Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Space Marine Implants.
Closed Thread
Old 15 Dec 2006, 14:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ferrox
Default Space Marine Implants.

Just some information for people about Sm Implants.

Gene-seed Implants

Since the first founding, Space Marines chapters have lost the ability to make new implants, or otherwise do not have all 19 implants available to their chapter. All chapters are different in this respect, but the "purest" chapters in this respect are the Grey Knights and Ultramarines. However, all chapters have the Black Carapace, as this is necessary for a marine to use his armour.

The Implantation of new gene-seed organs has over the centuries turned into a near-religious ritual, and therefore some of the organs have lost their meaning to the implanter, and because of this and the implantation turning into a ritual instead of an operation, some Marines will need surgery after the implant to fix imbalance as a result of poor surgery.

Certain implants are used as plot devices, such as the use of the Sus-an Membrane in one of the Warhammer 40,000 novels by the publishing arm of Games Workshop. Used by a main character to enter suspended animation, it allowed him to survive in deep space for thousands of years, thereby tying the past to the present in the novel. Similarly, the Omophagea is used in another novel, concerning the Soul Drinkers, when a main character absorbs some of the memories of a fallen combatant, after consuming his brain matter.

Secondary Heart

This is the first and least difficult implant to install. The Secondary Heart increases blood supply and pumping capacity, is capable of taking over entirely should the primary heart fail, and enables Marines to survive low-oxygen conditions and traumatic injury.

Ossmudula

This implant uses specially created hormones, combined with a diet high in ceramic-based chemicals, to considerably strengthen the skeleton of a Space Marine. Two years after the implantation, the Marine's skeleton will be exponentially stronger; and the rib cage will be fused into a solid mass of interlaced bone plates.

Biscopea

Implanted into the chest cavity, this small, spherical implant bolsters muscle growth throughout the Marine's body.

Haemastamen

Implanted into a main blood vessel, the Haemastamen alters the Marine's blood composition to carry oxygen and nutrients more efficiently. It also acts as a growth control for many of the later implants.

Larraman's Organ

This organ manufactures Larraman Cells. These serve the purpose of platelets, but act faster and more effectively. When a Marine is wounded, Larraman Cells are released, attached to leukocytes. At the site of the injury, they form a skin substitute of near-instant scar tissue, effectively preventing massive blood loss and infection.

Catalepsean Node

Implanted into the back of the brain, this implant allows a marine to function in situations where sleep is impossible to safely attain. Instead, when deprived of sleep, the Catalepsean Node, 'cuts in', allowing the Marine to 'switch off' sections of the brain sequentially, while remaining awake and alert (although prolonged use can be hazardous). The longest any Space Marine has ever been on active combat duty without rest is 328.7 hours, achieved by a squad of the Crimson Fists. This implant bears a resemblance to a theory as to how dolphins such as the Bottlenose "sleep": shutting off sections of their brain while remaining awake and alert under the functions of the other sections.

Preomnor

The Preomnor is a decontamination chamber inside the chest cavity, effectively a 'pre-stomach'. It chemically analyses ingested materials and neutralizes toxins. The Preomnor enables the Marine to eat normally inedible substances and resist poisons.

Omophagea

Implanted into the spinal cord, this organ is designed to absorb DNA related to experience or memory. This enables the Marine to gain information, in a survival or tactical sense, simply by eating an animal indigenous to an alien world or situation. The Marine can actually absorb vivid memories and information from a human being by eating their brains. This organ may also have led to the various flesh-eating or blood drinking rituals performed by some chapters, notably the Blood Angels and their successors.

Multi-lung

The multi-lung is a 'third' lung, able to absorb oxygen from environments poor in oxygen. Breathing is accomplished through a sphincter in the trachea. A similar muscle closes the primary lungs off in toxic environments, while oxygen is absorbed by filtering out the poisonous elements in the multi-lung.

Occulobe

Essentially, this organ allows technicians to enhance a Marine's eyesight, granting him exceptional vision and the ability to see normally in low-light environment.

Lyman's Ear

This implant renders a Marine immune to dizziness and nausea (see Cochlea), and enables a Marine to consciously filter out "white noise".

Sus-an Membrane

This implant allows a Marine to enter a catatonic or "suspended animation" state. It can allow a mortally wounded Space Marine to survive his injuries, and bring the metabolism to a standstill. However, specific stimulations from an external source are required to bring a suspended Space Marine back to full life. The longest recorded period of this state was Brother Silas Err of the Dark Angels for 567 years. It should be noted that Talonmaster Zso Sahaal of the Night Lords legion slept through 100 centuries after his cruiser was entombed in the Warp by the Eldar shortly after the Horus Heresy, only to be awoken late in the 41st millennium.

Melanochrome

Linked to pigment cells in skin, this allows the Marine's skin to shield him from dangerous levels of radiation and extreme temperatures along with the Mucranoid. Because of its link to pigment some chapters have no variation in skin color.

Oolitic Kidney

This organ works in conjunction with the Preomnor, filtering blood to rapidly remove toxins.

Neuroglottis

This organ allows a Marine to assess a wide variety of things simply by taste. From poisons to chemicals to animals, a Marine can even track his quarry by taste alone.

Mucranoid

Altering sweat glands, this organ secretes an oily substance that coats the skin, protecting it from extreme temperatures and to some extent vacuum environments.

Betcher's Gland

Implanted into multiple locations inside a Marine's mouth, these glands transform a Marine's saliva into corrosive, blinding acid, strong enough to work through iron bars. It is generally accepted that the Marines have a coating of some kind inside their mouth, to prevent their own tissue from being burnt by this acid. The Imperial Fists and its successor Chapters are deficient in this implant.

Progenoid Glands

Implanted into both the neck and chest cavity, these serve to collect and cultivate the gene-seed from a Space Marine's body, and to safeguard it for the continuity of a Chapter. The neck gland matures after 5 years, while the chest gland matures after 10 years and both glands can be removed either after maturation or immediately after a marine has died in battle. The Progenoid Gland is one of the most important organs for a chapter (alongside the Black Carapace), for if a chapter were to lose the Progenoid there would be no more Space Marines.

The Black Carapace

The last and possibly one of the most important of all implants, this neuroreactive material is implanted directly under the skin. After a few hours, the material hardens and interlinks with the Marine's own nervous system. Points are then cut into the Carapace which allows a Marine to directly interface with his Power Armour.

1st Karma 4:07:51 AM

[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=43531.0]

Old 16 Dec 2006, 04:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Space Marine Implants.

Very cool post. I can't believe noone else has commented on it yet! It looks like this took some time to write up. I have to say I'm familiar with alot of the enhancements but some of these I had never heard of. Great job, I'd give ya karma if I could.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 04:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Ok but all this info is on the Games Workshop site. A nice write up and summary but Im wondering what the purpose was. Then again I dont know how many people actually read the stuff on GW's site.

The GW page on creating space marines and the implants is found here. Its a good read for those interested.

Old 16 Dec 2006, 06:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The purpose was for the people who love the in depth knowledge and for the people newer to the game to gain some inside information on the space marines.

Old 16 Dec 2006, 08:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Exactly, I don't go through the GW website cause it has a horrible set up. I've known space marine fluff since 1996 and I haven't read some of these things. It's a good post and should be read and appreciated my more people than me. 8) I'm drunk now, the end.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 11:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by the execution of all things
Exactly, I don't go through the GW website cause it has a horrible set up. I've known space marine fluff since 1996 and I haven't read some of these things.
Too true. Wikipedia has about ten times more GW fluff than the GW site itself. No wait, more like twenty times. Bow before the might of Wikipedia.

My Space Marine project log
Old 16 Dec 2006, 15:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Yea but Wikipedia cannot always be trusted and the fluff is not always entirely accurate on Wikipedia. The GW site may not be good but I really suggest people read it more often, there are plenty of articles that can be dug up on the GW site.

For instance many Tau and marine articles are there to be read, stuff on the cursed founding, a history bit on the Land Raider for starters. There is not a ton of stuff but theres enough to justify reading whats there at least once.

Old 18 Dec 2006, 03:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to The_Greater_Good

Quote:
Great job, I'd give ya karma if I could.
But isn't plagiarism generally frowned upon? He took this word for word from Wikipedia.

Edit: Seen here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Yea but Wikipedia cannot always be trusted and the fluff is not always entirely accurate on Wikipedia.
I know the guy who writes most of the fluff for Wikipedia, trust me, he is a fluff God.

If you need help with a Tau army list, go ahead and pm me, always willing to help.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 09:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Greater_Good
Quote:
Great job, I'd give ya karma if I could.
But isn't plagiarism generally frowned upon? He took this word for word from Wikipedia.
I thought that was only if you claimed it as your own work, and there is nothing I have written claiming it is mine.

Old 18 Dec 2006, 09:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrox
I thought that was only if you claimed it as your own work, and there is nothing I have written claiming it is mine.
You should have made it more obvious that you didn't write the text. I had my doubts about it and went looking and quickly found the Wikipedia text. It's perfectly fine to show it to inform people, but next time please include a link or mention it more clearly that the text is not yours. And since this text is not yours, karma will not be awarded...
Closed Thread