Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drop Pods
Closed Thread
Old 15 Oct 2006, 06:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Requisition Send a message via MSN to Requisition Send a message via Yahoo to Requisition
Default Drop Pods

Is it possible to drop pod your whole army in? If so, does that mean you get to drop pod on the first turn even? I'm a space wolf player if that matters. I ask because I didn't think you could, but have been seeing some battle reports and tactica saying such things.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 06:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Drop Pods

You can drop pod your entire army, so long as everything can go in a drop pod (ie. your character has a command squad), but you still don't get to drop on the first turn.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 06:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Requisition Send a message via MSN to Requisition Send a message via Yahoo to Requisition

Does then your opponent then just move on the first turn and then it's the second turn and you start rolling for reserves?
Old 15 Oct 2006, 07:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requisition
Does then your opponent then just move on the first turn and then it's the second turn and you start rolling for reserves?
Pretty much.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends. a friend of a friend (The First Cortana Letter) R.I.P KJ
Old 15 Oct 2006, 12:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Makes for a boring first turn eh? You opponent will have the advantage of being able to move on the objectives while you do nothing, but when the pods start falling you can be anywhere and everywhere at once!

Bear in mind though that they probably won't all arrive simultaneously. Roll for your all of your reserves and once you know what's going to land, decide where you want it accordingly. If you roll and place them one at a time, you may put down the first in a risky location, expecting other pods to land nearby in support, only to find that they're all alone.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 17:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Makes for a boring first turn eh? You opponent will have the advantage of being able to move on the objectives while you do nothing, but when the pods start falling you can be anywhere and everywhere at once!

Bear in mind though that they probably won't all arrive simultaneously. Roll for your all of your reserves and once you know what's going to land, decide where you want it accordingly. If you roll and place them one at a time, you may put down the first in a risky location, expecting other pods to land nearby in support, only to find that they're all alone.

Like Tom said, first turn will be boring but while the opponent does get one move toward the objective, it will be toward your advantage.

Now you know exactly where your opponent is going and how much of his forces he is sending in that direction.

Now as you roll for each pod, you can decide what to do.

I like to split his forces up by using the Drop pods as cover and isolating individual units. like so

enemy forces drop Pods/your troops enemy forces
xxxx XXXXX iiiiiiii xxxxx
xxxx
xxxxx XXXXXiiiiiiiii

Now even if you get just two pods, both units can now Rapid Fire into isolated enemy unit, while the rest of your forces come in from reserves, giving you time to finish off the enemy unit. Don't forget to fire your bolters from your pods.

I would also recommend a fast mover to back up your pods incase you only get one pod in the first turn. A speeder or Heavy Weapon team can also be used to soften up your opponent or just to get him to split his forces.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 15 Oct 2006, 17:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Alright, that makes sense, thanks guys!

As a side note, my friend seems to think you can change your missiles and grenades(from grenade launchers) between frag and krak through out the game. I was under the impression you had to decide what they were at the beginning of the game. What rule is there governing this? Thanks!
Old 15 Oct 2006, 17:12   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requisition
Alright, that makes sense, thanks guys!

As a side note, my friend seems to think you can change your missiles and grenades(from grenade launchers) between frag and krak through out the game. I was under the impression you had to decide what they were at the beginning of the game. What rule is there governing this? Thanks!
You can switch missiles and grenades during the game.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 18:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks, Khanaris!

I didn't see Wolf-Tau's post before I made mine, but I do have a question concerning it. The drop pod has bolter's? How does this work? Is it a one time thing when they drop or is it alway there until it is destroyed? I guess it's time to make some actual drop pod models.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 20:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

The drop pod has a storm bolter, although it usually doesn't do much (BS2) you might get a kill off it.
Closed Thread