Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Space marine life span
Closed Thread
Old 16 Nov 2006, 20:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Space marine life span

how long do space marines live? ive searched in vain.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 20:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Space marine life span

From what I have gathered from the fluff I have read it varies from chapter to chapter and individual to individual. However an average age of an "old" Space Marine past his prime is 600. There are unusual individuals such as Chapter Master Dante of the Blood Angels who is 1100 years old.

Old 16 Nov 2006, 20:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It is unknown how long a Space Marine is capable of living; none have survived long enough to find out (they've all been killed too soon). However, a Marine will usually live 2-3 centuries before he gets killed off.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 16 Nov 2006, 22:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

You know, I don't think Marines are even mortal in the truest sense. You can blow them up and shoot them dead, but those Marines interred within the armoured sarcophagus of a Dreadnought may live thousands of years. Even mortally wounded, on life support, they just keep on going. Are we to understand that the techno-fearing Imperium is (or perhaps was) capable of producing machines able to cheat death? Or might we assume that Space Marines were genetically engineered to be physically perfect, free from disease and the crippling degeneration that accompanies the inevitable decay of time? On that note, was Bjorn the fell-handed in service during the heresy?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 22:13   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
On that note, was Bjorn the fell-handed in service during the heresy?
Supposedly, yes. According to some fluff (I haven't personally read it, but I've heard it) he remembers fighting alongside the Emperor himself. Which makes him over ten thousand years old.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 22:16   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

He was the youngest wolflord in the service of the space wolfs when leman russ upped and left, and became the first great wolf according to space wolf.....

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 16 Nov 2006, 22:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to thecuriousmonke

I had the impression that:
-a space marine recruit is no more than 100 years old
-a new space marine is usually 100-600 years old
-your average space marines is likely to have centuries of experience alone, and have lived for longer
-your veteran lives for thousands of years
May you rest in peace, Freddie Hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I hate kids.
More normaler that you'se!
Thanks to Wargamer and JD for the sigs
Old 16 Nov 2006, 22:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuriousMonke
I had the impression that:
-a space marine recruit is no more than 100 years old
-a new space marine is usually 100-600 years old
-your average space marines is likely to have centuries of experience alone, and have lived for longer
-your veteran lives for thousands of years
Well Neophytes tend to be inducted for training when they're about 16-18 years old, so definately less than 100 years. Can you imagine a bunch of seven-foot armoured supermen, armed to the hilt, storming into the old people's home to abduct a toothless old man barely able to support his own weight or control his bladder?

The Chaplain glared at the gathered pensioners as they gaped at him and his men in dumbfounded awe. "This one...he is a hero among their people, he has potential." He finally declared, raising his Crozius in the direction of a dribbling relic of an OAP, leaning precariously on his zimmer frame.
Brother Hassius lowered his bolter and turned to the venerable Chaplain, "The one that's talking to himself my lord?"
"He is obviously praying to his Gods for the might to oppose us." Chaplain Remataan nodded with sage wisdom, "He has spirit. He's the one."
"Only if these people worship cheese and biscuits..." Hassius muttered to himself taking a step towards the confused old man.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 22:42   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

They don't really die of old age, since their risk of dying in combat is too high for that. You could apply the concept of "residence time" to get a sense of their average lifespan (I would guess on the order of 300-400 years). At some point their facilities would decrease slightly, but they would probably just die in combat because of it rather than be pulled from active duty. And obviously Dreadnoughts and mech-heavy chapters like the Iron Hands are going to live until they are destroyed. Imperial life-extension capability is very good. Important people in the military are basically going to live until someone kills them. Space Marines are just the most extreme example of that.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 22:42   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

<Laughs> And you say you're normal......

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Closed Thread