Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What to give your Commander
Closed Thread
Old 16 Nov 2006, 16:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Yummifoamycoffee
Default What to give your Commander

What should i give my Commander? Cuz i want a low-budget-masterly Overpowerd Captain but i want to give him some ranged power and close combat but kicking tool.

Old 16 Nov 2006, 17:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: What to give your Commander

Thats a lot of abilities to cram into a low budget captain. But heres a start:

Captain, Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon, Terminator Honors, Jump Pack, frag grenades
Total: 126pts

12" move, str 7 ap 2 gun, power weapon, 6 attacks on the charge. Not too expencive and has ranged and cc abilities. Not a commander I would use but I think it fits the bill you want. You could also upgrade him to a Master for the leadership and wounds and a combat shield or Iron Halo for the invulnerable save could also come in handy but its your choice.

Old 16 Nov 2006, 19:30   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

When I had marines, I went for Artificer Armour, Iron Halo, Power Weapon, Power Fist. Pure close combat all the way....

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 19 Nov 2006, 20:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think, at the bare minimum, lightning claws and plasma pistol/combi-plasma gun/combi-melta and lastly artificer armour.

Then I would give him adamantine mantle, no more instant death ;D then jump pack, then grenades, auspex, bionics, the wargear section.

If he has a jump pack, put him in a command squad with a librarian and chaplain, and veteran sergeant, and champion, and apothecary, and banner bearer all equiped with jump packs. Last man armed with a bolter is doomed to die, first unsaved wound, kill him off, hey presto a ridiculously tooled up assault squad with three HQ choices (counting as 1 ;D) that can rip annything to shreds.

Combine this with librarian power, might of heroes, the squad re-roll almost anything, briliant for ripping apart enemy champions/HQs/Elites/cool looking tough models

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 20:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omeganus
I think, at the bare minimum, lightning claws and plasma pistol/combi-plasma gun/combi-melta and lastly artificer armour.

Then I would give him adamantine mantle, no more instant death ;D then jump pack, then grenades, auspex, bionics, the wargear section.

If he has a jump pack, put him in a command squad with a librarian and chaplain, and veteran sergeant, and champion, and apothecary, and banner bearer all equiped with jump packs. Last man armed with a bolter is doomed to die, first unsaved wound, kill him off, hey presto a ridiculously tooled up assault squad with three HQ choices (counting as 1 ;D) that can rip annything to shreds.

Combine this with librarian power, might of heroes, the squad re-roll almost anything, briliant for ripping apart enemy champions/HQs/Elites/cool looking tough models
Great...and for the other half of your army? :

Overlooking the fact that you proposed commander's loadout is illegal, I make that 648 points minimum, without even equipping the other ICs! Close combat monsters they may be, but power armour doesn't fare well when Basilisks start shooting at it from afar. Pour too many points into a single unit and you'll find it just gets pie-plated to death. This is really stupid...don't do it.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 21:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, honestly, I'm a fan of 3 load outs:

lightning claws, combat shield/Iron Halo (maybe terminator honors)

lightning claws, combat shield/Iron Halo, jump pack (maybe terminator honors)

lightning claws, terminator armor
Old 19 Nov 2006, 22:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Great...and for the other half of your army? :
*plays rimshot*

I've always liked the idea of a termi armoured commander with twin lightning claws and an adamantium mantle. It's really freakin' expensive, but pretty darn good

Most of the time I'd try and keep it pretty cheap though. I really dont like using plasmas on characters as it drives up their pts cost (even though the BS is real nice)
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 19 Nov 2006, 22:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

The problem with the Terminator armor is you cant run down foes. An offencive commander with a jump pack can be very good at taking apart light infantry squads, assaulting them, cutting down hopefully half their number below half and make them break, then consolidate behind cover or into another squad. The broken squad will keep running without being able to regroup or be run down which the jump pack commander can do very well with his initiative 5. Makes for lots of dead infantry and can force an opponent to decide whether to go after the + or - 150pt commander whos not even a scoring unit or focus on the rest of your army. Whichever target your opponent picks it can easily be to your advantage. If the commander gets targeted he can just keep fighting till he goes down while your army is free to wreack havoc on the enemy and if he choses your army your commander is free to do the same.

Terminator commanders are good because they are utilitarian though. The termi armor is a built in invulnerable save and 2+ save, with lightning claws its even better and he can do some nice damage. So its up to personal preference.

Old 20 Nov 2006, 00:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

My two favorites are:
Storm bolter,lightning claw,Iron halo

Power weapon,bolt pistol,combat sheild

Old 20 Nov 2006, 02:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Remember KISS: keep it simple stupid....

Playing deathwing and dark angels means I'm a little restricted on what I can take (always have to take terminator honors, the normal restrictions of terminator armor, stubborn making it harder to create a hand to hand nightmare....)

So my typical loadout, which depends upon the point value of the game, is:

Terminator captain w/ sword of secrets, stubborn, storm bolter = 135 pts

Captain w/ sword of secrets, stubborn, storm bolter, terminator honors = 125 pts

Terminator captain w/ power weapon, stubborn, storm bolter = 110 pts

Captain w/ power weapon, stubborn, storm bolter, terminator honors = 100 pts

The first 2 are more oriented to larger games, the second 2 would be for games less than 1500 pts.