Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

drop pod force??
Closed Thread
Old 29 Oct 2006, 02:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default drop pod force??

hey im planning on doing an all drop pod army, and i was woundering whether or not it works on the table. what are the benefits and disadvantages. any comments much appreciated.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 03:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: drop pod force??

If you want all drop pods then I don't you will have any vehicles such a land raiders or any transports.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends. a friend of a friend (The First Cortana Letter) R.I.P KJ
Old 29 Oct 2006, 03:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Benefits? How about never dying because you DSed into impassable terrain or troops? How about saying: I will deploy wherever I want, not this little square.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 04:23   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreaper
hey im planning on doing an all drop pod army, and i was woundering whether or not it works on the table. what are the benefits and disadvantages. any comments much appreciated.
Somehow i don't think its possible to have that for Space Marine Armies because you have to start with at least a troop sqaud or a tank that resembles the fact that your opponent knows that he is actually attacking someone as opposed to thin air...

I might be spouting a load of crap about you not being able to do it but if it can be done look at the potential to unleash a shit load of firepower of the turn you arrive... >

Just my 10c

White Ninja Warlord >
Old 29 Oct 2006, 04:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

You can do this.

Each drop pod counts as a transport for +xx points. They're actually quite scary, as you decide the deployment zone, not what the game says is the deployment zone.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 05:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Drop pod armies are a very fluffy and unique army to play. The look on your opponents face when he realises you aren't putting anything on the board is always priceless. Although you have to realise that drop pod armies function much differently than standard armies.

Allot rests on those reserves rolls, a solid turn 3 deployment (80% or more of your list) will almost certainly spell disaster for your opponent but on the flip side of the coin having one or two selections touch down every turn will be a painful experience.

Along with that you have to build your list with redundancy in mind. On more than one occasion I've had a pair of Preds and Dreads eat my army alive piece mail simply because my Dreads and Dev's didn't touch down early enough to deal with them.

Mobile and horde armies will give you trouble. Personally I hated playing against Mech Tau lists, I would land roll through my shooting phase only to watch my opponent redeploy away from me. Likewise playing against horde armies was a bit of a pain because all my podding did was give the other player a turn to take objectives and cover.

On the upside, careful deployment can easily create a wall of size 3 terrain in the middle of your opponents forces. Three pods spaced 1-2 inches apart will force those nids to either destroy the pods or go around them while you happily blast away at the synapse critters. Likewise don't be bashful about planting them in front of those tanks... he has to kill them before he can knock them out of the way.

With that in mind make all of your reserve rolls before you place anything on the table! If only one tac squad is going to land this turn at least fire them at those auto cannon teams to block line of sight (and hopefully kill one or two before you bite it).

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, if you have any more specific questions feel free to ask. One thing to remember above all else is to have fun... Pods aren't a end all beat all list, with perfect reserve rolls you'll make the other guy want to throw out his army... bad rolls and you'll want to throw yours out.
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Old 29 Oct 2006, 06:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNinjaWarlord
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreaper
Somehow i don&#39;t think its possible to have that for Space Marine Armies because you have to start with at least a troop sqaud or a tank that resembles the fact that your opponent knows that he is actually attacking someone as opposed to thin air...

I might be spouting a load of Klkn about you not being able to do it but if it can be done look at the potential to unleash a Shtlk load of firepower of the turn you arrive... &gt;

Just my 10c

White Ninja Warlord &gt;
yes you can do it James dear. the only setback is that if you want a true drop pod army, they all have to be; tanks and infantry units won&#39;t fit fluff-wise/will get a massive forking from enemy fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgue
With that in mind make all of your reserve rolls before you place anything on the table! If only one tac squad is going to land this turn at least fire them at those auto cannon teams to block line of sight (and hopefully kill one or two before you bite it).
I take it by saying this you mean if you pass a reserves roll you do not have to put the unit on the board then and there (that turn), but that you may place the unit on the board that turn or any subsequent turn.

On a different note. I believe that drop pods are a very effective army, I know from experience (mostly on the receiving end). In fact I think I may write a list, take at least 3 drop dreadnoughts, two with furious assault and an assault cannon, the other with tank hunter and a multi-melta. Also if you take cleanse and purify and take the fight to them, you can get a very good result, you diembark with troops that are assault orientated, but can rapid fire plasma guns on the turn they land (good seeing as they can only shoot when they land). In fact that sounds like such a good idea I may just go and write one now...
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Old 29 Oct 2006, 13:35   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

If no one has any objections I&#39;m going to send a link to a drop pod tactica on Librarium- http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d-tactics.html
Old 29 Oct 2006, 14:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas O Dalyth Montau
I take it by saying this you mean if you pass a reserves roll you do not have to put the unit on the board then and there (that turn), but that you may place the unit on the board that turn or any subsequent turn.
I hope not,

Because doing so would be extremely illegal. It is a must to deploy units as they become available from reserves. There is no holding back and the rulebook is absolutely imperative and clear about it. No choices. If you roll something from reserves--it arrives unless something prevents it (ie: Daemon summoning); but nothing is going to prevent a Drop Pod.

Cheers!
Old 29 Oct 2006, 15:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Just a recomendation. If you go through with the full drop pod army idea, DONT take first turn if at all possible. That way your opponent will effectively lose 2 whole shooting phases
I&#039;d hate to get on his bad side... &gt;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Closed Thread