Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Counts as predator Is it legal?
Closed Thread
Old 10 Nov 2006, 23:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Counts as predator Is it legal?

I do not like the look of the predator tank next to my transports. there isn't much to seperate it from the razorbacks. I would rather use a Russ without the turret, armed with heavy bolter side sponsons and a hull mounted auto cannon in place of the laz cannon. A sort of WWI looking predator would look cool on the table. It is a GW model, but is it legal to use as a predator? I could deal with a 45 degree firing arc on the auto cannon becuase it is hull mounted. a combination of auto cannon and laz cannon sponsons, while not the best tactical combination, might also look cool. What do you think?
Old 11 Nov 2006, 00:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Counts as predator Is it legal?

If people can use upside down cups to represent drop pods and unpainted, broken Guardsmen to represent Grey Knight Terminators, then there's nothing at all to stop you from using this makeshift vehicle to represent a Predator. Just so long as your opponent knows what it is, it's fine.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 01:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks Tom.
That's what I thought. I am more concerned about the way my army looks than how it performs. I can't stand the fact that the marine's main battle tank looks just like an APC with a turret and sponsons. I thought that something with a profile more like the land raider would be a better representation on the game table. Thanks to Greydeath, I have learned about the power of plasticard, greenstuf, and a little creativity.
By the way I saw some pics of your entire army, Nice job!
Old 11 Nov 2006, 02:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

You might consider some Forge World bits to make your Predators look extra meaty compared to Rhinos. Perhaps that'll solve the problem? I fitted my Vindicator with FW extra armour and it looks dead spiffy. Maybe chunky tanks aren't your thing, but they certainly look harder than the normal Rhino chassis.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 02:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to GRISGIT-warboss

Yes, beefing up the Predator with FW parts could definately work.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 02:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Forgeworld parts might work, but it is still a Rhino with a gun on top...
Then again, if I think in terms of modern U.S. armed forces, The Army may use the M1 Abrams supported by the Bradley APC. (40k russ and chimera)
But the marines may use many versions of the airlift friendly LAV to bring firepower to the battle quickly. I think I figure out why they look so much alike. Maybe some reactive armor plates could explain the higher armor value of the predator.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 03:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Actually I think its that the armor is thicker. Its the same patter of design except where the Rhino has thiner plate armor on its chasis to make room for its occupants the Predator can take thicker armor which doesnt really effect how it looks and much of the rest of the space is taken up by the power, amunition, targeting systems and other gysmos such a war machine will need.

But yes the "counts as" rule is a very nice thing. As long as its roughly the same size and profile of the Predator and has legal weapons and stats than it is just fine to call a converted russ a Predator. Just like I could take Cadians and arm them with pulse rifles to say they are Firewarriors and make fluff for them being elite gue'vesa shock troops. Its not just casual gaming that allows this the "counts as" rule is legal and nice to make use of some times. It adds more variety where things can start to look much the same after a while. When do the different paint schemes of that Hammerhead still fail to conceal the fact that its just another Hammerhead just like the last forty you have seen for example.

Old 11 Nov 2006, 18:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensmurf
Forgeworld parts might work, but it is still a Rhino with a gun on top...
Then again, if I think in terms of modern U.S. armed forces, The Army may use the M1 Abrams supported by the Bradley APC. (40k russ and chimera)
But the marines may use many versions of the airlift friendly LAV to bring firepower to the battle quickly. I think I figure out why they look so much alike. Maybe some reactive armor plates could explain the higher armor value of the predator.
You could get creative and raise your predator off it's tracks. Raise it up and put it on a very large base (the size of a CD) and then start getting creative with it, to make it something special. Not just a Rhino with guns. Get plasticard, bulk up the front armor and actually raise it perhaps, to be higher in the front. Then if you want to really stand out, have it resting on a bed of tentacles as it sleeks and stilts around, firing, while walking.

*Sigh* This is why my Marines are so Chaos looking.... Traitors are so much more fun to model :P

-- Just be creative. Try bulking a Rhino if you don't want to order bits. Plasticard can go very far in this effort.

Cheers!
Old 11 Nov 2006, 21:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks Vash. I was beginning to get a little discouraged. I like the idea of having a tank that does not look like the transports in my army, or like the tanks in every other smurf army out there. My smurfs are painted with a limited color pallet. Catachan green, camo green, and rotting flesh. I did this to give my army a different feel from all of the bright colored marines bedecked in gold and silver trim that grace the pages of WD and most gaming tables. I started with a solid core of tactical squads (36 marines) with the intent of building a marine horde of sorts. After a few games I learned that mobility is an asset that can not be overlooked. I added 3 transports, an assault squad, a chaplain with jump pack, a tornado and 3 dreadnoughts to the army. Suddenly it looks pretty much like the rest of the marine armies I have seen despite the paint job! I have upgraded one of the tactical squads to a devastator squad and think 2 predators and an additional tornado would be a good way to round out the force and bring the point total to 2000. In the end I want an army that is mine, not another battle force box with terminators and a librarian added for good measure, all painted blue and gold or something equally ultrarific. In short if it doesn't break any rules, I will use the Russ as the base for my predator conversions. Maybe doing this combined with some clever conversions on the dreadnoughts will help to set my marines apart if only on an asthetic level. Thanks again for clarifying the counts as rules.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 22:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Here's a few pics of Richard Ranky's Dreadnoughts for inspiration:

Ajax

Charon

Fortis
Closed Thread