Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What happened to bikes?
Closed Thread
Old 21 Oct 2006, 05:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default What happened to bikes?

Just today, my friend was talking to me about how good Space Marine scout bikes are.

-12" move before game
-invuln save if you turbospeed
-TL bolters that always count as stationary when fired
-can shoot and charge
-can meltabomb
-T5
-charges 12"

Which, by the way, also means that they can (almost certainly) destroy a tank 36" away on the first turn.

So why is it that I've never heard people talk about what a pain bikes are? I also never see them in space marine army lists, either. So what gives? why aren't there more people using them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 21 Oct 2006, 05:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to The_Greater_Good
Default Re: What happened to bikes?

Chaos bikers are alot more common, because the spikey bits on their bikes give +1 attack, for the same price I believe. Land Speeders and Assualt Marines are just more bang for the buck I guess.

If you need help with a Tau army list, go ahead and pm me, always willing to help.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 05:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Bikes don't charge 12", they only move 12".
Old 21 Oct 2006, 05:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
Bikes don't charge 12", they only move 12".
Yes very true, but the rest...

One of the things that went under the most revitalization in the change to 4th was bikes. Before that bikes really weren't all that great for the price. Now that they have been changed they are one of those units that people are still getting use to I think. The fact that a few other things had more visalbe changes kept bikes from still being in the spot light so they are a slow adoption.

Not to mention they are one of the more costly(in dollars) units per model of the marine list.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 05:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well you have to remember, Warhammer 40,000 is an expensive hobby, so don't get into it if your not willing to drop a few dollars for some fun, and back on topic, the bikes can get into close combat within turn 2, with minimal casualties. With a 4+ invulnerable save, the chances of it dying are slim (your average invulnerable save is 5+). In close combat bikes are beasts, your average strength 3 trooper will have a tough time wounding on 6's, and you'll just grind through crowds of men whistling a merry tune as you do it.

If you need help with a Tau army list, go ahead and pm me, always willing to help.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 06:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Greater_Good
Well you have to remember, Warhammer 40,000 is an expensive hobby, so don't get into it if your not willing to drop a few dollars for some fun,
Easy to say, hard to put in practice. Most people are willing to take a hard hitting unit. When you have a role in mind and another unit will do it as well, and be cheaper on the pocketbook, people tend to choose the more cost effective one.

What I'm trying to say is that the cost of the models might have an impact on why we don't see as many bikes as we do Assault marines or Landspeeders. marines are a good starter army for more reasons than they are forgiving on the battlefield. They can be one of the cheaper armies to field and can be a refuge for those on a budget.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 08:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, I've had a good sized squad of marine bikes for many years. The problem I've had with them is that for some reason they draw alot of attention. I guess a squad of toughness 5 marines barreling towards you does tend to make you worry but really point wise they arent' that expensive. Mine always got blown away, I don't have any tanks besides rhinos, by the way, so maybe they seem like a bigger threat than dreadnoughts and landspeeders to my opponents. Plus they are one of a few units in my marine army that aren't painted so I tend not to use them for that reason as well. I guess i should paint them up and get them causing trouble again. >
Old 21 Oct 2006, 11:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ferrox

Ive got a squad of Chaos bikes that Ive not once used, I didnt realise they were T5.

People that have armies at my college don tend to use bikes because of the battle size. Alot are 1000 pts and it seems that they would rather spend the points on more marines or a tank.

1st Karma 4:07:51 AM

[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=43531.0]

Old 21 Oct 2006, 14:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It was much much MUCH easier to kill bikes in 3rd edition, they are still the same threat with a 4+ invulnerable save!

Old 21 Oct 2006, 15:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
So why is it that I've never heard people talk about what a pain bikes are? I also never see them in space marine army lists, either. So what gives? why aren't there more people using them?
Bikes are still alive, but it's true, less people use bikes than say assault marines and land speeders.

The reason is pretty simple: cost compared to impact.

Bikes are very powerful. They're T5 and generally have great saves and access to potent guns. But, they do cost a very large amount of points. They do have great rules all in their favor, what with turbo boosting and the ability to rapid-fire and still assault. But as others have pointed out, you're talking about a unit where the models themselves, just two of them, cost you the same money to purchase as it costs to get a box of 10 marines, or 5 assault marines. They are extremely costly for the price. And this does have impact because competitive players will not want to take a squad of just 3 or 4 bikes into a game. That's not going to survive and it will not make such an impact. They need more bikes, several units. And that's the clincher.

Bikes really need to have numbers to make it in the game. And having more than one squad also helps immensely. Unfortunately this is expensive both in game, and for your money.

Anyhow, some people still use bikes. Scout bikes are indeed great, but unfortunately in the game, they're so easily killed that it makes their cost a problem. Then when you compare that to assault marines, who carry the same weaponry and don't have the high cost and have great saves still, you've got a clear winner. Assault marines are simply better in that way and can get a lot more attacks for their cost range. Then land speeders are around, which can have assault cannons--which for obvious reasons, are attractive to buy at any cost.

So where are all the bikes? Eating the dust of the Assault Marines and Land Speeders....

But, bikes for your commanders are still prime!

Cheers!