Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Toe to Toe and Wall to Wall with the Tau
Closed Thread
Old 15 Oct 2006, 20:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Toe to Toe and Wall to Wall with the Tau

Today my opponent managed to pack a full 2 dozen firewarriors into a bunker. He litterally could not fit another model into the building. They managed to put some hurt on the Deathwing, fireing from thier hard cover, and i was plagued by some poor armor rolls against his stealth suits (4 failed save out of 8 dice. Yikes!)

As my assault termies had yet to arrive on turn 4, and his crisis suits where erasing my Dreanought and collapsing my right flank, I needed my luck to change. I needed a hero.

I found my savior in my captain. Armed with a TH & SS, he broke formation with the squad he was attached too, and, using his extra move through cover die, he made a long dash around the bunker, to the door on the Tau side.

He breached the bunker with his Thunder hammer, and proceeded to stand in the doorway, pasting Tau left and right. They couldn't win, and they couldn't escape. It was beautiful. It only got better when he called in the Assault termies on his tele homer to help speed up the slaughter.

I did raise some questions, though. What happens when his squads break, and My captain is in the door way? They can't escape, but i can't make a sweeping advance. We played it that they fled to the bunker's far wall, just to keep things moving, but is there any precedent for that?
Rapid Fire

Gets 'em every time

Old 15 Oct 2006, 20:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Toe to Toe and Wall to Wall with the Tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustafer Jones
What happens when his squads break, and My captain is in the door way? They can't escape, but i can't make a sweeping advance. We played it that they fled to the bunker's far wall, just to keep things moving, but is there any precedent for that?
Yes, it's in the rulebook on page 48. It's called 'Trapped'. Basically, everybody dies. All of them.

The best bit is, you get to do your evil genius laugh until your opponent buggers off to get a cup of tea.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 20:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

Tom was pretty straight on there ^_^

Funnily enough, the example in the rulebook is about Tau and marines

Next time he'll be more cautious with putting a lot of FW's in one place with a small escaperoute.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 20:50   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I am little confused, though. The model that breached the bunker was able to get into close combat with the Tau inside? Your opponent couldn't kill him in the subsequent shooting phase with 48 shots!?
Old 15 Oct 2006, 20:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
I am little confused, though. The model that breached the bunker was able to get into close combat with the Tau inside? Your opponent couldn't kill him in the subsequent shooting phase with 48 shots!?
Well obviously the good Captain took the 'Bullet-proof' upgrade from the armoury. There is a bullet-proof upgrade right?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 21:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

48 shots isn't really that probable to kill him. Or, in fact they should've put around 5.3 wounds on him (power armour) or 2.7 wounds (terminator). However, we've seen some lucky rolls before
Old 15 Oct 2006, 21:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I thought they all died. *I even told him they'd all die, but we were playing so casually that we weren't picky about the rules. *It was turn five, i was in CC with his whole army, and it was over either way. *He was also a lot younger than me, so I didn't want to open his eye to the harsh realities of war.

He didn't die due to cunning manuvering on my part. *He was linked up with a 6 man squad, and 48 shots caused 3 casualties. *Then, on his turn, he parted company with the squad, rushed the bunker, and sent the squad around the side to kill some stealth suits.

I would have paid good money to see the the blood bath that ensued when my Captian burst through the door and started swinging that hammer around in that sardine can. *I'm tracking his kills, but only when he kills other ICs. *Still, this may be dramatic enough to earn him another hash mark on his shield.

Truth be told, the fire warriors did wound him in CC. We were all duely impressed. Then he slaughtered them to a man.
Rapid Fire

Gets 'em every time

Old 15 Oct 2006, 21:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olannon
48 shots isn't really that probable to kill him. Or, in fact they should've put around 5.3 wounds on him (power armour) or 2.7 wounds (terminator). However, we've seen some lucky rolls before
Sure, but that's enough to squish a Terminator Captain and then some. He's only got two wounds you know.

I think you got lucky there, bud. But it's moments like this that make gaming great.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 23:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I would actually say you got very lucky. Even though you are playing a Deathwing army, you should have gotten horribly mangled in the shooting phase. Especially taking assault terminators and deep striking them.

Don't take this all the wrong way, you did win. It sounds like you had a fun game, and just as importantly it sounds like your opponent did also. And it was good of you to not argue the instant destruction of all his tau (now, before everyone gets out their rules and rulers to beat me with let me explain). By not sticking strictly with the rules you got a younger player to enjoy the game. Thats what we need more of- players that enjoy the game- not rules lawyers that take the fun out of the game for us. If I could I would give you Karma just for that.

Now as far as tactics go, I play Deathwing also. I run about a 85- 90% win ratio and I would love to bounce ideas and tactics back and forth with a fellow Deathwing fan. So if you'd like please feel free to message me.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 01:03   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustafer Jones
He didn't die due to cunning manuvering on my part. He was linked up with a 6 man squad, and 48 shots caused 3 casualties. Then, on his turn, he parted company with the squad, rushed the bunker, and sent the squad around the side to kill some stealth suits.

I would have paid good money to see the the blood bath that ensued when my Captian burst through the door and started swinging that hammer around in that sardine can. I'm tracking his kills, but only when he kills other ICs. Still, this may be dramatic enough to earn him another hash mark on his shield.
That is the part that didn't make sense to me. It seems like he was in close combat with the Fire Warriors on the same turn that the Bunker was breached, and that is impossible if he was the one doing the breaching. If you attacked the bunker and breached it, that should have been the end of the assault phase for him.

If I remember correctly, the squad inside the bunker will not be subject to "Trapped!" unless there was something else aside from the Bunker blocking their path. As soon as the Bunker is breached, it basically reverts to being Area Terrain with a 4+ cover save, and the Fire Warriors are free to scramble out the other end like any other ruin. To be honest, though, I can't remember the issue coming up for me, so I will need to check the rules when I get home.
Closed Thread