Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Marine Strike force good or bad?
Closed Thread
Old 15 Dec 2006, 17:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Marine Strike force good or bad?

Would an army of marines entirely mounted in drop pods be affected. Obviously your opponenent gets at least one move before you get a look in but it is fluffy, you could say that you are making aplanetary assault.

So what does the communtiy of Tauonline think of this idea?

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 17:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Marine Strike force good or bad?

I assume you mean 'effective'. And yeah, depending upon the opposing army, it's often horrifying to behold. All those Power armoured marines dismounting within melta range of your vehicles...drop pods chopping up your line of sight all over the place.

A massive drop pod assault immediately gives the marine player the advantage in terms of deployment, and being everywhere simultanously will generally leave the opponent without cover.

It only really works against shooty armies though...if you try it against the likes of Tyranid's (especially Genestealers), you'll be torn to shreds in moments.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 18:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Sounds great. And extremely well thought of, fluff-wise.
Made me think of the "Speartip" with Abbadon and his Lunar Wolves. When they were still loyal that is...
Go for it.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 19:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I wouldn't be able to use it for ages, all those drop pods cost more money than I have.

Tom yes I did mean effective.

I have a list:

HQ

Captain: 101 points
plasma pistol, lightning claw and frag grenades.

Command Squad (attatched to captain): 129 points
sergeant and 8 marines all with bolt pistols and close combat weapons and frag grenades.

Elites

Dreadnought: 135 points
Assault cannon, dreadnought close combat weapon, storm bolter and drop pod.

Dreadnought: 135 points
Assault cannon, dreadnought close combat weapon, storm bolter and drop pod.

Troops

Marine Squad: 180 points
9 marines, sergeant all with bolt pistols and close combat weapons and drop pod.

Marine Squad: 180 points
9 marines, sergeant all with bolt pistols and close combat weapons and drop pod.

Marine Squad: 110 points
4 marines, sergeant all with bolt pistols, close combat weapons, frag grenades and drop pod.

Total: 1000 points

I know this should be in marine army lists but it follows on from the original post. Anyway would this army list work do you think?

This is for a chapter with take the fight to them, never despair, aspire to glory and have pride in your colours. This is because Paratroopers (these are the marine equivalent) tend to be very brave to the point of suicide (E.G. Operation Market Garden) the need for close combat, the lack of need for scouts and the difficulty of using vehicles in a strike force. Also the advantages are needed to make it successful, especially never despair which makes up for the free move your opponent gets. Alternatively you can remove the frag grenades from the tactical squad and give the tactical squad bolters leaving you five points to spend on HQ, melta bombs/purity seals/bionics.

This totals to Ł438 using assault marines with ordinary backpacks for the marines.

Old 15 Dec 2006, 19:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'd advise against all those close combat weapons and bolt pistols; you won't be able to charge immediately upon deployment so you're going to need some firepower. I would recommend the traits 'Cleanse and purify' to get two special weapons, and 'Trust your battle brothers' so you're not penalised if you get charged upon deployment.

Meltaguns will give you some AT power if you land next to an enemy vehicle. Flamers are handy against swarm armies in the same capacity. Plasmaguns are probably the best choice though because they'll give you some much needed dakka upon deployment and they've got the range to establish a criss-crossing net of fire from which no vehicle is safe (this works best with 4+ podding tac squads). Heavy Flamers might be an idea for the Dreadnoughts too, drop pods will get them close really quickly.

You'll need to knock a couple marines off each squad to harvest the points you'll need to arm yourself properly, but it should work out pretty well.

You've gotta remember it's a bit of a hit or miss army though. If your reserves arrive at a trickle, you'll have men on the ground exposed to the full weight of the enemy firepower, and not even Terminators can expect to survive that.

It's fluffy, and it's what Marines are built to do, but it can be quite a bit of a gamble.

[hr]

P.S. - Bear in mind, there are some substitutes out there you can use instead of official drop pods. I got mine from The CNC workshop.

When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 19:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Well.
There are rumors about, that there will be a official Drop Pod model to arrive in the coming year...
Old 15 Dec 2006, 20:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

by an official one you mean a non forgeworld right, if so I hope its cheaper than 35 quid, I might actually be able to use this list then.

Norman this is just a basic idea, I went with a more, we count as moving first turn so might as well be better at combat and rip them to shreds next turn hopefully idea but the list can be tweeked, it is a rough skeleton after all.

Old 15 Dec 2006, 20:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Drop pod armies are fairly common, and there's a few traits that lend themselves quite well to this "Death-from-above" style of attack.

As Tom already mentioned Both Cleanse and Purify and Trust your Battle brothers work very well for drop pods.

Another option in larger games would be the Heed the wisdom of the Ancients trait, allowing you to (literally) drop six dreadnoughts onto the table.

The Purity above all
trait could also prove handy if you drop several squads close together so you have overlapping apothecary coverage, to prevent expensive squads from being focused on. This could work quite well with Terminators.

Finally a "Drop boo" librarian can be a real asset against many armies. Esentially this is just a librarian with the Fear of the Darkness psychic power. Land him in the middle of the enemy army and watch it scatter.

One last tactic is the "Bargain-bolter-bomb" This would just be 10 scouts with bolters in a drop pod. Nice and cheap and it shoots just as well as 10 marines when it lands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 23:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Drop pod armies are fairly common, and there's a few traits that lend themselves quite well to this "Death-from-above" style of attack.

As Tom already mentioned Both Cleanse and Purify and Trust your Battle brothers work very well for drop pods.

Another option in larger games would be the Heed the wisdom of the Ancients trait, allowing you to (literally) drop six dreadnoughts onto the table.

The Purity above all
trait could also prove handy if you drop several squads close together so you have overlapping apothecary coverage, to prevent expensive squads from being focused on. This could work quite well with Terminators.

Finally a "Drop boo" librarian can be a real asset against many armies. Esentially this is just a librarian with the Fear of the Darkness psychic power. Land him in the middle of the enemy army and watch it scatter.

One last tactic is the "Bargain-bolter-bomb" This would just be 10 scouts with bolters in a drop pod. Nice and cheap and it shoots just as well as 10 marines when it lands!
I agree with everything Falstead just said, everything that is except the notion of dropping scouts because they're cheaper. Sorry, bud...but with the number of AP4 weapons out there, I think that 3+ save is worth far more than 2 points per model! I think the number of shooting casualties you'd receive from enemy fire upon touchdown would very quickly outweigh the number of extra Bolter-toting superheroes you had on the ground. I hadn't considered the 'Purity above all' trait however and if you're adament about taking close combat weapons instead of shooty death (mistake by the way...can't stress this enough) then Apothecaries may serve you well when the metal starts flying.

You really need to think about how your opponent is going to react to your delpoyment here, bud. It's not enough to plan what you're going to do; you need to anticipate what he'll do. When a pod touches down nearby and ten angry marines emerge revving chainswords, do you think he'll stand there for a whole turn waiting politely for you to charge? If he's more than six inches away he has the option of merely withdrawing and pouring fire into you from more distant units, leaving you stranded with limited firepower and no one to charge. If he's closer than six inches, he's going to assault you and neutralise your charge bonus, robbing you of your advantage. If you take marines with bolters and true grit, you are not penalised should he charge you first, and you'll have twice the dakka at your disposal at the cost of some close combat killiness.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 03:46   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

All I have to say for an extreamly evil trait to take for Drop Pod armies... True Grit.
Closed Thread