squad. So he's independent from the start of battle. Independent Characters are independent for a reason, though. They're powerful enough to count as a full squad of normal Troops. They don't HAVE to have a retinue. It helps in certain situations, but it's not always necessary. If you really want to get him in a squad of other Bikers, just join him to a squad of Bikes after the game starts.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 15:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
Quote:
Not bad at all. Like already stated by Omeganus, it just means he can't have a Command Squad. So he's independent from the start of battle. Independent Characters are independent for a reason, though. They're powerful enough to count as a full squad of normal Troops. They don't HAVE to have a retinue. It helps in certain situations, but it's not always necessary. If you really want to get him in a squad of other Bikers, just join him to a squad of Bikes after the game starts.
You want to be aware of instant death weapons though if you've no plans for him to join a squad. You could buy an adamantine mantle for him (although it'd be a bit wierd on a biker), but otherwise you'll have to ensure he's not the closest target to any strength 8+ weapons.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 15:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Yea the raise in toughness doesn't prevent instant death.

But all bike armies do work. The Dark Angels have the ravenwing and all. Bikes can be expencive but they certainly are not as expencive as some other armies. Like Deathwing for instance, Raven Guard also has a high cost per model. Your troops won't be the cheapest around but they also are not the most expencive and they do have speed and toughness on their side.

Old 16 Dec 2006, 17:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

man its a shame i cant use the index astartes rules.. they make white scars so much sweeter! hit and run with extra attacks from extra ccw would make them much meaner assault units...

i hear the dark angels are gettin new rules soon.. think thatll include their fast bike army? ( i cant remember what its called... Ravenwing?)

Closed Thread