Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Just played my first game
Closed Thread
Old 28 Nov 2006, 03:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Just played my first game

Alright this was my first game, and I can't remember what happened when, but I'll do my best.

Mission: Seek and Destroy Alpha

I had:
SM Captain with Plasma Pistol and Power Sword

x10 Marines with Bolters

x10 Marines with Bolters

x5 Assault Marines with BP&CCW

I'm not sure what he had, but I know he had two Vypers.

Sergeant Ckrius, and his squad were heading towards a patch of forest for recon, when suddenly Gunshots were heard. He spun around, and saw a small group of Eldar, then his vox-unit sprang into life.
"We have xenos in the area, and we shall crush them with the Emperor's light!", said Captain Akios.
Ckrius began giving his men orders, "Head to the forest, but be cautious - the Eldar are crafty, and they most likely have snipers hidden."
All at once it happened, Squad Alpha headed to the forest while taking shots at the Eldar Vypers, Squad Beta began heading towards a building, Sergeant Katrn and his assault squad began charging towards the Eldar leader, and Captain Akios began runnning towards the tactical squads to help deal with the vyper.
The Eldar had pinned down the assault squad, and had fatally wounded Brother Kysar, Sergeant Rafen's squad had also taken some casualties. All of the marines at once knew the main threat- The Vypers. Both squad Alpha, and Beta began shooting at the Vyper while heading towards their original destinations. The assault squad was taking heavy fire from a group of Eldar hiding in the trees, and the Captain was doing as much as he could to help out the effort. It looked very grim, but if they could get lucky enough to take the Vypers they would have a good chance of winning.
An excellent marksman from Sergeant Rafen's squad- Brother Gabriel, had gotten a shot off on one of the grav engines causing the machine to come to a quick halt with the pilot being thrown foward, dying because of force of the impact when he hit the windshield. Then Captain Akios managed to destroy the other Vyper with his Plasma pistol. Unfortunately by this time Sergeant Katrn was the only one left of the assault squad, and he had retreated out of the battle area.
Then the Eldar, and his one bodyguard began heading towards the Captain, and the Captain opened fire at their approach, and he managed to kill the bnodyguard, but the leader was still going.
Squads Alpha and Beta had discovered there were actually more snipers in the building that Squad Beta had been moving towards, Both of the squads had opened fire on the snipers, but they had already taken out more of Rafen's men.
Then the unthinkable happened- Captain Akios had been defeated, the snipers had gotten a clean shot in his neck. The remaining Marines all watched in horror as their beloved Captain lie on the ground bleeding out of a grievious wound on his neck, if only Apothecary Satos had been there to save him.
The Marines fought with renewed fury, Squad Alpha charged into melee combat with the snipers in the building, while Squad Beta shot at the xeno's leader, making him retreat in process. After Sergeant Ckrius, and his men had finsihed slaughtering the Eldar snipers, he noticed the remaining Eldar forces were retreating. They had won. Even though it cost them their Captains life they had won.
Suddenly Ckrius's vox-unit sprang into life again, he was expecting to hear Sergeant Rafen, but instead he heard the Captain say "Good job men, you have purged the xenos, now get over here, and help me back to the base."
Sergeant Ckrius was overjoyed! He and the other men yelled a rallying cry in thanks to the Emperor, "For the Emperor!"

Feels good to not only play my first game, but also feels great to have won it.

P.S. Anyone who can tell me where the names (Besides Kysar and Satos) came from gets a cookie
Old 28 Nov 2006, 04:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Just played my first game

Good job, buddy! Damned alien scum...burn the witches!

As you play larger scale games you'll soon find that Eldar armies can and will easily outmanoeuvre you, forcing you to react to what they do rather than carry out your own plan. Future purchases should include some Rhinos if you expect to play against Eldar frequently, but if you're going to field any you should field two or three so that the AT fire isn't concentrated on just one.

Also, Captain Akios could do with a Jump pack so that he may bolster the handful of assault troops and make the most of his own close combat prowess. Once the Apothecary has removed the shurikens from his neck that is...
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 20:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wow, a new player who actually uses lots of tactical marines. Good job. I suggest getting some heavy support soon. A dreadnought, predator of devastator squad. You'll need them as you will no doubt be facing unit that are more heavily armored than vypers. Congratulations on the win.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 20:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Not only is there a lot of tacticals... there aren't any heavy weapons....

:'( I'm so proud right now...
Old 28 Nov 2006, 21:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howloutloud
Not only is there a lot of tacticals... there aren't any heavy weapons....

:'( I'm so proud right now...
That's not a good thing. An army this size would benefit from a couple heavy bolters nestled within the tactical squads.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 22:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Actually I couldn't fit in any HWs at all, the list topped out at exactly 500pts. I am planning to get a Dev. squad, and a Dread, and once I've got those two I will be able to field 1000pts. Thanks for replies, and why is it suprising that I took two tac squads? ???
Old 28 Nov 2006, 22:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliFriez
Actually I couldn't fit in any HWs at all, the list topped out at exactly 500pts. I am planning to get a Dev. squad, and a Dread, and once I've got those two I will be able to field 1000pts. Thanks for replies, and why is it suprising that I took two tac squads? ???
Most new players regard normal tac squads as boring and minimise their numbers so they can take other units like Dreadnoughts and Terminators. We're just surprised you didn't make the same mistake.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 00:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, we aren't surprised that you took 2 units of marines. We're surprised that you took 2 FULL units of marines. With everyone decrying the need to run only 6 marines in a squad with a lascannon and a plasma gun, it's very refreshing to see someone that takes the full ten men and bullox to everything else. ;D
Old 29 Nov 2006, 05:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, most new players seem to field the min. amount of troops and field things like terminators or land raiders in small games. You'll be hearing the term "powergamer" alot and that's what a powergamer is; someone who doesn't break the rules with their army list but comes as close as they can within the guidlines of the codex. Stick with balanced armies like you have been and you'll gain respect from experienced players alot quicker than most new players.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 11:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Oh. I thought 16 18" range shots was pretty good considering the Str and AP values, I mean two squads of that would be pretty good against say I dunno Orks? :P
Closed Thread