Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Marines as Meatshields?
Closed Thread
Old 08 Oct 2006, 04:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Marines as Meatshields?

Have you ever used your Marines as meat shields for your allied/friend's armies? I always get yelled at for using my Marines as meat shields for my Sisters of Battle.

But think, at T4, 3+ Sv, and armed with Str. 4 bolter, they make perfect cover for my Sisters.

What do you think about using Marines as meat shields?
Old 08 Oct 2006, 08:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Marines as Meatshields?

They don't call them ablative armour for nothing...but why do you use them in such a manner to protect something of lesser value?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 08 Oct 2006, 16:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well in mega battles I see a lot of teams set up the marine player in front of a weaker, less HTH capable unit. This is never more apparent than when tau and marines are on the same team (this may need some kind of fluff explanation, but whatever). I guess the idea is that assaulting units will hit the tougher marines as well as failed targeting checks.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 08 Oct 2006, 22:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
They don't call them ablative armour for nothing...but why do you use them in such a manner to protect something of lesser value?
They're a allied option for the WH list, doesn't make allot of sense to me though as SOBs are fairly well ballanced standing on there own.
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Old 08 Oct 2006, 23:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I can definatley see using them as shields, especialyl the dreadnaught and rhino mobile terrain pieces.
Old 09 Oct 2006, 00:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
They're a allied option for the WH list, doesn't make allot of sense to me though as SOBs are fairly well ballanced standing on there own.
Ahh, but have you any expirence with them? They may seem well standing...but when Shuriken Catapults wound on 3+...it can get bloody.
Old 09 Oct 2006, 03:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacePuppy
Ahh, but have you any expirence with them? They may seem well standing...but when Shuriken Catapults wound on 3+...it can get bloody.
I'm not following you here :-[ Sister's are cheaper with the same saves as a marine, how does facing a 'pult make them any worse than a marine ? By my math they'd be a bit better... but I won't prend to know all the angles here
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Old 09 Oct 2006, 16:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgue
I'm not following you here :-[ Sister's are cheaper with the same saves as a marine, how does facing a 'pult make them any worse than a marine ? By my math they'd be a bit better... but I won't prend to know all the angles here
Yeah, I'm with Morgue on this one, it's all about power armour. A Marine's toughness 4 over a Sister's 3 is actually a minor factor. I'd only use Marines as a meatshield to protect something of greater value that's not able to defend itself adequately from a given threat. Footslogging assault units are the biggest example of this.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 13:58   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I would never use marines in this way. I play in a way so I choose something to die on the other side and kill it no matter the cost. After all of their power house type things are dead I mop up the rest, usually having squads of scout get objectives. I would never use them as meatbags for allies. Im also huge into fluff so that may be part of it.