Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Space Marine Bikes
Closed Thread
Old 19 Oct 2006, 01:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Space Marine Bikes

Not so much a rules question (as with my Warbike query) but one of logistics in 'RL'. (FL? Fluff World?)

Anycase, I recently picked up a Space Marine bike to konvert into a ride for my Warboss. Then I noticed the lack of steering systems.

Seriously, it has two columns running from the main section to the front wheel housing, and no way to rotate either. Apparently, Space Marines are supposed to turn only by leaning over or tailplanting.

The only possible way I can see to influence the wheel housing to steer is for the connecting columns to lengthen or shorten inversely to each other, but they don't realy look like they can move.

Discuss.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 01:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Space Marine Bikes

Y'know, I never noticed this. I suppose you're right...

This explains why they don't need to steer!

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 19 Oct 2006, 01:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Perhaps it depends which bike you're looking at,

My bikes have the handle-bars attached to the front wheel. If you look under the shield plate that covers those handle-bars, the entire shaft is connected to a single pivot just like on real bikes in real life. It's connected by a tiny place on the sides, which is unrealistic, but looks to me like something necessary to be able to achieve the mold for assembly.

The steering mechanism is there, just like real bikes.

Cheers!
Old 19 Oct 2006, 02:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think I understand what you mean, how the "steering" shaft and the bike are one piece and still attached to the wheel, thus making the whole thing unable to turn, right? I think that was mostly done because it would be a tad bit difficult to mold that (at least in the past), not to mention that the front plate would cover most of it anyways.

If you're really looking for something to gripe about, look at the bikes' lack of ground clearance and shocks, if the riders hit any sort of rough road they'd go flying .

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Current Armies: The Lone Wolves 2092 pts
Hive Fleet Basilisk 1601 pts
Old 19 Oct 2006, 16:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
My bikes have the handle-bars attached to the front wheel. If you look under the shield plate that covers those handle-bars, the entire shaft is connected to a single pivot just like on real bikes in real life. It's connected by a tiny place on the sides, which is unrealistic, but looks to me like something necessary to be able to achieve the mold for assembly.
Hmm, I found something reminiscant of a steering pivot when I reexamined from below.... it just appears so solid, perhaps it's the older mould techniques. (My bike came with three Second Edition SM backpacks & bolters !)

Quote:
If you're really looking for something to gripe about, look at the bikes' lack of ground clearance and shocks, if the riders hit any sort of rough road they'd go flying
Space Marine Special Rules 101, my friend - And They Shall Know No Unpaved Roads .
Closed Thread