Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

SM vs SM fluffy?
Closed Thread
Old 17 Nov 2006, 01:38   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default SM vs SM fluffy?

Hey all,
in my not overly large gaming group we have a few SM players. We often like to have four player games, however a couple of our SM players refuse to play against each other because they can not see how SM would ever fight against each other in a fluffy way. This can be difficult when trying to include said players in campaigns as they start to team up when the campaign is supposed to be all on all. So my question is: is there any fluufy way that SM would fight other SM?

Cheers
Old 17 Nov 2006, 01:42   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae
Default Re: SM vs SM fluffy?

Mixed signals? Maybe one marine called another some nasty names, so push came to shove came to bolts in the face.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 01:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Of course there is. Space Marine chapters have infinite variety in their structure. For instance the secretive Dark Angels might well end up at arms against the Space Wolves, the Blood Angels successor chapters might easily meet the ire of an Inquisitor or other chapter and end up at arms. Some chapters have ended up clashing for other reasons aswell for instance in the treachery of the Astral Claws who tried to rebel and had I believe 4 other chapters including the Lamenters allied with them.

Ever since the heresy Space Marines have had fluffy reasons to fight each other. Perhaps the Puritanical Black Templars decide that the high concentration of Librarians in the Blood Ravens is a mark of heresy and attack them. Or the Raptors discover one of the Dark Angels secrets and come under attack by the DA to preserve those secrets. The Ultramarines might clash with the Space Wolves because of their extreme divergence from the codex and of course the Grey Knights (a chapter of SM) have been sent on purgation missions to wipe out chapters before. Some chapters are marked as heretics and other Space Marines will come to the call to annihilate these traitors. Many orders within the Imperium even other Space Marine chapters often have clashes of ethos, morals and ideology. Mutation is also another factor such as in the Black Dragons who utilize units of Assault Marines who have grown long bone like blades from their arms and heads and use them as weapons and they are just one example.

There are many reasons why Space Marines would fight other Space Marines. One thing I like to joke about when I see two marine players fighting is to ask "so who is the heretic this time?" In an organization like the Imperium there doesnt even have to be such concrete reasons.

Old 17 Nov 2006, 03:05   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Perhaps the Puritanical Black Templars decide that the high concentration of Librarians in the Blood Ravens is a mark of heresy and attack them.
"Come brothers, let us destroy those who harbor the witch!"

Ultramarines attacking Templar because of their size. Dark Angles attacking the Templar because the Templar captured Cyprus(sp?)... multitudes of reasons.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 03:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Then there is the infamous tale of the Red Scorpions and what they did to the Chapter that forgot to repaint a rhino exactly the colours it had been when they where lent it by the Scorpions. They returned it in perfect working order but left the camo scheme they painted it in. The Red Scorpions blew up the other chapter's armoury for that.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 05:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Ah yes. The "Camo? Who needs camo!" camp and the "Lets be all sneaky like" camps...

Immensely proud, armed males have egos. Really big egos. Even though they subjacate themselves to an infinitely wise power who guides them, they still have one hell of an ego.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 17 Nov 2006, 17:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The All-father
Mixed signals? Maybe one marine called another some nasty names, so push came to shove came to bolts in the face.
LOL!

[hr]

Quote:
Originally Posted by icer190
Ultramarines attacking Templar because of their size. Dark Angles attacking the Templar because the Templar captured Cyprus(sp?)... multitudes of reasons.
Yeah, you've gotta hate those Templars for capturing Cyprus...the UN wasn't happy about it when the Turks did it. :P

[hr]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Ah yes. The "Camo? Who needs camo!" camp and the "Lets be all sneaky like" camps...

Immensely proud, armed males have egos. Really big egos. Even though they subjacate themselves to an infinitely wise power who guides them, they still have one hell of an ego.
Big men, big egos, bigger guns and no tolerance whatsoever. It just a recipe for planet rending tantrums isn't it?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 00:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to thecuriousmonke

You could always just take the easy way, and say that one chapter is traitorous for this game/campaign.

If they think it is unfluffy, then write up some fluff for them. Try to make it even balanced fluff in which both their chapters aren't very happy with one another.

A good example was the borrowing of the rhino.
May you rest in peace, Freddie Hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I hate kids.
More normaler that you'se!
Thanks to Wargamer and JD for the sigs
Old 18 Nov 2006, 17:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I have no doubt we could come up with some scenarios for you if you take the time to explain each Chapter's fluff to us (unless they are codex chapters, in which case we need only know which ones).
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 17:23   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hey all,
sorry for the delay, been unable to get to my computer lol. Anyways one plays Ultramarines, another his own chapter which is kind of Blood Angels with a Daemonhunters twist to it. The real problem they have with this is that if lets say four armies are on world, these two a Deathguard army (myself) and a Tau army. Would not the two SM based armies fight together to fight the chaos and xenos threat and then once finished go back to whatever internecine troubles they have? I can understand them doing so and thats what makes it difficult for me to try convince them otherwise! All ideas gratefully accepted