Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Whirldwind and indirect fire
Closed Thread
Old 25 Oct 2006, 21:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Whirldwind and indirect fire

Hello,
I would like to know if the whirlwind is capable of doing indirect fire.
In the spanish version of the last space marines codex is nowhere in the description of the capabilities of the vehicle nor in what can you add to it (like smoke launchers, additional armour, etc...).
I think that is fully capable of shot indirectly, but...
Thanks a lot.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 21:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Whirldwind and indirect fire

A 'G' immediately following the weapon's range in the weapon stats section of any codex denotes 'Guess range' weapons, which is a left over term from 3rd edition, indicating that the weapon may be fired indirectly/as a barrage weapon.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 07:27   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thank you, Tom!
Old 26 Oct 2006, 16:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
Thank you, Tom!
You're welcome. Don't forget that it's an ordnance barrage weapon too, which means a -1 modifier to enemy pinning tests and should you score a penetrating hit on a vehicle, it's upgraded to an ordnance penetrating hit! Of course, you can only do this to AV10 which means you'll only realistically be able to target Chimeras, Basilisks, land speeders, sentinels and such in this manner...unless someone accidentally shows his rear armour facing to the Whirlwind, not considering it to be a threat. >
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 18:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to The_Greater_Good

The Whirlwind comes with indirect fire for free, the Basilisk has to buy it... us lucky Astartes eh? (that was a yes, by the way)

If you need help with a Tau army list, go ahead and pm me, always willing to help.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 18:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ahhh, but the guard do get an advantage for having to pay for their indirect. Their version is basically a firing mode, so they can still fire directly at stuff they can see. Whirlybirds are always "guess" weapons
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 26 Oct 2006, 18:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Ahhh, but the guard do get an advantage for having to pay for their indirect. Their version is basically a firing mode, so they can still fire directly at stuff they can see. Whirlybirds are always "guess" weapons
How's that an advantage? :huh:
Old 26 Oct 2006, 19:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

I was going to say, firing indirectly all the time is a bit of a disadvantage, not an advantage. You don't have the option of improving your chances to hit by having line of sight. The Basalisk having the option to choose between the two actually gives them more flexability than what the whirlwind gets.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 20:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I don't see how. Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding of Ordnance and barrage weapons is as follows:

Ordnance weapon with line of sight - Stationary vehicle:
Roll a scatter dice and a D6. If a hit is rolled, template remains where it is. If an arrow is rolled move the template in that direction the number of inches as indicated by the D6.

Barrage weapon with line of sight - Stationary vehicle:
Roll a scatter dice and a D6. If a hit is rolled, template remains where it is. If an arrow is rolled move the template in that direction the number of inches as indicated by the D6.

Are we noticing a pattern here? Neither vehicle has a clear advantage in accuracy. The only advantage the Earthshaker cannon has in direct fire is that the vehicle can move 6" and still fire, but that's slightly offset by the Whirlwind's ability to target anything in range, regardless of line of sight. A minimum range of 36" inches can limit the Basilisk's indirect fire ability considerably after turn two.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 21:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Terras Guard

If you do not have LOS, you roll 2D6.

And we get the Griffon. Well, we used to. Damn fine artillery piece, though.