Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deploying troops via Thunderhawk
Closed Thread
Old 07 Dec 2006, 20:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Deploying troops via Thunderhawk

I can't figure out the rules for loading troops into a Thunderhawk. You've got to take the gunship as a seperate detachment and it can't be selected as a transport like you can for other vehicles, so how do you put troops on it before it arrives on the battlefield? I'd like to deploy troops via Thunderhawk (in the future...possibly) but wouldn't it be cheating to allow all those troops to arrive with the Thunderhawk?

Without the capacity to load troops before deploying from reserves, it's nothing more than a flying death machine and/or rescue boat. ???
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 07 Dec 2006, 20:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Deploying troops via Thunderhawk

Does the entry in IA even say it can be used as a transport? I would go with the notion that it picks troops off the field and brings them elsewhere... If I understand correctly, you roll for air support 2nd turn and once you get it, you've got it, right? so, you pick them up on the first run and bring them somewhere else the second... kinda like deepstriking only a lot more reliable (kinda)...

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 07 Dec 2006, 21:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminatus
Does the entry in IA even say it can be used as a transport? I would go with the notion that it picks troops off the field and brings them elsewhere... If I understand correctly, you roll for air support 2nd turn and once you get it, you've got it, right? so, you pick them up on the first run and bring them somewhere else the second... kinda like deepstriking only a lot more reliable (kinda)...
With the current orbital lander rules you troops wouldn't be able to board the Thunderhawk until turn three and then they couldn't be redeployed until turn six (enemy turn five)! And that's assuming your make your reserves and 'Second strike' rolls. There must be a way to deploy troops via Thunderhawk as soon as it arrives...
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 08 Dec 2006, 00:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Some people use the deep strike rule, it just seems the easiest.
Old 08 Dec 2006, 01:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Can't you simply just start them in the thunderhawk as you would start a unit in a Land Raider or other non-dedicated transport? The only rulesy tight spot I can see is embarking multiple units on it, but frankly if people are letting you use a thunderhawk in a game then they probably aren't going to be sticky about making a few rulesy exceptions so that you can use it the way it was intended. Lets face it, Super Heavies aren't really intended for competitive gaming and thus RAW-freaks probably wouldn't be present (at least hopefully)
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 08 Dec 2006, 06:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Can't you simply just start them in the thunderhawk as you would start a unit in a Land Raider or other non-dedicated transport? The only rulesy tight spot I can see is embarking multiple units on it, but frankly if people are letting you use a thunderhawk in a game then they probably aren't going to be sticky about making a few rulesy exceptions so that you can use it the way it was intended. Lets face it, Super Heavies aren't really intended for competitive gaming and thus RAW-freaks probably wouldn't be present (at least hopefully)
So you reckon I should role for every unit on the Thunderhawk to see if they can be deployed simultaneously? It wouldn't make much sense if some units that were supposed to on board arrived seperately from a table edge; it'd be like they fell out of the Thunderhawk on the way in! ;D

Well, I suppose that's the only way to do it, so thanks!
Old 08 Dec 2006, 09:02   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

You treat it like a suped up version of a rhino... that flies. Your troops begin in the hawk, and then when it arrives use the orbital lander rules to deploy. Same with my orca - the troops begin in board.

It would be like saying a rhino unit can't start in their rhino, they have to embark in their first turn.

At least thats what common sense says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 08 Dec 2006, 13:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Actually I meant doing something more like thor just said. Basically if people are allowing you to have the thunderhawk in a game, they probably wouldn't have too much trouble with multiple units being aboard at the start of the game and disembarking when it lands.
Quote:
Old 08 Dec 2006, 14:25   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I thought that was the whole point of the thunderhawk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 08 Dec 2006, 15:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Indeed. I just figured Norman might be worried about people not allowing such an unconventional unit some leway ruleswise in order for it to work the way it was intended
Quote:
Closed Thread