Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Community gaming
Closed Thread
Old 09 Oct 2006, 17:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Community gaming

I was planning my next battle report last night, and thinking how I could make it look more professional; how I could make it look more like the GW battle reports of old that we love so much. Then an interesting thought occured to me: What if you could talk to the GW staff about their battle, just like you can talk to anyone here that posts a battle report? What if you could actually influence the battle itself? Then it hit me...we can't influence the 'fixed' battles of White Dwarf, but we can have a say in battles fought by players on these forums!

And so an idea is born: 'Community gaming'. I don't know if it has ever been tried before (although if it has I'd be interested to hear of its success), but what I mean to do is host a game here in my own home, and prepare the battle in all respects (ie. write up army lists, set up the board, choose mission(s), deploy troops etc.). Then, when all is ready, a number of forum members (as many as may wish to play I guess) each choose a unit or two to command for the duration of the game.

Then, each day we play a single player turn. All players from the active side PM me with the orders for their unit(s), I execute said orders (making dice rolls, moving models etc.) and post pictures of the player turn so everyone can see what's going on.

One of the main difficulties of course will be judging distance, but I expect we can get around that by just assuming every model is equipped with targeters. That way, if anyone is unsure of any given distance, they can just PM/email me and I can measure it for them.

Maybe it's a stupid pipe-dream, but it seems to me to have real potential. We talk about Tau Online as a community with a shared obsession for our common hobby, so what better community event than a game of 40k with half a dozen players? Each game would likely last around two weeks, but I'd be doing all the work (along with anyone that want's to help me)! All you'd have to do is drop by, see how the game is progressing and PM me with your orders (although talking tactics with your teammates might be a good idea).

Stam has suggested we start small, 1000 points or so, or perhaps even as little as two squads against one another, with each model acting as an IC? I will pick up my terrain over the weekend, along with my brother's armies (he has kindly agreed to lend us an Imperial Guard army, a Grey Knights detachment and an Eldar warhost for this purpose, all painted to tabletop standard). This could become a reality in as little as a week! So if I were to go ahead and set this up, would anyone be interested in joining in? Obviously, not everyone can command the Prometheus or the Terminator squad, but someone still needs to march in the tactical squads and line up the Rhinos.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 09 Oct 2006, 18:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Community gaming

That's definitely one of the best ideas I've ever heard! That sounds awesome, I would definitely play if it gets started.
Old 09 Oct 2006, 18:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Excellant. Very positive feedback there.

I've been speaking to Stam and Mal about it and they're almost as keen as you! The beautiful thing about it is, it'll be easy to do! We all know how to play (or at least I think we do ), everyone knows how PM's work and I've had some practice taking in-game photos for a battle report. I've got a gaming mat, and come Sunday, I'll have plenty of jungle scenery and enough models for four different armys (thanks to my brother). Everything is prepared, we just need players.

Just out of curiousity, what unit would you most like to command?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 09 Oct 2006, 19:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think this sounds like a great idea. My only question is whether or not you would include different armies on occasion so that everybody on the forum could participate. If so that sounds great.
Old 09 Oct 2006, 19:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i think we'd need a list of all the units that you currently have access to.

a guard platoon or firewarrior team for me

Join the newly formed Hellcats squadron as they attempt to battle the terrorist mecha of the GRA in a post-global war Earth! This unique RPG uses an alternate timeline to the Macross series, so no prior knowledge of Macross is required. So grab your transforming Veritech mecha, hit the link and join in
Old 09 Oct 2006, 19:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd just like to use a tactical squad or IG infantry squad.

Edit:A unit list would probably help quite a bit too.
Old 09 Oct 2006, 20:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Come Sunday, I will have at my disposal an Imperial Guard army, a Grey Knights detachment, an Eldar warhost and an Imperial Fists army. Each is capable of fielding at least 1500 points and all are painted to a rudimentary tabletop standard.

I don't know about my brother's armies (I will find out), but I have at my disposal the following Imperial Fists units:
  • 3 X Rhinos/Whirlwinds (can be either, but not both)
  • 1 X Predator Annihilator/Destructor with Heavy Bolter sponsons
  • 1 X Vindicator
  • 4 X Full strength tactical squads with some limited weapon options
  • 1 X Five-man scout squad with bolters and a single heavy bolter
  • 1 X Venerable Dreadnought with Assault cannon and DCCW w/Heavy Flamer
  • 1 X Dreadnought*
  • 1 X Five-man Terminator squad with two assault cannons (claimed by O Y Montyr)
  • 10 X Terminators with two assault cannons and two Heavy Flamers between them (poorly painted by comparison)
  • 1 X Space Marine Commander with Power axe and bolt pistol
  • 1 X Terminator Captain with Power Sword and Storm Bolter
  • 1 X Terminator Chaplain with Crozius and Storm Bolter
  • 1 X Damocles Command Rhino
  • 1 X Land Raider Prometheus
  • 1 X Land Speeder Tornado with Multi-Melta and Heavy Flamer
  • 1 X Assault Squad ('The Vampires&#39

* Standard Dreadnought weapon options available - TL Heavy Bolters/TL Lascannons/Inferno Cannon & Assault Drill/Multi-Melta/Missile Launcher/DCCW w/Heavy Flamer

Now obviously we can't field it all, and if we're playing a small game to begin with, we'll probably be looking at seven players a side and some limited unit types. I must say though, I'm surprised by the number of people who would most like to play a basic infantry squad of sorts...I guess for all the high-tech tanks and skimmers zipping by, you're grizzled infantrymen at heart aren't you...Real combat is where metal meets flesh right?

I think what it'll come down to is one definitive 1000 point Imperial Fists army list and we can assign Space Marine positions from there. If you feel up to it, why don't you devise such a list with what you see here and PM me with it? I'll no doubt have to tinker to make it fit what I've got and what the majority want, but we should be able to come up with a democratically elected list that way.

P.S. - Good to see you, md99999. We don't see you around often.
Old 09 Oct 2006, 20:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would definately be interested in this. very very interested.
Old 09 Oct 2006, 20:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

So how would the battles be set up? Is it like 2 vs.2 or is it a free for all using all the armies?
Old 09 Oct 2006, 21:01   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Cheeko89

I would like to do a Squad Of Tactical Marines It sounds So Much Fun ... Great Idea!!