Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

wierd but still wierd (but true)
Closed Thread
Old 03 Dec 2006, 16:40   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default wierd but still wierd (but true)

Ive noticed that the space marines have weird peeps like chaplains to fight their battles. they got chaplains, librarians, you think they actually blessed and read ??? he he next thing you know their putting gardeners as pilots and bakers as err cannon fodders :P
Old 03 Dec 2006, 16:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: wierd but still wierd (but true)

Librarians are just psykers. I imagine someone figured out that being able to make someone's head explode with a thought would be useful in battle.

As for Chaplains. Armies have commonly had chaplains in them. The 40k ones are just rather fanatical. However there have probably been the same kinda zealous holy warrior types in history

Plus gardeners would be very useful if you were fighting a race of plant men. Preffered enemy vs space ents anyone?
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 03 Dec 2006, 16:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Yes, does seem a little odd doesn't it/

There is some reason why they are called what they are. Chaplains are such because they are, well, priests and spiritual leaders of thier chapter. They are still Space marines though so they do fight on the field of battle like all others. Besides, to the Space Marine world view, striking down the enemies of Mankind is the most holy task they can prefrom. Any wonder then that their spiritual leaders lead them in this?

The Librarians are a bit more round about. In addition to being Pykers they also tend to the archives and such of the Chapter off the feild. I guess being Pychic means they have more of an interest in the brainier aspects of running a chapter. Still, as with Chaplains they are Marines, probably the most rigidly trained ones and so they do go into battle.
Old 03 Dec 2006, 17:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritbw
Yes, does seem a little odd doesn't it/

There is some reason why they are called what they are. Chaplains are such because they are, well, priests and spiritual leaders of thier chapter. They are still Space marines though so they do fight on the field of battle like all others. Besides, to the Space Marine world view, striking down the enemies of Mankind is the most holy task they can prefrom. Any wonder then that their spiritual leaders lead them in this?

The Librarians are a bit more round about. In addition to being Pykers they also tend to the archives and such of the Chapter off the feild. I guess being Pychic means they have more of an interest in the brainier aspects of running a chapter. Still, as with Chaplains they are Marines, probably the most rigidly trained ones and so they do go into battle.
You don't see many Space Marine chefs on the battlefield because very few ever make it out of the kitchen alive after lunch - Most dangerous job in the Imperium. But those that do make it out...Good God, with a big enough cleaver they could give the Avatar of Khaine a run for his money!
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 03 Dec 2006, 19:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, the SM are somewhat based on the cap troops from the book Starship Troopers, and that book's where the phrase, "everyone fights" comes from. I suspect Librarians are called so because it's more mystical
Old 03 Dec 2006, 19:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcomrade
Well, the SM are somewhat based on the cap troops from the book Starship Troopers, and that book's where the phrase, "everyone fights" comes from. I suspect Librarians are called so because it's more mystical
I understand the vague association between librarians and mysticism (what with all the books and Harry Potter-esque wizardry) although it is a loose association at best, but where is the phrase 'Everyone fights' in 40k fluff? :huh:

*Scratches head*
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 03 Dec 2006, 22:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Librarians are cool with me 8). I mean it's not every day you can force a man to the very brink of death and retreive a psyker. Besides, who wants a psyker that can kill you with a single thought like, I wonder why my power armor smells or I think I left my muffins in the oven. Kaboom!

Chaplains have been around all history. Basically they are preists who are sent to the battlefields to spur warriors on with religous rights. It's only in the the 41st millenium that they grew the genetic balls to pick up a weapon and smack an alien around. They are extremely zealous in their right as well. They are right up there on the "Scale of the Emporer's Favorite Homies."

Anyone goes to war. It just depends on how willing you where to join. If you where drafted the your more of a 1. If you wanted to go into war then they enlist you with your permission, 10. 10-13 year olds are drafted in to be a space marine and most of the time they die! Anyone is capable of killing anything.

Yes, a gardner marine will plant the seeds of war in the ground and summon...a beaver to attack the vicious space ents.

P.S: Inquisitors rate as a 9 for the "Scale of the Emporer's Favorite Homies. 'Nuff said.

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Old 03 Dec 2006, 22:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Well, one of the reasons you probably don't see anything other than Librarians, chaplains, apothacaries(medic) and Tech-marines(mechanics) fighting is most jobs like Gardener, Chef and the like aren't done by servants of the chapter, not marines directly. Those jobs don't exactly need alot of knowledge of the chapter to do either.
Closed Thread