Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dark angel conversion
Closed Thread
Old 30 Nov 2006, 20:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Dark angel conversion

Hi, I'm back! Anyways I have mentionned in the past to having a small space marine force consisting of close combat scouts, shooty space marines, space marine captain and also some veterans.

With the new dark angels coming out I was obviously tempted. What are the main attibutes of a dark angels force other than being shooty? I also noticed some variants such as deathwing and such...

So what I'm really asking is how hard would it be for me to convert to dark angles, should I in the first place and what are their attributes.

I got owned by Wargamer, crazedmongoose2003 in Br and finally the inquisition during April 1st.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 20:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Dark angel conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamplemoose!
Hi, I'm back! Anyways I have mentionned in the past to having a small space marine force consisting of close combat scouts, shooty space marines, space marine captain and also some veterans.

With the new dark angels coming out I was obviously tempted. What are the main attibutes of a dark angels force other than being shooty? I also noticed some variants such as deathwing and such...

So what I'm really asking is how hard would it be for me to convert to dark angles, should I in the first place and what are their attributes.
In my opinion, Dark Angels have the best fluff in the Imperium, that's a reason to collect them if nothing else. Howloutloud can give you all the pros and cons of a Dark Angels army, I'll see if I can go find him...

*Scampers off*
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 20:50   #3 (permalink)
General Stupidity

I second what Tom says, DA have a pretty shifty/mysterious background which sort of gives them a cool factor. I also love the fluff behind Deathwing....

Old 30 Nov 2006, 21:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Dark Angels are not shooty! Or, at least, they're no more shooty than normal marines. In fact, they have more close combat advantages than normal marines, due to the Sword of Secrets. Other than that, the only bonus they have is for Leadership; their troops won't fall back from enemy shooting and they can be Stubborn. If normal Marines had a rep for not running away, the DA make them look like cowards.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 30 Nov 2006, 23:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Dark Angels take a lot of plasma, or should I say; make the other guys take a lot of plasma, too.

*Goes off to hunt Tom* :funny:
Old 01 Dec 2006, 11:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abael
Dark Angels are not shooty! Or, at least, they're no more shooty than normal marines. In fact, they have more close combat advantages than normal marines, due to the Sword of Secrets. Other than that, the only bonus they have is for Leadership; their troops won't fall back from enemy shooting and they can be Stubborn. If normal Marines had a rep for not running away, the DA make them look like cowards.
Sort of, with the way intractible currently is worded you would be better off running with a shooty dark angels army. Either that or you must upgrade every sgt to veteran and give him stubborn. The same goes with the scouts, you can take units of close combat scouts, but if you don't take a vet sgt with stubborn then theres a chance that they'll sit where they are and do nothing. Thats why a lot of dark angels players do play a shooty list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterCresent
Dark Angels take a lot of plasma, or should I say; make the other guys take a lot of plasma, too.
Simple misconception this one is. To try to distinguish the dark angels from vanilla marines in 3rd edition they gave plasma cannons to troop choices. Now in 4th those vanilla armies can take plasma cannons so they gave the dark angels the ability to take plasma cannons on dreadnoughts. The problem arises when considering why. A lot of players took it to mean that the dark angels were a heavily plasma based army, when the real reason is that they were the First space marine chapter so would have access to wargear and items that the other chapters wouldn't.

Alright, down to the original questions:

1. Depends on how much you want to restructure your army when the new dark angels codex comes out, as apparently scouts are becoming an elite choice, and we will be losing both intractable and stubborn (but from what I hear we will be having a lot of fearless units....) So if you were planning a large contingent of scouts be prepared to not be able to take other elite options. In the meantime they are troop choices so enjoy them, just remember to upgrade the vet sgt to have stubborn. (from some of the rumors I'm hearing you other marine players might want to start looking at scouts as an elite choice also, something about when they re release the space marine codex later on...)

2. We don't get normal veteran marines. Ours are called Deathwing Terminators. They can be played in two ways, either as elites and HQ's in your army, or as your army. This is actually caused by one of our few refusals to follow guillamons codex, as the entire first company of the dark angels is nothing but terminators dreadnoughts and land raiders. This also leads to the ravenwing 2nd company that is exclusively bikers and land speeders.

Overall right now its not hard to convert to dark angels, as for the most part they are the vanilla codex with a couple of added things. However come March/April when the codex is released you might find a couple of things have dramatically shifted (hint, don't try to min/max your troop choices or prepare to paint a lot more basic marines... and again the other marine players might want to start thinking about that too....)

Also for some ideas and fluff for the dark angels you might want to try here:

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/Home~ns4.html
Old 01 Dec 2006, 22:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks you all for your great help!

My questions do not lay dormant for long I fear as I have found more for you. What use are my scout/veterans now? Should I just give them up?

Second, reading from your post about alot of basic marines, I had to ask, how expensive will this army be. I liked the dark angels because: I want to jump upon the new codex bandwagon. I have always been intrigued by the dark mysterious past, I like the colour green and there wouldn't be to many models to paint/buy. Am I still in the right place?

I got owned by Wargamer, crazedmongoose2003 in Br and finally the inquisition during April 1st.
Old 02 Dec 2006, 01:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Thanks you all for your great help!

My questions do not lay dormant for long I fear as I have found more for you. What use are my scout/veterans now? Should I just give them up?

Second, reading from your post about alot of basic marines, I had to ask, how expensive will this army be. I liked the dark angels because: I want to jump upon the new codex bandwagon. I have always been intrigued by the dark mysterious past, I like the colour green and there wouldn't be to many models to paint/buy seeing as I was planning to go kinda heavy on terminators. Am I still in the right place?

Finally, is it even physically possible to be remotly mobile whilst having two regiments of terminators.

P.S. I found a use for my veterans. Yep, I'm talking honour guard!

Old 02 Dec 2006, 14:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Finally, is it even physically possible to be remotly mobile whilst having two regiments of terminators.
I find mobility in-game of little use. I don't want one or two units racing ahead of my army to cause mayhem as the rest slowly advance, because I know they won't come back. Such a distraction is all very well with scouts or tac squads, but you can't afford to sacrifice Termies like this.

As far as I'm concerned, mid-game transport is of secondary importance to initial deployment in relation to the enemy. Mass teleportation gives you a double advantage in this respect; you get to effectively deploy last, and you can put your Termies wherever they need to be. The obvious drawbacks to this are that they may not arrive simultaneously and that they may scatter fatally (or to a bad position).

Obviously, a Dark Angels army can't take Lysander to counter the first of these drawbacks (you can't do it Howloutloud, you just CAN'T!), but perhaps your opponent will allow you to field a Damocles command Rhino? A Damocles will help you with your reserve rolls and also with your teleportation accuracy.

Other than that, Land Raiders are your only form of mobility (until the new codex comes out) and they're far too expensive. You could risk a single Crusader loaded with either flavour of Terminator; they'd form a large part of your army though (as much as half in a 1500 point army) so you will have to attack the flanks rather than charging up the middle, or they'll be subject to persecution from the entire enemy army.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 02 Dec 2006, 18:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You're right, I can't take Lysander. However another rumored special ability is being able to deepstrike first turn.... let that sink in Tom Norman.

Yeah you can deepstrike all at once, I can deep strike sooner. :P