Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Arena - A Tournament of Champions Discussion thread
Closed Thread
Old 23 Oct 2006, 17:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Arena - A Tournament of Champions Discussion thread

Welcome to the Tournament of Champions discussion thread. Allow me to explain what the Tournament of Champions is; It is an opportunity for forum-goers to showcase their painting, writing, character creating, and tactical skills.

This will be done in a knock-out tournament fashion. The winners of each battle will go on to fight the next combatant, until we have a winner.

Rules
Can be any character (from Veteran Sergeants to Chaplains to Librarians) from any chapter.
No special characters or vehicles allowed.
No line troopers allowed. This means no melta gunning marines running around pasting the characters before they get into combat.
No S8 ranged weapons. This pretty much means no combi-meltas. This rule doesn't apply to close combat weapons, so you can have Power Fists.
There is no points limit, however, all restrictions placed upon the character still apply (i.e. wargear limits).
If an upgrade character is taken (i.e. Veteran Sergeant) then they may without the squad.
Force Weapons deal an additional D3 wounds (i.e. You deal one wound and roll a 1 on the D3, dealing 2 wounds total). Instant Death! still applies in full.
A picture of the painted mini must be supplied with the entry. WYSIWYG rules.

Note: It's fairly easy to make an overpowered character in order to win this, but I strongly recommend you create (or use an old) character that is fluffy and that you use in your games of 40k. The goal of this tournament isn't to just win, but to showcase good characters and to have some fun.

To enter, you would post your character, including 1)what he is (i.e. Master of Sanctity), 2) all weapons and wargear, and 3)a picture of the painted mini. A little blurb of fluff is highly recommended, but not necessary to enter.
An example character would be:
Chaplain Flavius Grimm of the Knights Angelic
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...t-2006-009.jpg
Master of Sanctity
. Crozius Arcanum
. Power Weapon
. Terminator Armour

Flavius Grimm is one of the oldest and most revered chaplains in the Knights Angelic chapter. He has been honoured in battle more times than one can count. He is a member of the Consilium Deaconi, the council which watches over the spirituality of the chapter and acts in a similar way to other chapters' head chaplains.

Each battle will consist of three rounds. Each round is similar to a turn in 40k, but with both combatants operating simultaneously. The characters start exactly 18" apart; so are within rapid-fire and charge range.
Each player (owner of the model) will PM me with orders on what they want their characters to do. During the first round, each character must move forward, so that they are 6" apart. Then you may fire a weapon, or choose not to. If you fire a rapid fire weapon, then you forfeit your charge (unless in Terminator armour). After shooting, each character will charge each other (unless one fired a rapid fire weapon). In the order, include which close combat weapon you wish to use. In addition, librarians should include which psychic powers they will attempt to use, including force weapons.
All characters will be considered Fearless for the tournament; we don't want the Librarians scaring each other away.
If, after three rounds, both characters are still standing, then the winner is determined by the percentage of wounds left. For instance, a Reclusiarch with 1 wound left (50%) would win against an Epistolary with 1 wound left (33%).
If both combatants have the same percentage of wounds left, then a 2d6 will be rolled for each combatant. High-score wins the match.

After the players have sent me the orders, I will take the appropriate actions and dice rolls. After the winner has been decided, I will post the results and a small write-up of the battle (this will be fluff based off of the battle) along with links to the characters.

Comments, criticism and suggestions are all welcome. This is designed to be fair and fun, and will be better the more people contribute!

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 27 Oct 2006, 00:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Arena - A Tournament of Champions Discussion thread

Ok, there hasn't been much response (i.e. none) to this. So, I'd like to know why.

Is it that people just aren't interested? Or, perhpaps, it's the picture requirement? I'd like to know, since this could be really fun... But not without any support from the forum members.

Old 27 Oct 2006, 01:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think the picture thing is partly to do with it, but not all. Alot of people dont have access to a good digi-cam.

Secondly I think that if this was to go foreward, we'd see a LOT of similar characters. The marine codex just doesnt have as many options equipment wise as the chaos one and that may be part of the reason.

Of course I could be wrong and people just missed it
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 27 Oct 2006, 02:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm just not interested. Not that I think it's a bad idea I just don't have the desire or time for it.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 19:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I dunno, bud...we've just done a whole 1000 point game, with 16 players, spanning two continents. Perhaps two characters duking it out is a bit of a step down? There's almost no scope for tactics, and the success of the entire event would be based on your creative writing skills. Perhaps on the surface there doesn't appear to be much potential entertainment value?

Go on then...I'll chip in a character - Your hero and mine; Brother-Sergeant Krull of the Imperial Fists:

[hr]

Brother Sergeant Krull is a Terminator Sergeant I named as a joke back when I first started playing. The name stuck and as he and his men etched a glorous and vilolent legacy he developed his own 'personality', with my opponent and I doing little skits.

Krull was raised by Ogryns (hence the name) and solves everything with a measure of violence. Throughout his countless years on the battlefield, Krull has ever sought out and destroyed enemy tanks, regarding infantry as merely a nuisance in the persuit of greater prey. His ruthless brutality towards the enemies of the Imperium and his general tenacity have earned him the Crux Argentum, which he bears proudly on his left shoulder. These days he never goes to battle without his 'lucky track link' hooked to his belt.

Not content with the shootyness of a conventional storm bolter, he has ripped one of the larger varients off an enemy vehicle's cupola mounting and had it refitted with a pistol grip. Krull is ever on a quest for nuclear bolter shells for just a bit more Dakka.

Krull has been represented with three different models so far, this is his thrid incarnation.

[table]
[tr][td] [/td][td] Weapons and equipment:
  • Terminator Armour
  • Storm Bolter
  • Thunder Hammer
  • Iron Halo ('Lucky' track link)
95 points 70 points[/td][/tr][/table] [table][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 19:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, I hadn't moved on to character entry yet, but it's still very much welcome! One thing though; no Iron Halo on TDA (no 'T&#39.

When you compare it to the Community Gaming, the Tournament is smaller than it. However, it differs in that its focus is on characters. And that's where its entertainment lies; two characters duking it out. Like aristeia (I probably got that wrong) in the Illiad; a duel between two great heroes.

As for variation, I think that it won't be that much of a problem. Three HQ characters and sergeants with different weapons, armour, doo-dads, and chapters (yes; all chapters are included, including 13th company) and you've got quite a bit. Also, opening it to every race introduces balance issues.

And finally, I think that winning the tournament comes with quite a few bragging rights!

I'm going to take off the picture requirement and if nobody has any further suggestions, I'll open registration tomorrow.

Old 29 Oct 2006, 03:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Do Bikes count as vehicles or not, since they don't normally.

Old 29 Oct 2006, 18:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

No, bikes do not count as vehicles, since, as you said, they don't normally count as vehicles.

Old 29 Oct 2006, 20:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
No special characters or vehicles allowed.
Blah, I would've bought & modeled a Space Wolves Venerable Dreadnaught just for this competition.

Consider the utter terror of an AV12 juggernaught with a Plasma Cannon at WS/BS5...
Old 29 Oct 2006, 20:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Which is exactly why they're not allowed :P

Closed Thread